JD08

70 Ignition switch connector problem

I recently had my wiring harness refurbished by Midlife and among the things he found were various burned connectors, including the ignition switch. So finally having the time to put in the new harness I discover what made the ignition switch burn. It looks like they burned the connector and then bypassed just to get it working.

I now see that finding a repro switch is pretty difficult as they are out of stock most everywhere, so I got to wondering. Is there a way to repair this keeping in mind that my electrical knowledge is pretty much at the novice level?

burnt connector

Cut ignition wire

Photo is a bit small so i cant really see the problem..

IF I was on the side of the road... I would cut both connectors off than solder and srink tube

something a little more available on it....The odds are in your life time it would never be an issue..

This WOULD change the originality of the car a bit..

I uploaded a larger picture. Maybe this will help. I'm not concerned about originality, but I'd prefer not to butcher this any worse. I'm just curious if replacing the one damaged pin is possible and if so, how to do it, where to get parts, etc.

It's the lower left connector.

Bigger burnt connector

I can't click on the picture to see it full size: I don't have permission to view.

I believe I have a 70-72 ignition switch connector that I can pull the pin from so you can replace the pin.  If the connector is melted, you might not be able to lock the pin in place.  If that's the case, I could provide the whole connector. But first, I gotta see if I have it!  PM me if you're interested.

Thanks to everyone for their help, but I've decided to err on the side of caution and get a new switch. I don't trust a single splice the previous owner made since finding out the ignition switch and NSS switch were burned up on my old harness and seeing how he had the fuel pump wired. I ended up finding a new one at a surprisingly reasonable price given the scarcity.

Ray, splicing a wire doesn't make you a butcher, but splicing the same wire several times isn't something I'd prefer to do. Fortunately it doesn't look like the previous owner did any work on the headlight and taillight harnesses because this will mean I've replaced every switch and all the wiring. I'll have nobody to blame but myself from here.

A little further inspection shows some burning near some of my splice-happy PO's handiwork.

0709161232 resized

0709161256 resized

Edit: apparently I wasn't looking at it correctly. That's what happens when you see your new part at 1:00 am and don't check things through before writing a post. My apologies.