Mach1 Driver

Boss 302 Chassis modifications

To answer your question "Has anyone ever seen or done the mod in Figs 6 & 7 ?", yes kinda sorta I have. But I made a completely new crossmember in order to be able to lower my engine, which the stock x-member won't allow. Since my lower control arm is adjustable, the pivot bolt is not and the bracket on the x-member has a round hole and not a slot for the eccentric adjustment.

My design is 1-1/2 x .156 wall 4130, and only has two bends which I think it's better looking and stronger that the OEM piece. I've made a few x-member members and the last pics of the unpainted one is the one I'll use. I didn't take any complete pics before I mounted it, so these will have to do for now.

If you're going to add the brackets to the stock x-member member it should be pretty easy if done with a round hole like the diagram. Some folks keep the adjustability with slots in the bracket. If using slots just make sure the slots for a adjusting the eccentric are parallel to the slots in the LCA mounting bracket.

post-5441-0-19893000-1472096437.jpg

post-5441-0-14437000-1472096462.jpg

post-5441-0-63538300-1472096535.jpg

post-5441-0-59888400-1472096820.jpg

post-5441-0-85739500-1472096856.jpg

post-5441-0-42849600-1472096899.jpg

post-5441-0-63037900-1472096950.jpg

If using slots just make sure the slots for a adjusting the eccentric are parallel to the slots in the LCA mounting bracket.

Nice  mod! Yes I see your point about making the slots parallel. What sort of activity will your car see?

One other question- are those cookies in the top picture?

Thanks M1D. In all probability it'll mostly be a cruiser w/o any track time. I live pretty close to Willow Springs and Buttonwillow road courses and Famoso drag strip, but would really hate to put it into a wall. I used to race karts and I'm confident of my ability, but with other cars on the track and mechanical failures, you never know.

Yep, a chocolate chip cookie and maybe a buttermilk donut. I'm so focused on the part for the pic, I rarely see anything in the background until I post the pic. Cookies and ice cream will be my downfall.

Yep, a chocolate chip cookie and maybe a buttermilk donut. I'm so focused on the part for the pic, I rarely see anything in the background until I post the pic. Cookies and ice cream will be my downfall.

It's too late now...might as well add in some ice cream to even things out.  Ask me how I know...

I too did something similar, but also beefed it up using 1.5" square tube. See below pic and the following build thread:  http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/topic/49239-finished-my-cobra-automotive-like-70-engine-crossmember/?p=121263

gallery_274_84_72774.jpg

Nice mod, and I notice it has the camber slot. I followed the link and as soon as I saw the part drawings I thought, yep another engineer ;) What CAD system are you using?

LOL, yeah I'm a structural engineer.  CAD system is Microstation, as we do bridges and that is the CAD program that the DOT uses.  I have AutoCAD at home to mix things up, and used it for my motor mount plans.  Check out my sig, there are threads to make your own eccentric eliminator plates, adjustable motor mounts, etc

LOL, yeah I'm a structural engineer.  CAD system is Microstation, as we do bridges and that is the CAD program that the DOT uses.  I have AutoCAD at home to mix things up, and used it for my motor mount plans.  Check out my sig, there are threads to make your own eccentric eliminator plates, adjustable motor mounts, etc

Haven't seen you around these parts lately.

CAD drawing converted into a DXF are great. Its nice to have engineers around

Yeah life got super busy with work and the two young kids.  My mach has been sitting with a layer of dust, awaiting its turn to get attention.  Forum life has been very minimal lately :(