Sign in to follow this  
RetroStang

Help me identify my FRPP Crate Engine

Just picked up a new toy/project, 1969 Fastback that is a Mach 1 clone. The guy I bought it from said he had a 351W Ford Racing crate engine put in it, but his ex threw out all the paperwork and receipts of the work that was done. The engine was installed about 10 years ago. The heads appear to be aluminum and have SVO stenciled into them. I pulled the valve cover off, and found out it has the M-6049-X302 heads on it. It also has the MSD distributor. The guy said it was a 351, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's a 302. Any ideas? Does someone have a FRPP catalog from 2004 or 2005? The 2006 catalog has X303 heads in it.

post-14850-0-80390800-1466391033.jpg

post-14850-0-45750700-1466391054.jpg

post-14850-0-44134400-1466391500.jpg

Good to know it's a 351. I've identified that it is an Edelbrock AirGap intake and it has a Demon - Speed Demon carb, but I'm not sure what size as there is nothing on the carb to identify what size it is that I can find.

When I looked in the 2006 FRPP catalog, there was only one engine with the x303 heads, and it listed out the remainder of the engine construction (block, cam, pistons, etc.) I'm not having any luck finding an older catalog. Any idea where the part number would be on the block? Would that help, or is the block typically used in several different crate engines?

Good to know it's a 351. I've identified that it is an Edelbrock AirGap intake and it has a Demon - Speed Demon carb, but I'm not sure what size as there is nothing on the carb to identify what size it is that I can find.

When I looked in the 2006 FRPP catalog, there was only one engine with the x303 heads, and it listed out the remainder of the engine construction (block, cam, pistons, etc.) I'm not having any luck finding an older catalog. Any idea where the part number would be on the block? Would that help, or is the block typically used in several different crate engines?

Only a few weeks ago I found a good site which led you step by step to identify any Demon carb but now I can't seem to find it. Luckily someone has copied the information to this site but you have to search each Demon model seperately (Race, Road, Speed, Mighty etc). It's the same information as was on the other site so should be accurate. Try this link if your certain it's a Speed Demon How to identify your Speed Demon

Like my genuine barnfind? Original paint just needs a buff....

About the only thing I can find was in 04 FRPP offered a 385 hp 351w crate engine.

That was one of the options I found in the 2006 catalog, but it had X305 heads on it. The 345hp 302 had X303 heads on it, which is why I was thinking it could possibly be a 302.

Try sending an email to the guys at Tech support.  I worked with them a lot when I warrantied my motor.  They are quite responsive. The email is easy enough frpp@ford.com 

Good idea. I will send them an e-mail.

Only a few weeks ago I found a good site which led you step by step to identify any Demon carb but now I can't seem to find it. Luckily someone has copied the information to this site but you have to search each Demon model seperately (Race, Road, Speed, Mighty etc). It's the same information as was on the other site so should be accurate. Try this link if your certain it's a Speed Demon How to identify your Speed Demon

Thanks for the link - that's exactly what I was looking for. Based on what's on there, it looks like a 650 cfm mechanical secondary carb.

if there is a butterfly in the rear venturis, it is a vacuum secondary carb.

I'm not sure I follow Barnett, are you referring to the choke flap? My choke tower (no flap) is over the primaries in the front.

Try sending an email to the guys at Tech support.  I worked with them a lot when I warrantied my motor.  They are quite responsive. The email is easy enough frpp@ford.com 

Sent an e-mail describing my situation and got a response the next day! I need to look for a build tag that is just above the oil pan rail. Hopefully it will still be attached.

if there is a butterfly in the rear venturis, it is a vacuum secondary carb.

There is no choke flap/butterfly on it.

The easy way to tell if you have vacuum secondaries is the big ol vacuum diaphragm hanging off the side of the carb.

No vacuum diaphragm either.

I'm confident that it's a Speed Demon #1282010.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Once I get under the engine, I'm hoping the build tag will be there so I can figure out the rest of the motor.