Sign in to follow this  
cobra445jet

Drum to disc...

I have factory manual front drum brakes on my 69. I want to convert them to disc. I have a set of disc brake spindles from a 70 mustang that Ive kept for years. The car has 15 inch Shelby wheels that I want to keep on it.  Any suggestions on what I need to do...

Step1. think about how much you want to spend.

2.Were you want to buy it.

3.Remove credit card from wallet.

4.Make the call.

5. Impatiently what for UPS

6.Install.

7. Enjoy what you have done.

I have nothing to add on price and quality of whats out there.

You should rebuild the brakes while off of the car.

Turn or replace rotors

Rebuild calipers

Replace bearings and seals

Replace brake hoses

Then install on car,,you will need to also buy 70 outer tie rod ends for the conversion.

You will need to,change your master cylinder. You can go manual brakes or,if you want power you will need a booster and the correct pedal.

You will also need the correct distribution block and you will have to modify the brake hard lines or buy new ones

If you need this car as a driver then be sure you buy all,the parts before you begin the swap

Bob

If I part my car out, still on the fence...I'll have almost everything you need, pedal, lines, portioning valve, and booster. Booster could be used as a core.

cobra445jet,  probably the best idea yet.  Buy everything from brake pedal down to the rotors from a car that is being parted out.  You might still need to replace a few things like the master cylinder and brake hoses, then rebuild or replace the calipers, and machine the rotors.  But without question, you will have everything you need to make the conversion.

If you're staying with manual brakes you won't need the power pedal or booster. You will need the rotors, calipers, dust shields, flex lines, disc/drum master cylinder which are still available, along with the mentioned dist block and prop valve, or use one for a 70 which has the dist block and prop valve combined. The connecting brake lines will also be needed. I don't know if the 4 wheel drum cars had the brake warning wiring connection. I'd check with Dan at Chockostang http://www.chockostangclassicmustang.com/discbrakepowersteering/discbrakeconversions.html

and would bet he has everything you need.