RPM

Accessory Post on Fuse Box, Fused or Not?

Yeah I have a bare bones car.  My fuse # 2 is a non-op as I have none of the options for that fuse circuit.  Thanks,  Brian

This might be a good time to ask a couple of questions as I think the Original posters question has been answered ?  Looking at the picture of my fuse block it has no accessory post nor does it have a fuse clip/retainer for the lower portion of the fuse at the #2, 20 amp, accessory spot.  Midlife does sell a accessory post along with a plug with 3 openings.  So questions;  1. can the accessory post, carriage bolt, be installed without removing/dismounting the entire fuse block ?  2.  How does the fuse clip/retainer install ?  Does it just push into the hole or does it screw in ?  Thanks,  Brian

post-33155-0-30260100-1465426567.jpg

1. can the accessory post, carriage bolt, be installed without removing/dismounting the entire fuse block ?

2.  How does the fuse clip/retainer install ?  Does it just push into the hole or does it screw in ?  Thanks,  Brian

You must remove the fuse block from the firewall and insert the carriage bolt through the back. Then slide the aux post over the bolt and secure with a nut.

The second "half" of the fuse holder is part of the aux post (weird, I know).

[edit] Taking a closer look at your photo Brian, you may be able to slide the carriage bolt into the slot without removing the fuse block from the firewall. When I replaced my broken aux post, the carriage bolt was already in place, so I didn't have to mess with it. I just assumed it passed thru a hole, but perhaps not. Maybe Midlife will chime in.

Wasn't the only cars that come with this pigtail and extra fuse was cars with the seat belt warning light. Or was the seatbelt warning a part of a group option?

There were a few differnet options that got the aux post. Fuse #2 in the diagram

post-1146-0-14056400-1465490665.jpg

I don't think removing the fuse box is necessary. If you back the nut off enough I am pretty sure the carriage bolt head will slide into the grove. Slide it all the way in then tighten the nut up to hold the bolt. I made one before I knew midlife sold them and that's how I did mine.

I don't think removing the fuse box is necessary. If you back the nut off enough I am pretty sure the carriage bolt head will slide into the grove. Slide it all the way in then tighten the nut up to hold the bolt. I made one before I knew midlife sold them and that's how I did mine.

That's the way to do it.

Midlife would you explain a little further ?  I would like to get your set up but would like to know how to properly install the 20 amp fuse ?  How does the lower fuse holder install, I'll  need that part, and can I get a few bullets to fit the ext.  ?  BrianBrian

Once you slide the carriage bolt in place and snug it down, the second half of the fuse connector will be in place and then you insert a 20 amp fuse just as you would any other.

The question I have is what are the male ends of those connectors called and where can I find them?

Got the accessory post and fuse holder from Midlife today and put it in.  No sweat.  Plugged my voltage  and oil pressure gauges into the extension.  I had a fused wire wrapped around the end of fuse # 1 before.  Just kinda tidy's things up a bit.  Thanks, Randy

post-33155-0-71984900-1466040262.jpg

post-33155-0-44959300-1466040277.jpg

I'm pretty sure that will handle a lot more than 20 Amps.  Though you now have a fusible link to your wiring harness.

My dual electric fans are wired to this accessory post and the relays come with a 30 and 40 amp fuse. What amp fuse should I use in the stock fuse box for the accessory post?