RCE1313

Tachometer placement and opitions

Hey everyone, I'm wanting to add a tachometer to my current setup. I currently have the stock garages in my 69 fastback and want to keep it how it is but add an aftermarket tachometer somewhere in the car. Can y'all give me some ideas or different types that I should use or avoid? Any help is appreciated.

Autometer has both 3-3/4 inch and 2-5/8 inch tachometers that will clamp to the steering column.  I've tried both and was able to fit each one so that the original gauges do not get blocked.  The smaller one is not as easy to read in a glance but it doesn't dominate over the other gauges.

I like that, how visible is it?

It would be the best add on I have done . Great visibility and looks pretty neat. I was running a tach on the steering column but I didn't like how it covered the standard gauges. Cost about $200.

Afret- what size is the one you are running on your street car?

I'm considering just getting a pedestal mount for the steering column for now and eventually resolving the gauges entirely as RPM showed.

I also like those hood mount tachs.  I just don't want to drill holes in my hood.  I've seen the original style hood tach's in the $450.00 price range.  Where are they being sold for $200?  That's a good price.  Are they the same as the $450 price range tachs?

Just guessing, from Afret's picture, it looks like a 3-3/4" pedestal mount tach is in his street car.  By itself, it should fit rotated to the left or right so all the original gauges are still visible.

I also like those hood mount tachs. I just don't want to drill holes in my hood. I've seen the original style hood tach's in the $450.00 price range. Where are they being sold for $200? That's a good price. Are they the same as the $450 price range tachs?

Just guessing, from Afret's picture, it looks like a 3-3/4" pedestal mount tach is in his street car. By itself, it should fit rotated to the left or right so all the original gauges are still visible.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/hood-tachometer

They all come in white . I just stripped mine down and painted it . They are pretty much excact copy of the originals but with modern internals.

Afret- what size is the one you are running on your street car?

I'm considering just getting a pedestal mount for the steering column for now and eventually resolving the gauges entirely as RPM showed.

3 3/4"

I just got done doing that with an Autometer 2.5 inch gauge:

20160806_130245.jpg

I used an old bicycle innertube to cover the hose clamp and protect the steering column. I also covered the wires with heat shrink.

20160806_130324.jpg

All in all it took me about 30 min to install.

That's the same tach I currently have installed.  It's a little smaller than I would like, but fits the best in a that area.  The 3-3/4" version of that same tach also fits but is a little more tricky to get positioned to not block the other gauges.  Plus either one can easily be removed and not leave traces of one being installed.

3 3/4" tach mounted to pillar.

I've often wondered what it would be like to drive for just over 6 min and only see 6 cars on the road, and all of em going the opposite direction.

I gotta get out of L.A. :-/

I've often wondered what it would be like to drive for just over 6 min and only see 6 cars on the road, and all of em going the opposite direction.

I gotta get out of L.A. :-/

I noticed that too.  Where do you find roads like that?  I see six cars before I get out the court I live in.

I live on the outskirts of Atlanta and its like that. I lived in LA for almost all my life and you can always tell LA (besides the people, people everywhere): the sky is blue, if you can see the surrounding mountains they are brown, and there are palm trees. Notice in this video it is green- not something southern California has a lot of unfortunately.