Max Power

Electric Cooling Fan conversions

69 398 stroker, semi mild roller conversion, 10.5:1, aluminum heads, etc etc

The engine sits a bit low in the bay, and I am not sure why. It has the regular motor mounts. There is a good three inch gap between the 17" flex fan and the top of the repro shroud, and I actually had to Dremel the bottom part of the shroud away because the fan would hit it. The fan clears the tranny lines at the bottom of the radiator by maybe a half inch at best.

So, a larger fan is not an option, I have already converted to an ACP 24" 2 row HP aluminum radiator, which works great when the car is moving, way better than brass. But sitting a long time in traffic, like going in the one and only one entrance to the Street Machine Nats this year, the needle climbs steadily up. It was damn warm when I finally found my spot, didn't have any equipment to tell exactly how warm.

So, I think I would like to upgrade to an electric fan setup, but with some caveats. I see there really isn't a turn key solution, so I am thinking I want a system where my factory temp gauge is still functional, and I don't have to upgrade my factory 55a alternator. I am willing to run a relay for the fan so it runs off the battery, of course.

So, I know a bunch of folks out there have done this conversion, share with me what you have learned. Totally cool with aftermarket, not sure I have the space to do the Taurus fan thing.

Yup, the Contour fans work well.  I have the same ACP radiator in my '69 with the Contour fans.  I've been driving slowly on the dirt roads around here ( 10 MPH max which is basically idling) so I don't throw up too much dust.  I have one fan come on at 185* and the other at 195* with switches to manually turn them on.  So far with one fan on the temperature creeps up to 195* but when the second fan turns on, the temperature drops to 185* where the second fan turns off.   If I keep the second fan on the temp keeps dropping to about 180* where I just turn it off so I don't know how low it will go with the two fans on. The outside temperature has been in the 80s.  The engine is a 482 FE with a mild/moderate solid roller cam.

IMG_3939_zpswf8fwadm.jpg

You will probably need to go to a 3G alternator though.  I did the swap which was simple.  There is a 95 amp 3G alternator that is the same size as the old alternator but the one adjustment bolt is metric so you just need to get the correct bolt.  It powers the Contour fans, fan for transmission cooler, electric water pump, electric fuel pump, and MSD 7 no problem.  These guys carry the alternator and wiring kits for the swap.  I used the kit to get rid of the voltage regulator.  You can find the alternator cheaper elsewhere though.

http://www.paperformance.com/95a-3g-alternator-1614e/