Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

What is the proper stance?

I have conflicting thoughts about what is the right stance for our cars.

It looks like 15" wheels has an equal space all around the arch of the wheel well.

On Taller wheels 17"-18", it seems to get the top of the tire into the arch.

Does anyone agree or what do you think?

In regards to 15" wheels, do you think the distance from the right and left side of the tire to the side arch should be the same height from the top of the tire to the arch?

If measuring the stance at the rocker panel, should they be the same height from front to back or an 1", 2" different.

If you go DAAAAAYYYUUUMM!! when you see it, it has the right stance.

AGREED!!!!!

On side note, I usually like a little bit lower stance than stock, unless it is a full original restoration.  Some of it is person preference as well, so it is hard to really say for sure. But I totally agreed with fvike!

AGREED!!!!!

On side note, I usually like a little bit lower stance than stock, unless it is a full original restoration.  Some of it is person preference as well, so it is hard to really say for sure. But I totally agreed with fvike!

I agree with this. I have 15" wheels on mine still (in the process of deciding on a new set) and they are in the well a bit. 

Yes, I know it is all a personal opinion, but I bring this up because there is some sweet spot we all like 15" and 17" wheels to be sitting.

Like I said earlier, I had 275"s on the rear but even though they are a nice wide size they have too big of a side wall.

The fronts are 215/65/15 26" tall, rears are 275/60/15 28" tall

post-14069-0-48171900-1466452951.jpg

From looking at other cars, I see that I need to keep the tire dia almost the same with the front and rear, the 275's were 2" taller, so I went to a 295

26.6" tall. I think they fit perfect ion the arch but stick out a little too much.

post-14069-0-75785800-1466453311.jpg

I then switched to 255/60/15 that are 27.1"tall.  IMO there are almost as wide as the 275's and almost the same Dia as the 295's.

post-14069-0-25858500-1466453498.jpg

I have a 1/2" drop spacer on the rear and was thinking of taking it out. This brings me to my 1st question of what seems to be the ideal space between the fender and tire. I was wondering if the side spaces of the tire to the lower wheels well should be the same size as the top?

Also when measuring at the rocker panel for a good stance, should the rear be an 1" higher or what ?

I would like the rear to set a little lower, thus taking the 1/2" spacer out.

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?

Even though I think the 275's were in proportion all around the wheel well, the side wall was too big for me.

Here's a side shot of the 255's.  They match up good with the front, but don't fill the well as good as the 275's.

Do you think there is too big of a gap at the apex of the wheel well with the 255's and judging from the rocker panel, do you think it is too high in the rear?

Should I drop the rear that 1/2"????

post-14069-0-96483000-1466454209.jpg

I agree with Barnett. I'd lower it another inch in the back. I'm running a 275/60/15 that is about 27 inches tall. I don't have a picture that is as good a profile as you have, but you can see how the top of the tire tucks on mine. 

IMG_0368_zpslclepmf8.jpg

I kinda messed up on my explanation earlier. I actually have Caltracs with a 1/2" lowering block. I do have another set of 1/2" blocks and U bolts, so I can only go another 1/2" lower.

Right now I got the bug and hopefully I'll it with in a couple of days.

Thanks for the feedback!

Well I had a chance to install another set of 1/2" lowering blocks, drove the car around to settle the suspension and then took measurements of the difference.

Guess what? It's the same height as it was before, didn't drop another 1/2" what gives?

The driver side is 27 3/8's and passenger 27 3/4" from ground to apex of wheel well.  There has always been one side higher than the other.

I do have Cal tracs and I've taken any tension out of it, just don't know why it hasn't dropped another 1/2"????

post-14069-0-76474700-1466626225.jpg

post-14069-0-65281700-1466626282.jpg

I don't know why it hasn't dropped but I once had a Mustang with a difference in height left to right on the rear.  It turned out one of the leaves was busted.  You would have never known it though because it was busted where the leaf spring was wrapped together since you get the most corrosion there.

david

Did you put some grease on the spring eye bushings before you installed them?

If not then put some grease on them.

If you did grease them lift the weight off the rear end and loosen the front and rear spring eye bolts and just tighten

them finger tight, then take car off stands and sit the weight of the car back on the axle... Now bounce up and down on the back end a few times, and take it for a little ride in your neighborhood slowly.

I did mine like this and it settled a good bit... I did a few quick take offs to help shift the weight and then tightened the bolts up with the car on the ground and weight on the axle...

Give that a try and see if it helps.

post-42847-0-28937100-1466714656.jpeg

I don't have much to contribute aside from this pic which is my screensaver. Although not the proper stance as in stock it's definately cool and what I'll be aiming for once I get my wheels and tyres sorted. I'm commenting because I have a question - Prayers I think your 295/50/15 shot looks great, what is the width of your rear rims?

I got my decal from http://www.phoenixgraphix.com/ford.php. It's the exact type used back in 69, it has reflective tape for safety standards back in the day. They are actually black but the cameras flash sometimes goes off or if I catch the sun in a certain way it will reflect gold or silver.  When you order a set it will come with the 302, you will have to pay extra for any other number such as the 351, 460, 408 etc.......

I will try to unload the spring eyes on both ends and see if that will loosen it up.

My goal is to get the same stance as in 3Katz picture.

Mike, I was able to loosen up the spring eyes all around, I bounced the car a few times and had my daughter sit in the passenger seat while I retighten everything.

You are correct that it did drop some. More importantly it dropped a 1/2" on the high side but only an 1/8" on the other. I also think that tightening the spring eyes while the car was on the ground (off the jack stands) makes a difference. Having my daughter sit on the passenger side, IMO I believe that I was able to tighten the suspension and somewhat lock it into that position.

The back I believe is as low as I can go with 1" lowering blocks, If I want to lower it anymore I'll need to get a set of lowering leafsprings,hen fine tune it with 1/2" lowering blocks.

Thanks Mike for your help!