Lil John SVT

Car Support While Changing Quarter Panels

Ok I'm gonna swap out my quarter panels. I remember reading how to set the car up, to keep it square. But I can't find where I read it. Do I support the car by all 4 torque boxes or let the tires support the weight? I'm gonna swap out both quarters then do the taillight panel to keep it all square. Any tips is appreciated.

With a complete car not only would I have support at the rear torque boxes, but I'd also support the axle some as well. I'd adjust it to where most of the weight is on the torque box but the axle has enough support that it's not pulling down on the rear frame rail at the leaf spring shackle.

Support it at the torque boxes and the end of the rear frame rails to keep the rails from sagging when you remove the quarters using jack stands .The front really should be supported at the front of the frame rails also just to help keep everything level .Level the car across the rear frame rails and through the doors on the rockers and the front radiator cross brace before you remove the quarters .I usually use three levels at the same time and i also have a laser level when i can use it .

Thinking of supporting it at the 4 torque boxes, undoing the rear hangers and letting the rear end sit on Jack stands. Possibly supporting the pinch welds on the rocker panels after its all level. Thanks for the replies.

This is what I would advise you to do. Not only will it remove the weigh off the back of the frame rails it will get the springs out of the way a bit if you need to do some welding under there

Bob