408CJ

C6 to AOD conversion

Wondering what AOD people have used to convert from either a C4 or C6.  I'm not interested in finding a used AOD to rebuild and would like to know what success people have had with Conversion kits from PATC, or Performance Automatic, or Lentech, or B&M - or any other vendor.

I'm changing my C6 to an AOD soon.  The C6 is behind a 408 stroked full roller Cleveland with 450 hp and 510 ft/lb so I need a pretty hefty AOD.  Since the engine has a lot more potential with just a few changes I need something that will last a while.

I've looked at their websites but I'd like some feedback on what has actually worked.

Thanks.

I went with Lentech when I upgraded from my C4 and I am very happy with it.

I believe Performance has a good rep too.

I have read about staying away from PATC but I do not have direct knowledge of their transmissions. I did buy my new cross-member and a couple of other components from them and that worked out OK.

I am not sure about the others, but Lentech re-engineers the valve body so the shift pattern works with the stock shifter.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to chime in here,First Off Mr. Linden Bruce knows his AOD's.  I'd listen to anything he has to say.  Smart guy, only wants to help you and has a lot of experience. 

Here is my experience with the AOD conversion from Mike's Transmission in Lancaster:

I went with Mike's Transmissions in Lancaster Ca.  I'm happy with the results but I did go back and forth with the flex plate, be aware your flex plate in the C6 won't work with the AOD.  At least mine didn't.  I had a custom flexplate made and re-balanced.  I didn't' counting on that and the transmission shop struggled a little with this.  I am happy with the transmission performance overall.  Set up the pressure correctly.  That was the hardest part for me.  Tranny was beefed up so standard pressure settings didn't work out for me.  After dialing in the transmission it runs awesome.  I have the 351C (approx 450+ hp) that had the C6 and swapped to the AOD for the overdrive.  I did this because of the 4.11 gears that had my car sound like an airplane taking off on the freeway.  Very close to the same gears but with the OD.  Torque converter is a 2800 stall and will rip my tires no problem.  Only problem I have is hooking up.  One thing I did is add a pressure gauge to read my transmission pressure while driving,  I did this so I can easily set up the pressure with carb adjustments, removal etc.  If you have any questions feel free to fit me up.  FYI-- I went with Mike's Transmission after reading an article from a mustang magazine on line.

Well here is my AOD update.  My brand new transmission failed after less then 300 miles and of coarse no warranty.  Even after I was told not to worry about the time frame during the rebuild we would be able to work something out.  My guess is there is something wrong with the valve body.  I don't think I was getting full pressure to my clutches.  Well long story short I got another transmission and installed it but I have an issue with the shift lever.  My transmission lever is clocked up but when I connect the linkage and shift gears I don't get the full stroke.  I have the original shifter rod that came with the car and the original shifter lever with the transmission.  I can get the linkage hooked up but when I shift from park to reverse it goes through reverse and into neutral or park before the red indicator arrow points to the correct letter in the car .  Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

On a transmission change I performed many years ago, I had to drill a new hole on the transmisson lever and hooked up the linkage to that hole to match lever indicator to appropriate gear. Remove the linkage, put the lever to park inside the car, put the transmission into park using the lever on transmission; mark a line on lever at the middle of the linkage connection point (like using the linkage as a compass). Then put the shifter lever to 1 and transmission to 1, draw an other line on lever. Drill a hole at lever where 2 lines you draw intersect. Attach the linkage to this hole; your shifter indicators should match to the gear your transmission is at.

I converted a Ce to AOD one summer about 12 years ago, the only part I purchased was the tranny cable to the carb. Otherwise everything else was easy to make or modify.   Make sure you get the driveshaft yoke with the AOD, you will need to use the aod yoke to connect to your existing U joints.   Also get the wire harness that connects to the aod, you can easily splice it into your existing wires for reverse light and  started enable in P or N. 

I have everything hooked up: Cable to carb, drive shaft set up, headers installed, parking brakes hooked up.  Only thing is the drive linkage.  It looks like I need to make a bracket to extended the linkage connection point at the transmission side.  In park I can draw a line but in 1 it's off by at least 1".  I'll work on the bracket tomorrow.  Thanks for the info gents.

Update for transmission lever on AOD:

Replaced the shifter lever at the transmission side.  To do this I had to loosen the header from the head and remover hardware at the collector.  Removed the bolt inside the transmission and replaced it with a lever with three holes and a little extra length.  Gears appear to line up with transmission.  Tomorrow I adjust the pressure and hopefully take a drive.  Hopefully this will last a little while.

Thanks for the input guys!!

Here is another update:  Folded the transmission gasket and had a leak all over the garage.  Took the pan down again (4th time this round) and straightened it out.  Let's see how this works.  Will try adjusting pressure tomorrow.  What pressure are you AOD guys running with trans in drive?  I hear 3-5 psi?