Sign in to follow this  
Sean D

Which Neutral Safety Switch to use?

Hello Everyone,

I have a 69 Mach 1 that currently has a 70 c6 transmission. The car does not have a neutral safety switch installed and the wiring at the firewall is crossed to let the engine start. okay, yes, but I can start the engine in any gear...so not good!  And also have no back up lights. Therefore I would like to install the neutral safety switch. So know I need to decide with one to purchase. As you can see from the table and picture, the 69 and 70 are different, where the 70 has taller standoffs to clear the locking column lever. But my 69 does not have a locking column. Does this mean I should use the 68-69 part? If so this would be great since companies like Scott Drake are making them, but no one makes the 70 part, which mean NOS and big money.  

C7ZZ-B C6 '68-'69 Transmission One Quad Plug

D0ZZ-B

C6 '70-'72 before 12/1/71 Transmission One Quad Plug with taller standoffs to clear locking column lever.

post-45378-0-03413100-1464903332.jpg

I would use the one which plugs into your existing harness AND fits your transmission.  I think the 69 and 70 harness plugs for this switch are the same, but don't quote me on that as I don't have a 70 diagram in front of me.  Bruce

I believe the harness plugs are the same between the two years, but the base that attaches to the transmission is different. Anyone out there have a 69 stang with 70 c6 transmission? Which one do you have?

Here is an article about neutral safety switches: http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/1308-how-to-troubleshoot-neutral-safety-switches/

I was not saying that mustangs had column shifters, but in 70 they did have column levers for tilt or ignition switch that is in the column.

Guess I will order both and see which one works. Thanks all!

I have one of these on my 69 right under the  PRND21 indicator.  I use  it for my tilt/breakaway  steering wheel, so it only breaks away  if in park or neutral.  I will need to look at it and see what it is, if that helps.

Danno

My '69 came with a C6 but I switched to a C4.  I just got the neutral switch for the FMX trans and installed it in my shifter just like for an FMX.  The connectors were the same so it was an easy plug in.  

BTW, where did these photos below come from?  How do I get rid of them?