Print Dad

Thoughts on going back to original

Hello All,

Well the season is about over for us and up to now we have not

won a trophy of any kind.

I know that trophies are not really that important but it would have been

nice to win one once this season

I think our car looks pretty damn good on the outside and interior.

I have been talking to a few people at shows and they are suggesting I

do some work under the hood as far as looks

currently the car has Chrome Moroso valve covers

Braided hoses and a blue specter flow air cleaner

I pretty much like the looks - but now people seem to think

I should go bak to complete stock looks

I understand that the car is ours and beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I was just wondering what you people think would help our car

look better

One friend suggested putting on 17's and low profile tires but I sure like

the 70's look of the keystones

Gotta admit it is a little discouraging to not win one trophy all season

I honestly think the car looks pretty cool

I should and will post a picture of the motor - but for now what

do you guys think would help.

Should I go back to stock look including hoses, clamps

and all that goes with it

Thanks all

Print Dad (SAm)

post-12972-0-47050500-1474866388.jpg

post-12972-0-19265800-1474866435.jpg

I think you've got a great looking car.  Up here in MN it would pick up a trophy or two depending on the show.  Most the Mustang specific or Ford specific shows people get crazy about originality and rarity.  Some of the bigger shows it's all about how crazy you go with the modifications.  I've seen some pretty ugly cars win because they were 1 of 12 or something. And I've also seen some really weird cars win because someone dropped a 454 into an Opel or the like.   Local car shows around town celebrations (every town in MN has a xxxxfest during the summer, many with car cruises and/or shows) are the best places to pick up a trophy with a good resto-mod.

I've got a coupe so I've written off winning a trophy to be honest.  They always go to the Mach 1s, Fast Backs, and Convertibles.   IMHO - I'd say have fun showing it, have fun working on it, and above all have fun driving it.  

If you really want to win try dropping a Power Stroke into it..  I don't think anyone's ever done that before.  i kid... I kid...

Your car looks great. When we first started showing our Mach 1 everyone told us the two important things were clean and workmaship. Not what you have done to your car but how well you did it, is everything neat and fit well. When it comes to cleaning, clean, clean and clean some more. If any of the shows you go to you can ask for a copy of the judging sheet to see what you need to work on. If you like the way your car is I wouldn't change it, just make sure it's clean and neat. Visiting with other car guys and making new friends is as much fun as winning trophies.

Awesome looking car for sure. 

I agree with what has been said before.  Clean, clean clean.  I used to run a very large car show on the east coast and the amount and quality of cars was amazing.  What we also saw, even with prepping the judges as much as we could, it sometimes still comes down to personal taste for that judge.  Cars were always spotless, but you could see variations of judging, just based solely on the judge.  If it is important to win trophies, I would suggest, like someone else did, ask for the judging sheet to see where you are getting dinged.  If it is a particular area all the time, then you know where to focus on improvements for either looks, modifications, or cleanliness.  

As far as making changes on the car, I would ask, what did you build the car for?  If you built it for shows and to win trophies, then you may need to make some changes to meet what the judges are looking for.   If you built it just to have fun and maybe enter some shows and try to win some trophies, then I think just enjoy the car.

That is an awesome looking car and very unique looking.  

Hello All,

First - May I say Thanks for all the ideas and thoughts

NEXT - - I would like to say that I think I was just in a little funk the other day.

I must admit it would be nice to win a trophy but in reality that is NOT important.

I think I was just  having one of those days. I must admit  - we went to several shows this

year and I was hoping to at least win once trophy.

Some of the shows we went to only had 25 cars and we still couldn't win  LOL

Other shows were pretty large.

I honestly don't mind losing - -heck at some of the shows there were cars that were

far more deserving than ours.

As I say - -I think I was just a little disappointed and had thought we had a chance

at a third place.

In reality - I think our car looks pretty good. If I were to rate the car I would say the

body is a solid 9 - - -- the interior is also a 9 - -the undercarriage is about a 9

and the engine compartment is an 8ish. I think this is the area I will focus a little more

attention on.

Yes - -when I work on the car - -it is done neatly and I try to make it look as though

it came from the factory. There is room for improvement in the engine comartment

I think one of the reasons I was a little bummed is that it seems to a lot of people it is just

another car on the road. It is hard for some to understand the work that I have done on

the car over the years and the care we take in it's looks

So I think my wife and I will have to be happy with how we feel about the car and

just enjoy it for what it is.

So Thanks - - and I really appreciate all the advice and words of wisdom.

I was gonna post a picture of the motor but not sure where one is  LOL

Tough to get old  

Be well - -work safe and keep enjoying your rides

Print Dad

car show judging is a joke. 

for the most part, i've found it much nicer, to simply register, then put a display only/do not judge sign on my dash and hang out.  then i don't have to worry about what might have happened with the awards.  i'm the hardest and best judge of my car.

A lot depends on the type of shows you are going to.

For modifications to appeal to most people they have the like what you did like they would do it themselves.

Original appeals to everyone.

I don't worry or care about the trophies. I go to have fun and participate

Bob

It all comes down to what your happiest with.  I think your car is a beaut.  The trophies make going to the shows that much better and I assume your chasing that high that comes with winning.

Btw i fixed your missing avatar :)

Hello bswor,

Thanks for fixing the avatar thing.

I like our car and I think it looks pretty cool.

As far as chasing trophies - -NOPE - - I have a few from

before we had it painted back to the Grabber Green.

Trophies are not really what my wife and I care about.

It is hard to put into words - -when we go to shows - a lot of 

people comment on the car and that is cool.

I guess I was just a little BLUE about not wining at all this year.

Yes winning a trophy kinda validates all the work I have done and

had done - (paint and body)

I agree that judging is not really all that accurate at most shows

and a lot has to do with popularity.

My wife thinks I should put the original valve covers and all that 

stuff - -but I am leaning towards leaving things the way they are 

just do a little neatening and cleaning

One thing I know - -there area a lot of cars worse shape than ours

and there are a lot of cars that are just better.

I often run into a guy that bought his car from a museum and it

haws low low miles = =that car is special - - - - he deserves to win

Nope - - trophies are cool but meeting people and sharing scraped knucle

stories are priceless

Thanks all - -I am fine now and I know our car will be part of the family for a 

long long time

Be well

Sam  (print Dad)

Spent many a summer going to car shows...Spent my honeymoon at SAAC-6 (Shelby meet)

Weekend after weekend..... My farther+mother would go along with some friends at times.. 

Never got a trophy but got a lot of road time and many a good memory..

Strange but now you could not pay me to enter a car show?....... I will park in the parking lot and walk into it...

Print Dad, here is my take. Your car is gorgeous. Very stock on the outside, other than the wheels, Could the hoses and air cleaner and such under the hood be sending a mixed message to the judges? Under hood mods but stock outside may say "I'm not sure which direction to go." Just my view but no matter. That is one beautiful car.   Dave R.

So I joked about putting a Power Stroke in earlier and today I came across this forum doing a different search.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?3980-69-Mustang-Fastback-diesel

I don't see that anyone actually did it but I guess the answer from the Diesel folks was to use the motor out of Mercedes and leave a whole in the hood to show it off.

Still think your car is great looking Print Dad... I wouldn't personally change a thing.

Here you go Dan, a trophy for one beautiful car. I too hit that slump last year entering my 70 vert in car shows, especially after giving her all the my sweat, love, labor, and $$. Entering shows now to me is all about that one person that says "WOW", new found friends, sharing the car's story, and also being able to help another Stangster out. After all, you're driving your trophy, the other is just a piece of wood or plastic.

post-45407-0-39413900-1476142348.jpg

Hello All,

well my wife and I attended a nice show today -coming to he end of the car season

There were a LOT of cool cars. The weather was a little cool but still a nice day

They had one trophy for Mustangs - - goes what ????   Yup - -we lost again  LOL

But we didn't loose - -we just didn't win - a lot of people had kind words to say about the car

No really I think our car looked really good - -we spent most of the week cleaning the interior

and engine compartment.

The car that won and wins and all the shows is a 69 Shelby - -it is a cool car but the guy has

done nothing to it. The paint is all cracked and the motor is dirty - but it is a Shelby.

A little bummed but we got a lot of comment on our car and that was nice

You people are all correct - -the trophies are not important  - -what is important are the

people we meet and the bond we share with our stories of broken knuckles and grief

so we are OK - -gonna make some changes this winter but no matter what- -we LOVE the car

and it is our trophy for sure

Thanks all for helping to remind me that we have a pretty cool car and we are

proud to have it in the family. Who knows in another 40 years maybe she will be

even cooler   LOL

Thanks again all

Sam 

Well I understand your wish to have a trophy to place on the shelf showing all of your work was not in vain, But it is nothing but a dust collector after about a week.

Your problem is like mine, its neather all stock or fully modified so it has No Class to be judged in.

Like the last show I went to, When reg at the table the fellow wanted to know what class I wished to be placed in?

My response was the No Class one as I did not care. I just wanted a up front parking spot for my car so it was safe from the parking lot dings.

Its like listening to the remarks of one fellow about how this wasn't correct or that wasn't done right I asked to see his car so I can see where I could make improvements to mine. His response was I don't have one!  So his comments were His take on what it should be.

I explained that this is MY car and it is built for what I wanted to do with it, It is not trying to show a factory correct (boring) car nor is a overtly modified car with all the new age electronic crap. It is period correct of what we did to our cars back then with a limited budget working at the pizza joint. (yes my age show it along with the gray hairs) The idea is old school like the driver, It is built to have fun in not pull it out of a trailer and dust it off for shows and put it back in later before the dew has a chance to fall on it.

Like the last show where I got dinged for 2 dead bee's on the radiator and lost to the trailer queen next to me by 4 points, Hell I had just drove 450 miles in her to get to the show while the other guy just backed out of the trailer and parked.

My point is the only one needed to be satisfied is the owner.

Good for you! You built your car for you and your family. You may have had a son or daughter pitch in , maybe your wife. Also a friend may have contributed somehow.  This is what this hobby Is about. The love for our cars to be sure , but most of all it's about the important people in your life. Also when some say nice car, That's good too.

Just recently I went to this cruise night with my Mach 1. There was this young man oogling my car. He took pictures and  ask a ton of questions. I answered them all. Then when the evening was winding down. I let him start the car. He was absolutely thrilled! His Mom and Grandpa were stunned I would do this. They took pics of him in the car and he was very happy. THIS IS WHAT IT"S ALL ABOUT!

just my opinion!

Hello Ashlee mach1,

Super job - - way to go.

When we take our car to any meet or show - -I always let young people

sit in the car and take pictures.

The young are the future of this hobby. Many times parents are surprised that

we would let their children sit in the car - -but it is always my hope that one day

they will be the older generation allowing younger people to sit in their car.

I could not agree more - -the young people area the future - -I hope others 

will consider doing this as well

Congrats on your kindness. One day - one of these kids will say - 

I remember this old guy that let me sit in his car"  LOL

I had never thought of letting them start the car - -but I will consider that in the future

Thanks again - -be well - -work safe and enjoy the ride

As others have said, if and when I go to a show, I'll park out on the street. I'll turn up when I feel like it, not get parked in, not get my car damaged and not have to put up with the "know it all" people who don't even have cars. I enjoy the drive there and the drive home. Some of the cars are interesting but I find I walk past most without a glance.

This kind of sums it up for me, there was a car show here in town a few weeks back, a few blocks from my house. But instead of going, I drove an hour and a bit to my parents place and watched the ocean gong super boats race on the lake near my parents house. That was heaps more fun. I got asked a few times why I didn't go, but driving my car, a couple of cold beers with my mates and watching fast boats, well that easily won.

Hello all,

Well there was some great news yesterday - - we went to a local car show

yesterday - it was about 2 minute drive from our house.

It was a cold damp day but my wife wanted to go.

we were lucky enough to win -"People's Choice". So we got a trophy for this year.

I must admit I was happy and somewhat surprised - - - -

BUT

The real thrill was showing our car to former students of mine. I got to show them

what I enjoy when I am not at work. Of course it was very special to show the car

to local politicians and old friends.

I met a guy I had not seen in 50 years - -we were once pretty good friends - -he had a

cool Nova.

My wife is a lunch mother and there were sooooooo many young children there.

​They would run over to her and hug her and she would let them sit in the car while

their parents took pictures.

So I am happy we won something - -BUT what I will remember about the show

was a number of things

1. - Seeing old friends

2. - Seeing some cool different cars

3. - chatting with local politicians and police LOL

4. - Watching the kids hug my wife and telling their parents how they loved her

5. - Talking to club members of a Mustang club we joined a few months ago

​So yes - -it is kinda nice to win - -but the memories have nothing to do with the trophy

So many people asked - -"what do they call that color" where did you get it painted?

Is it original

The only down note on the whole day is the horn switch seems to be stuck (rim Blow)

but I will deal with this

My friends - thanks for all the support and advice- - Yeah trophies are kinda cool but the

real thrill is so much more than just a piece of metal.

I plan to work on the car this winter and next year - -I may not even have the car judged

It only causes stress - - I think to drive the car and talk to people are so much more important

Thanks- from this OLD foolish guy

I got it - I understand

Print Dad - -Sam