Sign in to follow this  
LiLMike

What Starter?

How much compression does your engine have? I have no experience with MSD starters, with just over 10:1 comp I just use a rebuilt late model starter.

Side note, another more common method to wire it up is to run the hvy starter lead from the battery side of the original solenoid (so batt and starter on the same terminal), and run the smaller 12g wire from the starter side of your original solenoid. This is how I did mine. I didn't notice the different wiring on the link I posted.

Unless you really want a high dollar starter just so you know the 93 and up 5.0 mustangs used a high torque mini starter (PMGR). You can get one from Autozone http://m.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/starter/duralast-gold-starter/ford/mustang/1993/8-cylinders-e-5-0l-fi-hp/352101_43699_0?location=
It's new and comes with a LIFETIME WARRANTY for less than 1/2 the price, vs 1 year for the MSD.

Just a thought.

It occurs to me you're asking about how to pretty much duplicate the stock (more or less) setup on my 1995 F150 5.8 4R70W. With PMGR starter and fender solenoid. Because Ford made them with external solenoids for a couple of years. (Minus the extra compression and I had to pull the wounded long tubes for the time being though.)

I'm with Rsmach1 on the OEM parts counter starters. I've had lots of luck with them. The solenoids seem to be the weak point but not terribly.  If you want to go even cheaper, people have have pretty good luck with buying them off Ebay for less than what the chain parts stores want for just a solenoid. 

A while back I needed to move my non-running 351W '67 out of the garage. Rather than pulling it with the truck I decided to crank it out with the starter and the transmission in reverse. Worked just fine, my driveway is a bit uphill. Later after it was back in the solenoid went out. I didn't have a spare at the time but I did have a good used older style starter so I just swapped it on real quick. Went to pull the crank in reverse trick again and only made it halfway. Added a second battery and it STILL wouldn't pull the hill. If I didn't like my PMGR starters before I sure as heck do now. The PMGR is fixed and back on the car AND I have a spare.

OK, a lot of that sounds kind of silly but there's a whole lot more to the story of what and why I was doing all that. But it's getting late. Point is, stock style PMGR starters good, old style starters bleh. You can pay a lot more if you just really want to but I think Ford made good enough ones for me.

The Powermaster XS works great on FE motors.  Should be the same for small blocks.  You keep the wiring all the same except for a small jumper wire on the starter.  CJ Pony has a video.