Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

What color are the Hood Hinges?

Looking to take advantage of the Labor Day sales and would like to buy a set of hood hinges.

I like when I see them in a phosphate color but all venders are selling them in Black, so what is the correct color?

Could it be that the hinge is black and the springs are phosphate?

Doesn't matter what they were originally unless you have a concours points judged car . make them the color you want . dark cast iron spray paint will simulate the phosphate color close enough for non judged shows and will add some contrast to the engine compartment . i would also spray the shock tower brackets as seen in the photo above and the brake master cylinder.

if the master cylinder lid is dingy you can use krylon bright silver metallic.

these were sprayed with medium cast iron color paint

IMG_20130408_170445.jpg

Ooops... yes phosphate and oil and it it is a rust preventative process/treatment.  As I said depending on the plant/assembly line these parts could be painted or P & O.  Yes again mostly a points thing.  In my case I like the assembly line original parts and finish's and restore or put them on my car when possible.  Rattle can paint is probably a more suitable finish for these, and other, parts.  The rattle can allows for color selection and touch up or even re-paint.  The P & O finish is not a one time deal as the metal will eventually rust up and to re do is a bit tedious.  I had to give it a try once but won't be doing it again.  Brian

Barnett- Not a concours points judged car, but like the look of phosphate. I thought maybe someone sold them in that color.

I'll go ahead with your suggestion paint them after the new ones come in.

Question, If I paint the new black springs, won't the black show after the spring is opened.  Any suggestions, I know there is a lot of tension on those springs?

What is a good durable paint that won't flake off after the hinges are opened time and time again?

Unless you can stretch the springs to open the coils while you paint them, then yes the original black will show when the spring is stretched after is it's painted.  You won't see it unless you can look under the hood when it is closed.  I suggest use a flat finish paint regardless of the color for springs.  It tends to hold on better than a gloss or semi gloss finish.

Dupli Color has a dark Cast Iron Grey that is the darkest I have seen for a Cast Iron finish paint.

Check with National Parts Depot.  I use to see a paint they called "Slop Grey" specifically for hood hinges, upper shock mounts, and the hood latch assembly.

Is this what your talking about.

https://www.karmustang.com/product.php?productid=7835

The color name is correct.  I've never used it.  I've seen "Slop Grey" in National Parts Depot's catalog with a description of what its used for.  Honestly, I bought my new hood hinges back in about 1995 from my local Ford dealer.  They are bare metal with whatever metal treatment Ford applied to them.  I painted the springs lightly with a flat black paint but I never painted the hinges.  They don't look that great but never rusted.  They do have a few spots of overspray on them.

I would also consider trying a flat black base, then lightly apply (mist) coats of the dark cast iron grey until you get the phosphate simulation you desire.  With the cast iron paint, the more that is applied, the more it looks like paint and not a bare metal.  Too much and it looks like grey paint.  In barnett468's picture of the hinges, it's obvious it is paint.  In my mind at that point why try to fake the bare treated metal finish.

Hmmm.....great find! Anyone have experience with this product?

Yes, I've used NPD's slop grey. Slop grey was actual paint that Ford used to on various underhood components - the hood latch bracket and the sheet metal front valence brackets are two that I can remember.off the top of my head. It was a mixture of black and whatever leftover paint they had, so it's not the same shade on every car. NPD's formulation happened to be almost an exact match for my June '69 Dearborn car. I've heard that NPD formulated the color from an actual survivor car.

For simulating P&O, I used Eastwood's Zinc Phosphate paint and liked the results. You could certainly use slop grey if you wanted (and aren't worried about concours correct)

I found these pics of slop grey parts as I was installing them..

post-1146-0-82879700-1473121609.jpg