MAC390

Mach 1 resto in Australia

Ash, wonder what drugs they were on when they designed these babies?

When the engine comes out i will decide about the headers then, they sound so good when you fire up the engine.

Got a few family things to do first, three daughters 8, 13 and 15 so i am busy.

This is what I've got to go back into mine. They are FPA's. They make them to order.

20160912_170104_zpsg8hfa9ar.jpg

I was told they really hug the block and are really the only header that fits in well.

20160912_170127_zps2ngnabzn.jpg

I have 4 kids myself, I hear you on them keeping you busy!

We had a long weekend down here so i had some time to get back into the car.

Cut out the rust in the doors and fitted new patch panels. Paint stripped the the fenders , found serious rust in right side cut it out and new metal fitted

Small amount of rust near the lhd striker plate fixed. Next is the engine and trans out , still working to start painting in the end of October.

The panels had heaps of paint on them and a crap repair on the right door. Iam happy with the progress.

The heads are 16 bolt cobra jet heads , do they help the 390 , just asking a question for the experts.

P1000724_zpsxygyjshv.jpg

P1000726_zpswo9vdyef.jpg

P1000727_zpsja39ybn0.jpg

P1000733_zpskoualbvm.jpg

P1000734_zpsfjcppxm9.jpg

Wow, plenty of progress!

My 428CJ engine didn't come with the original heads so can't comment too much. But I do have some 390 heads here which I did some port comparisons on between them and my Edlebrock Performer RPMs. Apart from the extra bolt holes, the ports are in a different position. Bolt holes are in the same position from head to head in relation to measurements from top to bottom. So make sure you order the correct gaskets. Same as for the intake side.

Lots of info on this site

http://www.428cobrajet.com/engine-info

and have you got Jay Brown's and Barry Rabotnick's books? Those two are a must for FE's.

http://fepower.net/GFEIC.html

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUTOMOTIVE-BOOK-HOW-TO-BUILD-MAX-PERFORMANCE-FORD-FE-ENGINES-SA183-/152162938333?hash=item236d9e2ddd:g:MDkAAMXQL99ScftM

Plenty of places to buy the second, was just the first I found

Had some spare time this evening so i attempted to get the engine and trans out in one piece.

Had the pass side header off and left side on , came out real easy, i was surprised.

Ash , been real busy with work so i will call soon.

P1000744_zpslqwucmxu.jpg

P1000747_zpsp2drwnkf.jpg

Finally got the left front floor done.

Fixed the steering box mounts, floor supports,torque box , toe board and floor.

Everything lined up, must have done something right. Now the right hand torque box then off to be painted.

You certainly find some real crap work do on these cars by po's

Painted in POR15.

P1000797_zpstqzawufw.jpg

Well , the car goes for final body alignment, work and paint next week. Got as much done as i could.

Found the repro rear valance crap and lousy fit so i am repairing the original one.

I kept a piece of the original rear quarter showing a sensational shit repair, putting it up on my wall.

Finally seeing some light at the end of the long tunnel, should have the car back in Feb next year.

Bought the blackout stencil for the hood, is it correct or i have to adjust it.

P1000818_zpsmhucasev.jpg

P1000819_zpsi56ht7bn.jpg

P1000821_zpske4wyyty.jpg

Bought the blackout stencil for the hood, is it correct or i have to adjust it.

It's been awhile since I had a look at my stencil, it's been on the shelf for 4 years. But I think the stripe is much to thick. I bought a Beugler pinstripe wheel that I'll try to do the pinstripe with. Ford used a pinstripe wheel originally from what I've read. It's the 3/32" (#73 wheel in the 471 Deluxe kit) that is the correct wheel to use.