Raven R code

Paint-sheen-color.....what did you have good luck with?

Getting down to the wire in the quest for correct engine bay paint. Still looking for something close in color/sheen to kryln 1613. Trying to stay away from lacquer. I do have a quart of ditzler 9423 as a backup. I have about a week or so before engine bay gets painted.

I've been around some judging, so this is what I had in my notes.  The origin is apparently from the Boss expert Bob Perkins.   I have not validated this.

The Engine compartment paint was Ditzler number DDL-9423, which is "Low Gloss Black".

There is also was a Ditzler primer that should be used under it, as you need a dark primer underneath the black. It is Ditzler DP90LF

Apparently, the DDL-9423 is no longer made, as it may have had lead.  (Hence the "LF" designation on the primer....)..  I also had a reference to PPG DP90 and a Ditzler 9000 as a cross reference to the original Ditzler 9423, but I have not used it.

My advice is to have your paint supplier contact his PPG representative.  I am sure this is not the first time this has come up.

One challenge may be if that the new product is lead free, it may not hold up.

I personally have used the Eastwood epoxy products, and I am very happy with them.  I have parts painted in the Eastwood engine black epoxy that are under the car and were painted almost 10 years ago.  They look like new.  Preparation was media blast and then the Eastwood primer.  You can't use self etching primer with the epoxies.

VHT also makes a really nice epoxy single stage paint that needs no primer.  One is called a "roll bar" paint, the other is a black epoxy.  One of them is a satin, I don't remember which.

Hope this helps.

I've been around some judging, so this is what I had in my notes.  The origin is apparently from the Boss expert Bob Perkins.   I have not validated this.

The Engine compartment paint was Ditzler number DDL-9423, which is "Low Gloss Black".

There is also was a Ditzler primer that should be used under it, as you need a dark primer underneath the black. It is Ditzler DP90LF

Apparently, the DDL-9423 is no longer made, as it may have had lead.  (Hence the "LF" designation on the primer....)..  I also had a reference to PPG DP90 and a Ditzler 9000 as a cross reference to the original Ditzler 9423, but I have not used it.

My advice is to have your paint supplier contact his PPG representative.  I am sure this is not the first time this has come up.

One challenge may be if that the new product is lead free, it may not hold up.

I personally have used the Eastwood epoxy products, and I am very happy with them.  I have parts painted in the Eastwood engine black epoxy that are under the car and were painted almost 10 years ago.  They look like new.  Preparation was media blast and then the Eastwood primer.  You can't use self etching primer with the epoxies.

VHT also makes a really nice epoxy single stage paint that needs no primer.  One is called a "roll bar" paint, the other is a black epoxy.  One of them is a satin, I don't remember which.

Hope this helps.

I have DDL-9423......the only issue is that my paint guy says lacquer never technically dries....ever. He also said that it may not hold up to staining and chemical drips too(i.e.: gas and break fluid). So based on those findings, I'm on the hunt to see if there is anything enamel based.

Dave