Sign in to follow this  
demon69

Borgeson Power Steering

Hi

I have a 69 with factory power steering, the control valve is buggered.  I am considering upgrading to a Borgeson box but have mixed messages concerning the power steering pump.  Some say the factory pump will be okay, others say you require the Saginor P/S pump??   Secondly, is the drive that much better with the Borgeson box that it is worth paying the extra cost vs the cost of replacing the control valve.  Appreciate your comments based on your experience.

Thanks

Peter. 

i just did mine and i had to go to the borgeson pump. The factory pump just couldn't do it and trying to make turns at slow speeds was almost like driving a manual car. as for the cost being worth while, that's a though one. i didn't have a problem with how the steering felt but it was leaking and the box needed being rebuilt pretty bad. To be fair, im not sure how much different it would be if i just rebuilt or bought a new box. It's a tough call because by the time you order the kit, you could start putting that towards a rack. 

I have to agree with Bryonbush, if you're gonna upgrade your steering a rack is the way to go. If $ is the issue you can rebuild your control valve yourself for around $60 bucks and it's not all that hard to do, and save for a rack. I just don't see spending the $ to upgrade to a Borgenson, when all is said and done you'll still have a vintage style steering system. JMHO.

I made the switch on mine last year. I had a factory power steering setup as well. I tried with the stock pump and the low rpm operation was like manual steering. I changed to the Borgeson pump and it was much better. As far as was it worth it, I thought the car drove much better with the Borgeson,it felt much more reponsive and did not wander as much on rough roads. Between the steering upgrade and suspension changes it felt like a different car. I don't think I would have got the same effect by rebuilding the existing steering setup but can't say for sure. I know other cars I have had with similar setups that were rebuilt did not work as well as my current setup but I just do not prefer the assist cylinder design. Personally I would look at Borgeson,CPP steering box or rack and pinion conversion if you are looking to improve on the stock design.

Tim

Well I have the borgeson box sitting next to my car. Haven't installed it yet. I have a later year ps pump. The plastic housing pumps. Not sure if it'll deliver the necessary pressure. I guess I'll find out. Gonna ditch the factory ps set up. Plus my steering box is so shot to the point of you try to turn the wheel it just pops.

I did the upgrade on my '68 and used the GM pump and 14:1 integral box. You add a few degrees of caster and car drives like new. The hoses stay up top and it is a really clean installation. You cannot use this set up with a manual trans "Z" bar. I have a cable clutch, so wasn't a problem. Plan to use same setup on my 1970 convertible.

Original Ford PS pumps when properly rebuilt work great and keep their originally to the car...I'll bet a dime to a donut if your original Ford PS pump isn't doing the proper job with a Borgeson box... the pump is defective and needs overhauling...

Original Ford PS pumps when properly rebuilt work great and keep their originally to the car...I'll bet a dime to a donut if your original Ford PS pump isn't doing the proper job with a Borgeson box... the pump is defective and needs overhauling...

that's a though one. while my pump wasn't new, it had no problems like worn ones show signs of. no hum, whine or leaks. I read that the stock system puts out 7-750 psi and the borgeson is pushing 1200. that's a big difference in pressure which really shows in this box. were also talking about going from a hydraulic ram to push and pull, to much smaller valve system in the borgeson box. that alone requires more pressure to operate than our pumps could offer. while at higher rpm's our pumps did OK, at idle speeds there's no way it could handle what the borg box required. 

that's a though one. while my pump wasn't new, it had no problems like worn ones show signs of. no hum, whine or leaks. I read that the stock system puts out 7-750 psi and the borgeson is pushing 1200. that's a big difference in pressure which really shows in this box. were also talking about going from a hydraulic ram to push and pull, to much smaller valve system in the borgeson box. that alone requires more pressure to operate than our pumps could offer. while at higher rpm's our pumps did OK, at idle speeds there's no way it could handle what the borg box required. 

My Ford PS pumps are rebuilt by Rodes Restorations, Galion Ohio...phone...419-4685182...Roger basically blueprints the pumps...my steering is effortless at idle....3pedal