det0326

1969 door window adjustment

For you guys that are familiar with the door window adjustment. I found this pic on line that may help explain my problem. The regulator where it mounts to the window bracket on the left side in the pic has a slot that allows the window to be adjusted forward or rearward. Mine are all new 70 glass, brackets, regulator etc. I can get it adjusted horizontally just fine but when I tighten the bolt down I can still move the glass back and forth. I was just wondering since mine are all repo stuff if I was missing something between the regulator arm and window bracket. The way it is right now i see no way the arm could be tight against the t- nut in the slot.

Thanks Dave 

post-16490-0-47845200-1473538689.jpg

Hi Dave:

sometime ago I was poking around on you tube and found a very informative video from west coast classic cougar on the topic of window regulator adjustment. As I'm sure you know the cougar setup is virtually identical to the mustang.. Might be something in that video to help you out? good luck

Thanks adog   for the info. Yes I saw that but they didn't show much about the clamping of the adjustment bolt. I have all new repo bolt in stuff and for the life of me can't figure out how it is suppose to clamp. From what I gather the OEM 70 bolt in has a stud with a tapered nut that clamps the sliding action. Mine has a captured nut in the slot with a shoulder that protrudes through and you can tighten the bolt all you want but the nut will still slide back and forth in the slot. I actually fixed it by making a washer that would interfere with the sliding action and clamp it off. It could be that I was missing something in the kit. Anyway I do have it fixed now and thanks for your help. BTW welcome to the forum or first post anyway.

Dave 

I have run into the same thing when I recently did the 70 bolt in glass conversion. I have not found a solution but the fore/aft positioning of the window is definitely affecting the seal around the window in my convertible. However, I have not paid too much attention as the windows are down 99.9% of the time anyway. 

I wonder if this is supposed to be floating connection such that it has the freedom to self seek it's position? I hope not because it is causing problems for me.

I watched the video from WCC many times but it is not the same on my car. The Cougar in the video has elongated holes such that the window regulator can be slid back and forth whereas my door has fixed holes.

exactly Kip that is the way mine is also.  I saw that video and not much help either. I actually took a 5/16 washer and bent ears 180 degrees apart to interfere with the sliding motion and it works fine but never figured out how it was suppose to be done.  Every time i got mine lined up and shut the door the window would slid back so I had to secure mine.

Dave 

You guys must be talking about the rear arm on the regulator with the roller in the channel. If that forward arm mounting hole floats the whole window will move forward and rearward 1/2" or better. If it is designed to float what keeps the aft and fore movement of the window fixed? If it is not clamped somehow when the window strikes the weather strip it will move the window. Am I missing something?

Dave

Dave, that is exactly what I am experiencing. I can move the window for and aft  but if you leave it alone and roll it up and down a couple of times it will seek a spot on its own. However, the spot that it is seeking doesn't align well with the weather strip on my convertible.

Th Cougar in the video has the ability to move the regulator for and aft in the door which might influence the positioning but as I said earlier, my Mustang does not have this feature.

I suspect that there is a lot of finesse needed to adjust these things. Might the adjustment of the strut that connects to the door have an effect (by that I mean the opposite end of the forward arm that bolts to the door and can be adjusted up and down).

Steve

Yea Steve  I don't fully understand it either. A couple of guys above says it is designed to float, well if you look at where it attaches they are right, they designed it really well to make it float. The problem I was having before I redesigned it to stop it from floating is when the door is closed the front part of the window will strike the weather seal first  and actually push the window back to far and loose my alignment with the 1/4 window.

Dave

"Designed to float" is rediculous.  To be honest I haven't tinkered with a 1970 door window.  But have adjusted hundreds of door windows on both my own cars and mostly when I worked as a GM mechanic when I was younger.  I've never seen one designed to float.  If it floats, what happens if you roll up the window when the door is open?  Stand back when you shut the door and hope your don't see an explosive shower of shattered glass.

Find an exploded view of the door.  There must be something still missing.

"Designed to float" is rediculous.  To be honest I haven't tinkered with a 1970 door window.  But have adjusted hundreds of door windows on both my own cars and mostly when I worked as a GM mechanic when I was younger.  I've never seen one designed to float.  If it floats, what happens if you roll up the window when the door is open?  Stand back when you shut the door and hope your don't see an explosive shower of shattered glass.

Find an exploded view of the door.  There must be something still missing.

Well, It moves back and forth and as far as I can tell it is properly installed. Therefore, it "floats" back and forth unless you can tell specifically how to fix the fore and aft movement.

Steve