Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Need advise on adjustable Coil Overs

My goal is to be able to adjust the front end ride height w/o removing or cutting coil springs.

Within the past 2 years, all of my front and rear suspension has already been replaced . Since then I have been cutting Coil Springs and adding lowing blocks to achieve the ride height I want. I want to go lower and fine tune it to the wheels I have.

I'm going to get a set of 1" lowering leaf springs and use the 1/2" lowering blocks for adjustment.

For the front I'd like to get a set of Coil Overs that will allow me to adjust the ride height.  I am not so interested in the valving end of it.

There are so many Coil Overs to chose from and they are very expensive. I'm wanting to  keep my Upper & Lower Control Arms and just get a set of Coil Over's that will adapt.  But the main function is ride height adjustment, preferably 1-3".

Am I looking in the right direction or is there something else.

Another thought, cost? Not looking to spend too much.

Thanks all for your help!

So many coilover's out there, yes, but coilover's that retain the stock upper/lower control arms, very few. From what I've seen you are looking at $800+ a set from TCP. Another option would be to contact Eibach directly and see if they can make you custom coils so you don't have to cut em.

I went thru that with Eaton Spring Co, and in the end I had to cut a 1/4 off the spring coil.

Out of all the work done on this car, the worst of them all is R&R coil springs. I HATE IT!

As careful as I am, I always have this thought of the spring popping off the compressor.

That's why I've opted to go Coil Overs.  Yes, they seem to be a little ridiculous on the price.

You have to use a compressor to get your springs in and out ?

Lmao.., I jack the front end up on mine and they literally fall out if I remove the shock haha.

There are a few companies that make a coil over that sets in stock location and mounts where the roller perch goes... Think I found 2 actually but they were 500-900 bucks if I recall

The main cost is associated with the cost of the coil overs themselves really

When it comes down to it I believe we are all just being gouged, because this is a specialty market. You can buy a pair of QA1 PRO coilover's for $400-470 bucks, and their economy pro coilover's start at $110 ea. We are paying for what it's for....not what it is.

Well RS you have to take into consideration the cost of machining or subbing out all the extra parts, the engineering etc...

I know its gouging us a bit but even with the price of the Viking kit at 600 bucks, that isn't a bad price Imho if you just want coil overs with double adjustment and the ability to adjust the ride height.

Coil Overs for ride adjustment is a pretty common misconception people have I think. If you lower the car to much (or rise to high) you put the piston in the shock out of it's work area, and you risk topping out out bottoming out. Either will destroy the shock. So if ride height is your main concern, I'd airbag it as fordguy69 said. If you insist on a coil over, a custom built shock would be the way to go. I think it would cost the same as an air suspension kit.

The Viking kit is definitely more reasonable. Did you notice how they mount? It's not rocket science, it's very simple actually, not much R&D.

I understand all about manufacturing costs and R&D, I also understand all about corporate greed. Case in point, FiTech, here is a company that came out with a bolt on efi system with all the bells and whistles for a grand, thats 50% less than what Holly wanted for there terminator kit. All of a sudden now Holly can make a kit for a grand, hmmm, can you say corporate greed. Now I can go on and on about the aftermarket's love for brand "c" and how much cheaper similar parts are, while we pay a premium as Ford Mustang fans, but I'll stop my ranting now lol.

Look at the racing sources for coil overs. You can often buy some of the pieces used like the sleeves and adjusters and perhaps even the whole assembly.

I did some measuring at one time and it seems to me that the behive type springs like shown in the Viking kit are from a mustang II conversion setup so you can look at the hotrod/street rod industry for that stuff

If you can do some welding and fabrication it is not hard to made mounting brackets that will mount a coil over to the stock upper arms and to the tower

Bob

Thanks for the reply's Guys!

No Metal Fab on my end. I prefer just the bolt on route. 

First I have to see if its cost effective, I will be looking into the Viking set up, since they allow me to keep my stock upper & lower control arms.

I'm not looking to spend a ton here since I feel that the stock suspension is adequate for me.

IMO, it's amazing how well these Mustangs ride once all of the stock suspension has been replaced. I used all MOOG products cost effective and nice ride.

Funny you should mention FI Tech Haha..
The first day of the power tour they had all the booth's set up and I got a chance to stop and look at Holleys new offerings in the same relm as Fi-Tech.
I asked the sales guy about their kit and he said it will be available in like August or Sept.. Then I mentioned the FI-Tech kit and how much the Holley unit looked like the FI Unit... He simply said Yeah I have heard about that unit and then the conversation was Over, as in he turned around and walked away from me without another word.. LOL.

I would love to find a way to retro-fit the newer mustang spindles and Struts into our cars. like the 94-2000 ish stuff.
It seems as tho you see used aftermarket stuff for them All over the place used for cheap.
I know it would mandate a Spindle swap in order to get the McPherson strut but don't know enough about the geometry and what not that it needs to work.

Also I think the Viking kit should incorporate a Roller bearing like John at open tracker has in his roller perches... I know the Viking unit has the cross bar but it seems to utilize a eurothane bushing which in my mind will wear, bind eventually and not hold as much of a load as a roller bearing would....

Funny you should mention FI Tech Haha..

The first day of the power tour they had all the booth's set up and I got a chance to stop and look at Holleys new offerings in the same relm as Fi-Tech.

I asked the sales guy about their kit and he said it will be available in like August or Sept.. Then I mentioned the FI-Tech kit and how much the Holley unit looked like the FI Unit... He simply said Yeah I have heard about that unit and then the conversation was Over, as in he turned around and walked away from me without another word.. LOL.

I would love to find a way to retro-fit the newer mustang spindles and Struts into our cars. like the 94-2000 ish stuff.

It seems as tho you see used aftermarket stuff for them All over the place used for cheap.

I know it would mandate a Spindle swap in order to get the McPherson strut but don't know enough about the geometry and what not that it needs to work.

Also I think the Viking kit should incorporate a Roller bearing like John at open tracker has in his roller perches... I know the Viking unit has the cross bar but it seems to utilize a eurothane bushing which in my mind will wear, bind eventually and not hold as much of a load as a roller bearing would....

AJE suspension may be your type of set up as it converts everything to the modern mustang. **Not my pic