Sign in to follow this  
bryonbush

radiator 20" to 24"

On the power tour now and this is the longest ive driven my car since it's been assembled. I currently have a champion 3 row 20" with a 2200 CFM pusher fan. Well, while heading to OKC, sitting in traffic in 95* weather, my flex-o-lite controller gave up. We hard wired the fan to run all the time on high to get going. Problem is, today while sitting in traffic, the fan really struggled to keep it cool.

So here's where im at: I purchased the contour fans thinking i had a 24" rad but i didnt. Im thinking about getting a 24" rad but i'm not sure how it mounts up as i dont have the brackets. mine bolts right to the wall. So is there a way without spending $100 on brackets to mount the 24"?

I talked to one guy who had the same problem. he put his mechanical fan back on to help pull air, while the elec fan pushed. Ideas on this?

Check NPD, they have all the brackets and insulators. If you go with there "cheaper" parts you can get everything for around 60-70 bucks.

Edit; You'll need a pr of the lower mounts, pr of the lower insulators, the upper mount, and upper insulator.

You would have to fabricate something out of sheet metal to get a 24 inch radiator secured with the saddle mounts.  You should also know you may have a problem getting a Champion 24 inch radiator to fit in the factory style saddle mounts.  It sticks up higher, and the square shape doesn't fit well with upper saddle mount.  I didn't want to bend my original saddle mounts, so I went with a different radiator.

I did this a while back and yes, the champion 24" doesn't fit in the lower saddle brackets very good. I ordered new saddle brackets, new rubber pads for the brackets and then sourced a top bracket locally. I ended up trimming with a razor blade the rubber saddle pad so that it was not as thick on the sides and this helped. I also added a rubber pad under the top bracket to help push the radiator down.

You could fab those saddle brackets if you have some sheet metal and any type of metal skills. The repros are not that impressive.

I know this is late but as lone as you have rubber on the bottom to keep it from rubbing a hole...I have a 70 with a with it wired in right now.....I got to royal purple around 6pm.... enjoined the rain and cars that were there.....I had to work so no tour for me...I have a 69 302 AC car...with a 4 core 24" idles all day long in the Texas heat with ac on...

yesterday we decided to drive home instead on continue on towards Kansas City due to an issue arrising with the trans controller. A couple times on 35 in OK we got caught in traffic which resulted on some high temps. Pulled over, let it cool, Then drove the shoulder to keep it cool with the hood up. We made a stop at Turner Falls in OK and decided to check the fluid levels as we never had a chance after the first over heat. we were able to pour in two 16 oz bottles in which seamed to help some while in Dallas traffic. Im still on the fence about going to a bigger radiator or not. I can make mounting tabs that i saw another guy make that should save some money and solve fitment issues. 

I already have the contour fans with the 2 10" fans and a new controller coming from Flexolite. I'm thinking about going to a Champion 2 row, 24" vs the 3 row to help with any possible clearance issues. 

The one Max Power linked to fits without any mods into the stock brackets.  It's nice to get something that actually fits for a change.  I just installed one a few days ago with the Contour fans to replace my 4 row brass radiator to lose some weight.  The unit thick with the dual 1 1/4" tubes.

IMG_3821_zpsfhjwfukx.jpg

IMG_3820_zpsayavkxk1.jpg

I tried the one from US Radiator but the radiator cap was too high and hit the hood a bit so I went back to the brass unit for awhile.  You can see how the neck and cap stick up a lot.  The dip in the top where the neck goes isn't low enough on the US radiator unit.

IMG_0620_zps3yw4znnh.jpg

Yup,  the one in the top photos is a CVR 55 GPM pump.  The one in the bottom photo is a 35 GPM CSR pump.  Places like Summit carry them.  If you have a FE engine,  only CSR and Meziere make electric pumps for this application and the biggest is a 42 GPM pump.  I wanted a 55 GPM unit so I had to get adapters which are available from Jay Brown at this link:

http://www.fepower.net/Products/cvradapt.html