JayEstes

69 coupe hood scoop badge placement

Guys, I have a 69 base coupe/302.  She's back form paint, and I have some new "302" badges that I want to put on - one on each side of the hood scoop.  They are the "bolt-on" kind (require drilling).  My scoop never had the badge originally, but I want to add the decor because I like how it looks.

Can anyone give me dimensions on where to place the badge?  Hoping someone has a pre-drilled scoop and can make measurements or someone has a reference to a drawing with original placement.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Gratuitous hood shots below:

post-14729-0-85034700-1465821859.jpg

post-14729-0-66476300-1465821704.jpg

Curious to know if you think the scope was original to your car and, if so, how did it get there?  Do you have a Marti that shows some option that would include the scoop?  I am trying to figure out if the scoop on my car is factory original or added later.

Jay, measured mine, looks like 6 1/2" from front of scoop, 13/16" from bottom. See pictures

Thank you.  I'm thinking mine has 2 pins, but it looks like only 1 hole on each side of your scoop?

Can you cut the pins off and use emblem glue?  That would save you from drilling that new paint.

I can do that.  I haven't been to worried about drilling as I don't expect to ever remove them, but I gotta admit getting a drill anywhere close to the finish is a really cringe-worthy thing.  If I do drill I will remove the scoop and do it so no risk to car.

Thing I am wondering tho, If I use an adhesive that holds well, aren't I also risking the paint - on a larger area - where that stuff goes down?  Our 71 had glue on letters on the trunk - after many years, some fell off, and the paint under is effectively ruined - I can't get the adhesive off without ruining the finish... conversely, the pinned letters on my 69 trunk never came off until paint, and went back in like new, so I kinda like the security of pins.

Great suggestion to cut the pins and I would use something like this, can be found in different widths https://www.amazon.com/3M-03614-Scotch-Mount-Molding-Tape/dp/B002JOVUO0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1465860728&sr=8-5&keywords=3m+automotive+adhesive+tape

You can use multiple pieces and trim to fit

I've got some of that stuff on-hand actually.... i'm gonna have a closer look tonight and see.  I might be able to cut the pins and file them down, but I wanna be sure there is a nice wide flat surface to accept the vehicle trim tape.

Curious to know if you think the scope was original to your car and, if so, how did it get there?  Do you have a Marti that shows some option that would include the scoop?  I am trying to figure out if the scoop on my car is factory original or added later.

That's a good question. I really don't know if there is anything in the Marti (I have mine) that would indicate if the car had a scoop.  My scoop does have the cool turn signal indicators in it, and there are two ovals cutout in the hood to accept the light bulb harnesses.  There are also I think 9 bolt holes for the bolts that holt the scoop down.  Probably the best indicator is if the hood was originally scarred similar to that or not.  If not, I'd assume an "add on". I would add that the scoop is non-functional - strictly decor.  Most of the ones like mine were not real air scoops.  And even less predictable is whether or not the scoop gets a badge.  I haven't seen anything that "dictates" one way or the other.  I am pretty certain mine never had the badges, but I'm adding them anyway - because I want to.  I do have a 302 original engine, so it's not like I am "false advertising"...

I wanted to follow up on this, and well, I took the advice!  When I looked at the badges I had (Daniel Carpenter brand) I found they had slightly recessed backs and 2 pins each with sheet metal nuts.  I figured since I had the 3M trim tape, I was gonna give "gluing them on" a try rather than drilling.  The dremel zinged the pins right off cleanly, and I was able to do so with almost no trace of it left.  Here you can see one of the badges from the back with one of the two pins cut off.  They came off clean and the dremel made it easy.

post-14729-0-82043500-1466303082.jpg

I filled the back of the badges with 3M body molding tape and positioned them appropriately.  I used spring clamps to hold them in place overnight.  The slightly rounded surface of the side of the scoop provided a great mating surface for the trim tape on the back of the badge.  You can see how closely the edges of the badge sat down on the surface of the scoop sides:

post-14729-0-26672100-1466302620.jpg

Here's a couple of pics with the badges on.  As good as I could have hoped for.

post-14729-0-42590700-1466302546.jpg

post-14729-0-10693400-1466303452.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys- I always get great advice coming to this forum..

Jay

Here's mine.  Six inches back to the front of the emblem.  i kept it a little low since the scoop seemed to roll away towards the top and there wasn't any bow to the emblem.  It's the stick-on.

IMG_0492_zpsxd7youpq.jpg

IMG_0491_zpsvki8ii4a.jpg

I think I like that lower placement of yours.  Mine are a smidge above center, but I still like it.  I purposefully placed the leading edge of the badges 6.5in from the forward tip of each scoop.  It's just a half-in further aft than yours.  

So far the 3M trim tape seems very solid.  We'll see how it stands up when I get it out in the super-hot humid weather this summer...