Sign in to follow this  
blueblood

302 to 390 swap

I wouldn't call an FE a boat anchor.  After all, FE engines powered many of Ford's top muscle cars in the 60's.  Thunderbolt Fairlanes, GT40s, NASCAR Galaxies and Fairlanes, Super Stock Mustangs, Galaxies, Fairlanes, Top Fuel 427 SOHC dragsters and funny cars, etc.  The 1969 390 that was stock in S code Mustangs was a detuned 390.  It didn't even have the 390 GT cam anymore.  If you wanted a performance big block in 1969, you went with the 428 Cobra Jet, or a lucky few got the Boss 429.

I wouldn't call an FE a boat anchor.  After all, FE engines powered many of Ford's top muscle cars in the 60's.  Thunderbolt Fairlanes, GT40s, NASCAR Galaxies and Fairlanes, Super Stock Mustangs, Galaxies, Fairlanes, Top Fuel 427 SOHC dragsters and funny cars, etc.  The 1969 390 that was stock in S code Mustangs was a detuned 390.  It didn't even have the 390 GT cam anymore.  If you wanted a performance big block in 1969, you went with the 428 Cobra Jet, or a lucky few got the Boss 429.

I think when most people refer to the FE as a boat anchor, they are referring to the 390s, which, even in the day, struggled to keep up with 396 Chevy's and 400 Ram Air Pontiacs. I still think woth proper mods, 390s are a very good engine.

I had no problems whipping most of the 396, 400, 440, and others back in the day with my 390. Intake, cam, headers, self polished intake and exhaust ports, and a stall converter. All street racing of course, which I wouldn't do these days.

Well, that may be, but even industry titans like Bob Tasca of Bob Tasca Ford went straight to Ford to push for the 428CJ in 68 Mustangs as a direct response to the level of success he was having with the 390 vs the competition. He had more resources than any of us ever had.

I had a 390 Cougar Eliminator, and a 390GT in my 66 Comet Cyclone GT, both modified with the same bolt on stuff most people did. They ran well, but didn't "whip" other big blocks on the street.

Well, that may be, but even industry titans like Bob Tasca of Bob Tasca Ford went straight to Ford to push for the 428CJ in 68 Mustangs as a direct response to the level of success he was having with the 390 vs the competition. He had more resources than any of us ever had.

I had a 390 Cougar Eliminator, and a 390GT in my 66 Comet Cyclone GT, both modified with the same bolt on stuff most people did. They ran well, but didn't "whip" other big blocks on the street.

I keep tossing around the idea of getting a 390 cheap (for example, there is one close for only $30) and a SCAT stroker kit.  Build the 390 stroker as funds and time permit, and pull my 428 and keep it for safekeeping when the stroker engine is done.  

I keep tossing around the idea of getting a 390 cheap (for example, there is one close for only $30) and a SCAT stroker kit.  Build the 390 stroker as funds and time permit, and pull my 428 and keep it for safekeeping when the stroker engine is done.  

Not a bad option at all.  Keeps your 428 intact for future and you can run the stroker for now.  Good thing is the build is just like a regular rebuild with nothing special to do.  Main reason I went stroker is because by the time I bought new parts and reconditioned what I had, it wasn't that much more to move up with more cubic inches.  

That's a great idea. Period correct 428 engines are getting more and more expensive every day. If you drive your car a bit, it would make sense. You can get a 445 kit for the 390 and have a lot of fun.