machm1970

Original appearing LED dash lights

I used these. Not real bright but enough to see at night. These shots were in a closed garage with a little bit of light

https://www.jaycar.com.au/t10-wedge-replacement-led-globe-blue/p/ZD0392

The do white, which I used for the indicators and red which I used for the high beam.

Cheap as anything but not sure if the shop would post internationally. They are on ebay I think.

IMG_2265[1].JPG

IMG_2266[1].JPG

On 4/18/2020 at 5:55 PM, 69RavenConv said:

The only trick is finding a form factor that fits inside the diffuser - something close to the original 194 bulb dimensions. The problem with some of those tower types like the one you linked is they can be very tall. LED's produce next to no heat so as long as they physically fit the application they will be ok.

As I posted above, I like white LEDs inside the original diffusers. YMMV

[edit] Upon revisiting your link, those bulbs look good to me - standard 194 form factor..

I am now want to change my bulbs to LEDs.  I cannot see where you specify the part number of the bulb you used and where you got it. 

5 hours ago, danno said:

I am now want to change my bulbs to LEDs.  I cannot see where you specify the part number of the bulb you used and where you got it. 

Danno, I got them on eBay. Sorry, I searched my archives but could not find any record of the seller or part number. I bought them 5 or 6 years ago so they probably aren't around any more anyway.

However, you want to search for white 194 or T-10 LED bulbs. Look for the style in the picture below. As noted above, the 5050 chips are brighter than the 2825. I think I got the 2825 and they are ok but slightly on the dim side. You may want to buy a few of each and compare.

Here's a link to some I might try if I were buying today.

s-l1600.jpg

This is perfect, thank you so much for doing all the investigation!  I have them on order, about $10 for 20 bulbs, including shipping.  I will follow up with how they look and photos. 

Thanks again,

Danno

On 8/16/2016 at 11:18 AM, Raven R code said:

Ok.....what socket type is needed for the climate control and radio for that matter? I've been also having problems finding the correct brightness bulb for the courtesy light in the deluxe door panels.

I know its an old post, but for future reference...

I bought the bulb for my climate control from Hi Po Parts... I think it is the one in the link below. Just give them a call and they can get the right one for any of the bulb type we use.

https://www.hipoparts.com/non-polarized-ultra-bright-5-smd-15-led-bulb-ba9s-bayonet-base-super-wide-angle/

On 4/17/2020 at 4:24 PM, copb8 said:

Well of course the moment I post my question(s) and go back to googling I find some of the answers that I couldn't find for 2 hours before. 

So I found an installation instruction document on CJP and it appears that every light has a diffuser and that the process to replace or remove those isn't all that big a deal. (correct me if I'm wrong).

That said, I'd still prefer to find an LED light bulb that'll just fit in the existing diffusers without having to open up the cluster and remove them.

All my original diffuser are the same size. You can get different colored diffusers  and use them with a clear LED bulb. Or check with HiPo Parts webside for the bulb size that works with or without the diffuser.  https://www.hipoparts.com/.

I know that you cant mix colored lens with different colored bulbs because the resulting color is not what you would expect. For example, the green directional arrow lens have to be removed to use a color other than green.

Red LEDs are nice, but the red needles blend in with the led background color. Lacking contrast.

On 11/9/2020 at 9:21 AM, danno said:

This is perfect, thank you so much for doing all the investigation!  I have them on order, about $10 for 20 bulbs, including shipping.  I will follow up with how they look and photos. 

Thanks again,

Danno

Hey Danno, did you get a chance to install the 20 for $10 led bulbs in the gauges? If so, how do they work (color and brightness) and do they dim?

Thanks

On 8/18/2016 at 8:18 AM, Alan_Mac said:

I replaced all my Mach1 interior lights from Mustang Project. My gauge lights are green LED's without the diffusers.  They look the correct color and are dim able.  I have had them for many years.       

http://www.mustangproject.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=fe2cac2a-eb7e-4800-8ce8-39518faa39d1

This is a full kit that just drops in w/o the diffusers.  Your diffusers may be melted like many are.   The diffusers are easy to take out and it causes no other problems. 

I also bought the Mustang Project LED Light Kit but in the new Aqua color. 

https://www.mustangproject.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=7aba057b-3612-4e2a-a00f-41403e1f5d86

I installed them a couple of months ago but I left all the original diffusers in place. I also did the high beam and turn signal lights. They made a huge improvement. I can now read my gauges without my glasses. They're not so bright that the are obviously aftermarket but they're just bright enough that they probably look like they did they day the car was purchased. They are also dimmable.

For some reason I forgot to take pictures and unfortunately the car is out of pocket at the moment. Once I get back to it I'll take a couple and post them up.

Overall, I highly recommend spending the $50.00

i fitted green LEDs to my dash
Looks great...tested with headlights on and off...all good..
then went for drive, lost 2 and the rest went all dull?

Pulled dash pad and dash again...couple of the LEDs are melted?

I bought a new circuit board sheet, but wondering if i should replace the dash voltage regulator thingy?
Any tips :)

Muzzi_LEDs.jpeg

The dash voltage regulator has nothing to do with the dash lamps, only the power for the gas, oil, and water temperature.  LED's melted?  How strange...I'd examine the sockets very carefully.  Be careful replacing the circuit board, as it will be easy to inadvertently ground the gauges against the metal dash cluster housing because you can't see underneath the insulating pads and the circuit card when you tighten the nuts on the gauge posts.