prayers1

Need opinion on wheel choice

I'd like to change over to a bigger wheel either 17 or 18".

As we all know what looks good on other cars don't on ours. For some reason it's very hard to decide a complementary style for our cars. I really like the look of the Magnum 500's in 15", but I want bigger more Pro Touring look.
I've eyed the AR500's, but I'm not that convinced.

Right now I'm more partial to the Billet Specailties, the Razor with the black spoke center.

Here's how my car looks right now and here are a few pictures of the Billet Speciaties as well as the AR500's.

Give me your opinion on which looks best on my ride.

Thank you all!

DSC03339_zps0a357qwq.jpg

BilletSpecialties_zpsdsda1qyf.jpg

00r0r_sSqlDPAmTB_600x450_zpsxbqizx2h.jpg

Billet Specialties Razor wheel
MR65-RAZOR-GMG-F-01_zpseorsiddx.png

I am running Gun metal Grey and it looks Great.

Either color would look good on your car.

I run 17s in the front and 18s in the rear.

I can get you all the exact measurements and offsets etc tomorrow tho.

I bought mine from a seller on Ebay and it was less than 800 bucks with lug nuts and shipping to my door.

Ill get the sellers name for ya tomorrow as well.

Wheels set the attitude of the car. What attitude do you want to convey?

IMO...you have the best looking wheels,for,your car. You car has a vintage look,with the stripes and all. The magnums look perfect.

Changing the wheels will change what you are conveying and could make those stripes and wing look out of place.

How about minilites and a lowered stance? Trans am look.

Bob

IMO...you have the best looking wheels,for,your car. You car has a vintage look,with the stripes and all. The magnums look perfect.

Changing the wheels will change what you are conveying and could make those stripes and wing look out of place.

Bob

Very well said. I agree completely! 

Bob

Have to agree also, those Magnums look great.

Bob

Wow Bob, never really thought about it in that way. So you guys think I'm stuck in the Vintage look and keep it that way and forget about the Pro Touring look???

I like that mean Muscle car look, I thought my car has more of a docile look or it might be that I'm just getting too use to what I have.

I had 275/60/15's on back and the tire was too big in diameter, the picture shows 295/50/15's, I like that front to rear tire height.

The only problem with the 295's is that they line up with the outter wheel lip (12" tread).  The next possible size is 255/60/15's with a (10.2" tread).  The 275's had a (11" tread). So, I'd be loosing 2" in width the 255's and I like that fat tire look.

I was shooting for a bigger wheel size (17" or 18") and as wide as I can get the front and rear to tuck in.

Thanks Guys for your comments, I feel it's always best to get other opinions of their perspective regarding the stance and wheel look. Sometimes owners tend to be color blind.

Please provide more feed back so I know which way is best. I'd hate to waste money on something I don't need and use it more useful on something else.

Thank you!

My own personal taste, you 've got the stance & ride height dialed in perfect. I know a lot of people like their stuff slammed to the ground as low as possible, but I want a little ground clearance for the roads around here.

Re: the rims & tires... you can't go wrong with Magnums/BFGs on a 69. On the other hand, everybody's got 'em. I've got 'em. We get bored with our stuff after a while. It happens.

If you are getting restless, maybe try to work with someone who has photoshop skills to see what some other combos would look like on your car.

I agree, everyone has it and you'll get tired of it eventually you'll wanna change the look. personally, I'd go with hydro wheels or camber wheels which i think will compliment your car greatly and give it great stance !! 

Wow Bob, never really thought about it in that way. So you guys think I'm stuck in the Vintage look and keep it that way and forget about the Pro Touring look???

I like that mean Muscle car look, I thought my car has more of a docile look or it might be that I'm just getting too use to what I have.

I had 275/60/15's on back and the tire was too big in diameter, the picture shows 295/50/15's, I like that front to rear tire height.

The only problem with the 295's is that they line up with the outter wheel lip (12" tread).  The next possible size is 255/60/15's with a (10.2" tread).  The 275's had a (11" tread). So, I'd be loosing 2" in width the 255's and I like that fat tire look.

I was shooting for a bigger wheel size (17" or 18") and as wide as I can get the front and rear to tuck in.

Thanks Guys for your comments, I feel it's always best to get other opinions of their perspective regarding the stance and wheel look. Sometimes owners tend to be color blind.

Please provide more feed back so I know which way is best. I'd hate to waste money on something I don't need and use it more useful on something else.

Thank you!

No, you are not stuck with the vintage look. However if you change the wheels to something more modern then you are putting yourself in the position of needing to update numerous other things on the car to meet and match the look you are then going with.

You have a car there in good condition. If your car needed a paint job and interior and everything done, then it would be just a matter of matching up all the looks to the theme you are looking for.

I am a big fan of setting a theme and sticking with it. Nothing bothers me more than to see someone spend tons of money on good parts that do not match a theme or look and then they have a car that looks like a mismatched hodgepodge. The top hot rod designers are masters of getting the look and theme right. The local punk kid often does it all wrong. Remember the last time you saw a stock minivan with very modern 20s on it and rubber band tires? Looks weird huh?

Have you ever wondered why that 65 Shelby clone always looks so sharp? It's all old technology, all following an old pattern. That's because it's a classic look that is accepted by everybody.

It is your car and I don't want to tell you what you should do with it, however I don't want to see you start spending money at random and going in circles trying to figure out why you are not getting where you want to be. Take a look at the cars that some of the members here have, some have done a great job of hitting the target for looks of a theme. Look at the Internet and magazines and find the look you really drool over. Then look at your car and see what the difference are. That is the beginning of setting the theme that you want.

Also remember that you can go with a modern theme with modern wheels. After a few years or a decade that look could be gone and you may be wanting to change the car again. How many 80s hot rods have you seen in great hardly used condition but look totally out of date?

One benifit of the vintage look is that it already went out of style and has come back to stay. Odds are that vintage look will never go out of style again.

So as I am dragging on, it is your car so do with it what will make you happy. However consider this. If you are going to start throwing money at the car to change the look, how about getting a different car and start to build in it the image you have in your head. In the end you could end up with two badass cars that each have their own personality

Bob

Bob, Very good insight, I truly appreciate the time, info & knowledge you passed on.

Problem is one can get complacent and bored with the finished project.  It doesn't help looking at the latest Hot Rod Magazine or visiting Car Shows that show 69/70 Mustangs with 17" wheels, it makes one wonder how can I get my car there.  Especially the ones with Forge Wheels, yes they are way too expensive for me, but they make the car look great!

Building another car is out of the question, it took a long 5 year haul to do mine and I don't have another 20K to dish out.

I agree with you about keeping the theme, that's why I thought of getting a more subtle, muscle car wheel in 17 or 18", because I do prefer the vintage look over the Pro Touring.  I mention Pro Touring because that's where most cars have the 17-18" wheels

I still would like to give it a shot and change the wheels, which is a lot less than building another.

Just wanting your opinion, what do you think about the AR500's in 17" or the Billet Specialties Hydro with black centers??

Bob, Thank you again for your thoughts!

This page is open to all opinions as well, Thanks!

So many of those modern wheels you are talking about are sooooo good looking. I can understand the draw.

For the 69 conv we had original GT rally wheels on the car and were mulling over what to replace them with.

Though about the magnums which I like very much, the haldranrand type wheels ( Eleanor's wheels, I hate that they are recognized for Eleanor instead of what they really are ) and several other wheels.

In the end we went with the 15" version of the GT rally wheels because they are what make the look of the car and represent the car for what we want it to be. But we labored over the decision for a year before actually changing, perhaps I am just slow with decisions....

For me I can't afford to buy wheels and tires and then be wrong and have to buy another set.

I like the idea of Photoshopping the wheels you want onto your car, also look at doing a wheel swap with another member to test out a set that you like...etc. whatever gets you the comfort to make the decision that is right for you.

I don't want to sway your actual wheel decision but I just want you to look at all the options and their effects. Perhaps because I relate to all the headache I took to make a final decision for the convertable.

Next project going for me is my 66GT conv and event though wheels are not even close I am already mulling over the choices and how they will work with everything else on the car.

A project I have not even started is a 64 falcon, and yes the swirling thoughts of what wheels and look the car will have spin in my head as I try to sleep.....or get bored in a meeting

Bob

Your car looks great as is. It stands out on any given day. Do you want it to stand out from other mustangs? I look at it this way. If I were to buy a new mustang, even if it looked good stock, would I want to keep it stock? Even good looking stock wheels could benefit from an increase in diameter. What about torq thrust wheels? Very common but they look great in a 17/18" wheel. Modern look with a classic feel. They'd look great on your car.

Well, based upon the consensus of keeping the vintage look, I'm sticking for now with the 15" magnum 500's.

I've been running 2 sets on the rear, 295/50's and 275/60's.  I love the FAT 295's, but they tend to stick out a tiny too much and I have a 5.5 bs and cant go any further.

The 275's IMO, are too tall and too fat of a sidewall, so keeping with the Vintage look I put on a set of 255/60/15's w/ a Magnum 5"bs.

Which would you prefer, 295's,275's or 255's.

Here's a pic of the 255's

post-14069-0-08421800-1466100746.jpg

post-14069-0-28665800-1466100906.jpg

Well, based upon the consensus of keeping the vintage look, I'm sticking for now with the 15" magnum 500's.

I've been running 2 sets on the rear, 295/50's and 275/60's.  I love the FAT 295's, but they tend to stick out a tiny too much and I have a 5.5 bs and cant go any further.

The 275's IMO, are too tall and too fat of a sidewall, so keeping with the Vintage look I put on a set of 255/60/15's w/ a Magnum 5"bs.

Which would you prefer, 295's,275's or 255's.

Here's a pic of the 255's

The 255's look just right IMHO. The 295's just don't sit in the arch right, makes it look like your trying to squeeze them in for the sake of it. The 255's make the car look classy.

Like everyone has said, I think you stick with the classic look like the magnums or torq thrusts, halibrands or even the panasport mini lites. They all have a different look.  I hate seeing (especially on the C1 and C2) vettes where they have upgraded the suspension and are throwing late model vette wheels on those cars. They look awful but I think they are limited in their choices for 17 and 18 inch wheels.

I like those AR500s and in hindsight would have looked into those instead of the 15" magnums I have.

Sounds like you already have multiple sets of wheels, ditch the Magnums you have now because it sounds like you want a bigger wheel/smaller tire (I do too). Get a set of the AR500s and get a set of the halibrands and swap them out periodically. Totally change the look of your car.

http://cdn.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/138465/138465_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

http://cdn.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/174848/174848_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

Halibrands

DSCN8663.jpg

I just placed an order for a set of 17x8 & 17x9 AR500s. I'll try to post pics once I get them on the car- I think they are the best compromise for someone wanting to retain the classic muscle look but give it a bit of resto-mod appeal as well. I'll be keeping the current 15" Magnum 500s as well to switch back and forth as my mood changes lol. Can't go wrong with either IMO!

I think your car looks fine with those wheels.  Any photos with the 275 tires?  I think they do a good job filling the rear wheel wells on a '69.

I'm really old school and like the big sidewall look.   I must be one of the few left that like old the drag car look.  

This is with my old street duty tires/wheels:

IMG_0049%202_zps6vv64mok.jpg

This is with my track tires.  28x9 rear drag radials.

IMG_3787_zps4k8xzibs.jpg

I think your car looks fine with those wheels.  Any photos with the 275 tires?  I think they do a good job filling the rear wheel wells on a '69.

I'm really old school and like the big sidewall look.   I must be one of the few left that like old the drag car look.  

This is with my old street duty tires/wheels:

IMG_0049%202_zps6vv64mok.jpg

This is with my track tires.  28x9 rear drag radials.

IMG_3787_zps4k8xzibs.jpg

I've always drag raced and it is really hard for me to move away from the big/little tire combo when I buy my next set. With that said, seeing the 17s and 18s on our cars makes it really hard not to go with a set of those... decisions, decisions. ;)