Sign in to follow this  
demon69

Borgeson Power Steering

Hi There

Just wanting to hear from anyone who has recently installed the Borgeson 14:1 ratio power steering box.  How does the car drive, have you found improvement over the factory set-up.

Thanks

Peter

i just did this a earlier this year. I have to say, that for the cost and effort, just replace what you think might be the issue. I had power steering and the box was pretty wore out. knowing know what i know, i wouldve had the box rebuilt and moved on. the factory PS pump did not work with the borgeson unit which cost more. 

Just finished the installation but haven't driven the car yet.  It took some time to get a nice installation since I had to modify the stock clutch linkage to clear the power steering hoses.  I also installed the Saginaw power steering pump since I haven't heard of great results with the stock Ford power steering pumps.  I did trim and drill new mounting holes in the power steering pump bracket they provide to position it closer to the engine and use the original length belt.  I also purchased better quality spacers from McMaster-Carr for the pump bracket than what Borgeson provides.  Lastly, I painted the Saginaw power steering pump the original Ford greyish/blue color.  The Borgeson 14:1 steering box is a completely new unlike their original rebuilt Toyota steering box.  The finished install of the pump and steering box is very simple and clean compared to the stock power steering system.  There is absolutely no looseness or play in the steering wheel.  If it works as good as it looks I'll be happy with it.

I contemplated reinstalling the original power steering but on mine that would entail a different set of headers plus some exhaust work.  I have JBA short headers and the combination of the collector position on the drivers side and the stock clutch linkage there is no room for exhaust and stock power steering.  Even with that cheap drop bracket for the stock power steering cylinder that eventually tears up the frame.  The cost of new headers and exhaust work, plus sometimes the control valve and/or hydraulic cylinder are worn beyond repair, would have been more than the conversion.

Original steering boxes:

1)  The stock steering boxes can only be rebuilt if bearings and seals are the only worn items.

2)  There are no other parts available for the stock steering boxes.

3)  The roller balls of the worm shaft bearings ride directly on the worm shaft and wear the worm shaft.  After 47 years the worm shafts are almost always worn out and there are no replacements.

4)  I would be very cautious of a shop that says these are rebuildable.

If an original steering box needs more than bearings and seals don't mess with it.

I think there might be a company in California...Lee Engineering... who can convert the Saginaw box to 12 to 1....he did a Saginaw box for me in the 90's....for a hot rod 41 Ford PU I built...I even sent him the color paint I wanted the box and he painted the box to show quality then assembled the box...The 12 to 1 is unbelievable...That truck is still on the road ...saw it at Good Guys Rhinebeck, NY this summer.....