MAC390

Mach 1 resto in Australia

Just joined and this is my first post of my wife's 69 S code.

Bought it over the net from a police officer in Virginia, tells me the car is virtually rust free.

Rear tail light panel , trunk floors, quarters,front floor pans and front torque boxes. Has the 69 shaker hood on now.

Certainly learned my lesson on trust!!!!. Numbers matching and has a 4.30 detroit locker from new.

Cut the roll cage out of it and now is progressing well.

I will have plenty of questions to ask.

Here is a few pics and now it's a lot further down the track to being finished

69%20mach%201_zps9mbp1pt0.jpg

P1000593_zpsnydjukrw.jpg

P1000518_zpsti1vwmfe.jpg

Welcome, MAC!

Don't feel like you are the only one here in Aus who had a lesson in trust. I remember the words from the mouth of my cars previous owner, "there is no rust in this car". I'll never forget that guy telling me that to my face. Many lessons learnt, and still a long way to go. At least yours rolls!

You'll have a beautiful car once done though. Nice combo too. Similar to mine. I have a 69 428CJ with shaker.

Welcome to the forum Mac! Looking real nice. Dang, you Aussies seem to fnd real asshats to buy your cars from here in the States. Good luck with your S code.

mac390, welcome aboard and good luck. Sorry about the deception that you suffered but those people pray upon buyers here in the States also. That happens when profit is the sole goal of the seller. There is a vast wealth of knowledge here so don't hesitate to ask.

As a retired 40 year veteran of law enforcement I am shamed by the lies told by a brother-in-blue.   Dave R.

It's my 70 charger r/t 440 4 speed  all original body panels only 90 k miles, finished my resto on it last year.

Ah, so RPM was right, as usual. Very nice car. In the states, all the Chargers are orange with a number "01" painted on the doors :)

Ah, so RPM was right, as usual. Very nice car. In the states, all the Chargers are orange with a number "01" painted on the doors :)

Dang Phil, I need to hire you as my PR guy if you can convince folks of the "as usual" part. I rode arond for years in a weak 318 70 Charger a good bud had in high school. My brother had a mean 69 Charger R/T 440, Dana 60, 4 speed, later changed to a CHP 413 till he lost his license. The 413 did 150 mph in the cop car. Who doesn't like Mopars?

Welcome to the site MAC, you have some nice looking toys.

Hate that you were deceived, but once your done, it will be exactly what you want, the way you want it.

Once it is finished, you'll have tough decisions to make... do I drive the Mustang or the Charger...

Yep ,those old Chargers were popular when i was in high school ,a couple of friends had 69 440 RTs .

Did you buy your Fast back off of Ebay ? A friend bought a 67 fast back ..at least that is what it was listed as ,off Ebay and it turned out to be a coupe that someone hacked the roof off of and and very sloppy welded a fast back ,and very rusty roof ,on to .Still have the guys ad printed out and if i see him trying this again i will report him .You have to be very careful on Ebay and have some one check it over very well . Looks like you did a nice job on the resto .

Yes got it off e bag, when i got the car i checked the pics the guy took and i reckon he photoshopped them.

Told me it didn't have a fold down rear seat which it does and no power steering which it has minus the pump.

What's done is done and the car is starting to look good and the end result will be great.

It's just the bull s41T that people give you. The worst part was he kept saying he was a cop and trust him and his wife is a lawyer ,how's that.

Is it unusual the the diff was a factory ordered 4.30 detroit locker.?

A cop and a lawyer huh? I'll give you a couple of examples to ponder. Back in the day testifying in court was refered to as testilying. I was sued as a copper and after the City Attorney gave a great tear wrenching closing argument, I said to him I wasn't aware of some of the facts he said in closing. He says, oh I made that up. I was flumoxed, so he says lawyers are the only folks in court who aren't sworn in to tell the truth. Just sayin.

Saturday i had some time to get back to the car, drivers front floor had a shit repair so cut the floor pan out.

Found the floor support in a bad way, so out comes the engine this week and remove the trans also.,The car has had some really bad work done on it.

The good thing about this is when i have finished all this work it's off to my buddy the painter.

I just shake my head now when i find more issues, no need to get upset anymore, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Here is a few pics and you can see the drivers side floor rust , the firewall is mint and so is the cowl.

The seat supports are great , i put in a drivers side rear short floor pan and the pass side is perfect

The rear seat area is great also, funny how the rust wrecks some parts but leaves others alone. New shaker hood sitting on .

P1000686_zpss3eszyyx.jpg

P1000685_zpsgtsqli5c.jpg

P1000689_zpsdavoneyd.jpg

P1000693_zpsjcxaxomu.jpg

P1000691_zpsz5fhabbu.jpg

This weekend got back into to pulling the car apart. Was to have the engine and trans out but been held up.

Removing the header bolts from the super comps are not fun. Stripped out the doors , not to many problems new parts cannot fix.

Soon as the engine is out i can fix the rust in the frame rail and new torque boxes. Hoping to have the car ready for paint at the end of October

Fingers crossed. 

P1000711_zpsv8uv2o1m.jpg

P1000712_zpsspeojmow.jpg

P1000716_zpsydoubbhh.jpg

P1000717_zpsqudbcqdl.jpg