Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

WTB Dash Pad- AC type or not?

I'm in need of a dash pad and CJ Pony is having 30% off today, that's a $100 savings.

The sale is for an original Ford tooling from Dashes Direct.

Is that a good replacement vs. TMI's?????????

My car has no AC and was going to install an aftermarket unit. So, should I get the Dash Pad with the AC cut out or not?????

I just replaced my Deluxe door panels with a set from Mustang Market, I see that they don't make a Dash Pad.

Which MFG would best match the Mustang Market door panel or does it matter????

Happy 4th of July and THANKS too all who served!

Be carefull, the aftermarket A/C units have a different size cutout in the dash which I believe is smaller than stock. Check the A/C unit you want to purchase first. It's easy to cut out the correct size opening for the center vent.

ok, that is the best dash pad made but may require very minor trimming of the foam in some areas.

you do not need the cutout . you can just install the vents that mount under the dash but thats a bit hokey.

vintageair in florida can give you some info also . as mentioned, not all aftermarket ac units use the same stuff so i unfortunately, i dont think there is one right answer.

What I did was buy the non AC kit, but an AC dash pad.  I then bought a center vent from ebay and purchased the center vent adapter for an AC equipped kit from the AC kit vendor.  They will (at least Vintage Air will) sell the individual parts separately.  It was inexpensive for the vent adapter and the factory vent looks better in my opinion.

Mike

Generally, the only difference I can think of is that the non AC kit comes with the vents, so you have to drill some pretty large holes in your dash to install them.  I like the look of the factory center vent better, but the side vents are close enough to the factory ones that I don't mind.

I've contacted Vintage Aire, they said that the kit comes with a vent different than the stock looking type, it does install in the center dash pad.

Question- Would it be better to use the Vintga Aire Vent or Stock vent???

Based on their saying, I've already ordered the Non-vent dash pad. 

Could I still use the stock vent by just cutting a hole in the dash pad or do I need the preformed OEM cut out on the dash pad to use the stock vent???

ummm, you can NOT put a stock vent in  nn ac dash the vent area is recessed . the dashes are completely different . if you install a vent in a non vent dash, it will not sit flush because the dash pad s curved . if you want a center vent, you need the vented dash.

I do not have an AC vent dash pad to compare to as well as any experience with one. Thanks for that bit of info!

I've placed an order for the non vented one with CJ and as always it's on back order,  so I might have time to change the order.

Is it best to get a vented dash with an aftermarket AC kit?

From speaking to Vintage Air they have a vent that is used for no vented dash, would their vent look at of place, not looking original???

Here's a picture of their kit.

post-14069-0-05636000-1468078832.jpg

Well John you are like me the decisions are always hard ones.  I ordered an A/C dash pad from CJ also and received it yesterday and as barnett said the way the vent opening is made I see no way you could cut that opening to fit the stock vent. You may also want to try to source the vent because I know just a few years ago they were not reproduced and it may be hard/expensive to find one this might be your deciding factor. Even tho if you purchase the A/C dash the side vents would look out of place this may or may not be a concern to you but if you had the A/C dash pad and decided to change the lower dash later that would be an option too. If you don't care about originality then bottom line it would be what you want.

Dave

mauleta- Nice build page, there's a lot of good info on there. Thanks!

Barnett- That's what I'm thinking, but the more I think about it, I think I'm gonna exchange for the AC vent. I like the more stock look and maybe later I can get an AC lower dash.

Thanks guys for your input!!!!

I currently don't have a/c, but planned on buying an a/c dash pad with vent to use when/if I ad it. However my plan slipped my (what's left of it) mind when I ordered the dash pad. If I was you I'd order the a/c dash pad.