Sign in to follow this  
norg

Mustang I.D. numbers

Dear Gentleman,

Does anybody has the book "Mustang I.D. numbers"?

I looking for decoding the number of my mustang. So I mean the specification - painting code, axle, transmission. 

Also i have a doubt about production number. Suppose it can be wrong.

# 9F02Z284582 

The car sitting many years in Russia. Fully rewelded body underneath. The roof and glass openings in good shape.

Axle, motor and transmission from "Volga".

So, got some parts from junkyards: '95 8.8 rear axle and 5 lug front suspension, '91 body for parts, as all bottom shell, 460 BBF, C6,

Thanks! 

9 = 1969 model year

F = Dearborn Michigan assembly plant

02 = Sportsroof body

Z = V8 429 CID 4V Boss

284582 = consecutive production unit number

http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/students/blommel/69.htm

http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/1969vinmatrix.shtml

Got any pics, especially of the engine or under hood? Sounds like an actual Boss 429 mustang if the VIN is correct. If the left door is original to the car, list the numbers from the plate riveted below the latch on the aft face. Those can be decoded to give more information on the car. Also check for the VIN on top of the left fender apron usually forward of the shock tower. Probably have to loosen the fender and move slightly to read it.

Thanks Roger,

But i mean the spec list, because i have a doubt about the VIN tag information.

In a ford catalog this production number mentioned. Is it matched or not?

Unfortunately the motor is gone as transmission and rear axle. No any tag's on door and fender

I will try to add a pics.

IMGP0676_zpsuuha7x7z.jpg

IMGP0717_zpsfk3cwnqc.jpg

IMGP0692_zpsq2tlprkp.jpg

IMGP0696_zpsps8s5bz2.jpg

image-28-07-15-12-01_zpswtaevn7h.jpeg

It's hard to tell from the pictures but it appears you may have a T5. Ford could not legally use the name "Mustang" in Germany so the cars exported there were called T5's. Many US servicemen bought them.

It is not a Boss 429, but even a 6-cylinder T5 fastback is quite rare (if that is a fastback, I can't tell). I am not a T5 expert by any means but there are some things that look strange to me - the "Ford" grille badge (may be a legit T5 thing), the hand brake, console, door panels and steering wheel all look odd.

There should be VIN numbers stamped in the front fender rails, above the front wheels, can you tell us if they are there?

It's hard to tell from the pictures but it appears you may have a T5. Ford could not legally use the name "Mustang" in Germany so the cars exported there were called T5's. Many US servicemen bought them.

It is not a Boss 429, but even a 6-cylinder T5 fastback is quite rare (if that is a fastback, I can't tell). I am not a T5 expert by any means but there are some things that look strange to me - the "Ford" grille badge (may be a legit T5 thing), the hand brake, console, door panels and steering wheel all look odd.

There should be VIN numbers stamped in the front fender rails, above the front wheels, can you tell us if they are there?

Not 429 for sure. 

I don't realy know from were this car - from USA or Germany. But in time when it was delivered the Soviet Union was here. And i think it was form Germany. 

No any stamps on a fender or door or shock tower. It was fully rewelded with billions pieces of sheet metal. The bottom is made with sheet metal full.

The dash tag has # 9F02Z284582 but it can be fake. That is why i'm asking - what is written in catalog with production number 284582? May be it's 9R01M284582 or like this.

It's nice to hear that is not mustang and it's T5 )  

VIN tag is definitely not from this car. The actual VIN should be stamped into the top side of the inner fender aprons unless they were filled/sanded/or otherwise destroyed. Its a shame there's no tag on the door.

I think NORG is asking what type of mustang (i.e. mach 1, etc) is associate with #284582. I think only a Marti Report would tell you that.

Yes! Absolutely!

But i thought some of american classic mustang owners has this catalog )

catalog_of_mustang_id_numbers_1964_93.jp

In past time (USSR) here was such title

cb85e83b2c11.jpg

and most of foreing cars lost first marks (as 9F02Z for example) and only digits was mentioned as 284582. And model - Ford, Dodge, Chevrolet. No any names as mustang, cherger or whatever some time.

315529u-960.jpg

In 1996 a new stile titles was created with every numbers in it.

up145481-1-1311773197.jpg

So if the previous owner bught this mustang in 1985 or like this and sold it after 1996 the police add in new title any sings with correct digits.

Yes! Absolutely!

But i thought some of american classic mustang owners has this catalog )

catalog_of_mustang_id_numbers_1964_93.jp

This book won't tell you anything about your car without the correct VIN and door data plate. The info I gave you in my first reply is what that particular VIN decodes to. Getting a marti report on that VIN will tell you nothing about your car. You need your original VIN and/or data plate. Now I've heard that sometimes the VIN could be found on other areas of the car but that's usually not the case. Unless someone completely fabricated a VIN using the original consecutive unit number your information is probably lost. If, however, you think the consecutive unit number belongs to the original VIN, contact Marti to see if he can locate the rest of the VIN. The mustang assembly line also built cougars, Fairlanes & comets I believe, not sure on that. Well more than mustangs and cougars anyhow. Not sure if I've cleared things up for you or confused you more.

Ok, thank you Roger!

I will try to figure out the original Vin # of that pony by last 6 digits. In case if it wrong, so i will proceed to go in this way because a lot of efforts and founds is spent for this project. And title what i have is important for driving the car. I would like to complete it in the future and get some clone of cobra jet or close to this. 

Not 429 for sure. 

I don't realy know from were this car - from USA or Germany. But in time when it was delivered the Soviet Union was here. And i think it was form Germany. 

No any stamps on a fender or door or shock tower. It was fully rewelded with billions pieces of sheet metal. The bottom is made with sheet metal full.

The dash tag has # 9F02Z284582 but it can be fake. That is why i'm asking - what is written in catalog with production number 284582? May be it's 9R01M284582 or like this.

It's nice to hear that is not mustang and it's T5 )  

Unit number 284582 is too high for a 1969 Mustang...for any of the assembly plants. That VIN looks more like it belongs to a 1979 Mustang.

Without the VIN from the inner fender, you may be stuck. I would want a Marti Report before assuming it was a T-5.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Very interesting!

Good luck!

Without the VIN from the inner fender, you may be stuck. I would want a Marti Report before assuming it was a T-5.

I agree with BinaryBo, if the door data plate is gone, the VINs from the inner fenders and engine are gone, and the windshield VIN is obviously fake, there's no way to tell what you've got. The T5 guess was just speculation on my part based upon all the unusual parts it has. 

Does your country have the equivalent of a salvage title, where the government just assigns a brand new number?

Unit number 284582 is too high for a 1969 Mustang...for any of the assembly plants. That VIN looks more like it belongs to a 1979 Mustang.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Very interesting!

Good luck!

Today i digged this link: http://www.insearchofmustangs.org/Registry/List.aspx?y=1969

and yes, nothing close to such digits 284582. Maximum was found is 222319.

So, let say it's fake or some T5 special code

But it's strange - total produced quantity of the 69's is 299814 - VIN # should be at list 399815...

Today i digged this link: http://www.insearchofmustangs.org/Registry/List.aspx?y=1969

and yes, nothing close to such digits 284582. Maximum was found is 222319.

So, let say it's fake or some T5 special code

But it's strange - total produced quantity of the 69's is 299814 - VIN # should be at list 399815...

They were produced at 3 different plants. Each plant had their own numbers.

I agree with BinaryBo, if the door data plate is gone, the VINs from the inner fenders and engine are gone, and the windshield VIN is obviously fake, there's no way to tell what you've got. The T5 guess was just speculation on my part based upon all the unusual parts it has. 

Does your country have the equivalent of a salvage title, where the government just assigns a brand new number?

But you know, it quite close to true, because in USSR period was very complicated to buy a mustang in USA.

Part of Germany was in USSR and Russian (Soviet) army was there. Yes the mustang could be in west of Germany but same case is could happened. 

We have 2 papers

1st - passport of the vehicle (created by custom). We keep it home. Just for registration.

%D0%9F%D0%A2%D0%A1-%D0%BD%D0%B0-%D0%A4%D

2nd - driving certificate or license (can't explain correctly). Always with driver.

URxPjCsMBe4.jpgkVsLMMXhIwg.jpg

Some data in road police data base, but it's hide.