machm1970

AOD crossmember in a convertible

I'm almost ready to put the AOD in my '70 Vert, all I have left to buy is a crossmember and torque converter. The convertibles have the reinforcement plate that connects the floor pans and the exhaust runs above it (I have 2.25" exhaust). I want to get a crossmember that will give enough clearance for the exhaust to still go above the reinforcement plate. What have you had success with?

Thanks,

Matt

Hey Kip, your car looks almost exactly like mine.  I have magnum 500 wheels.

for the AOD crossmember, I made one for mine.  It was real easy, just cut some pieces of steel and bolt them together.  But I did mine long before these parts were available.  I put in my AOD over  20 years ago.   So if you are creative, you can make something. 

i did the same as danno. i cut some metal and then welded two of the "arms" that come from the brace on the car, and down to angle iron where the trans mounts on to. very simple and cheap. i tried a few other mounts and nothing worked, I saw a picture of how someone else was making and selling theirs and just made my own. 

I used the one from PATC and the exhaust goes through just fine.

_DSC1668.JPG

I have put several AODs in early cars, this type of bracket will mot interfered with you routing the exhaust as you want it to be. But as mentioned before you will need to run the exhaust a little different from that of a C4 .

Are you going to do the exhaust yourself or have a shop do it?

Bob