Sign in to follow this  
geraldchainsaw

turn signal lites

hi,  last nite my left turn lite stopped blinking,   right is fine,  so this mnrning i changed both back and front bulbs,  nothing changed,    front left turn signal lite stays lite but won't blink,  could it be the flasher fuse?,   been a long time since i had to work on the lites,  and getting old dosen't help either,  thanks   jerry

I assume you're running conventional bulbs, not LEDs.

Signals blink because of current flowing through the flasher module. If the current is too small, the flasher won't blink.

Obvious causes are blown bulbs, blown fuses, or a bad flasher module (Since one side works, your module and fuse are probably ok but you might try a different flasher if you've got one)

Make sure you have the correct, 2-filament, 1157 bulbs on all 4 corners.

Take a look at the connectors and bulb sockets to make sure they're clean, tight, and not corroded. Make sure the wiring has no bad splices or corrosion.

The brake lights use the same filaments in the back, so make sure they are working ok (i.e, the brake light switch on the pedal is ok and the brake lights work as expected)

If everything else is good, the headlight switch and turn signal switch can do funny things to the electrical system on these cars when they start going bad.

Good luck, electrical problems can be frustrating.

yes i'm using the 1157 bulbs,  i'm going out and check to c if the brake lites work,   i did change the flasher with a new one,    i guess i'll have to go out and clean everything,  i'm sure its a simple thing,  but not at the moment,   thanks the info,   jerry

ok,  went out and checked everything again,   all  lites turn on with lite switch,  right side turn signals work, front and back,  and brake lite when i hit the pedal.  but,   left side turn signals don't work,  front or back,   left rear lite brake pedal dosen't work  when pressed,   i'll probly end up taking it in to a electrical shop,  man,  i hate to do that.      forgot to add,  i cleaned all connections,  checked #'s on bulbs

One other thing to look at -- the tail lights each have a single wire spade lug connected to the bulb socket for ground. If that falls off, the buckets aren't grounded because they're insulated from the body by foam gaskets and the light stops working

Might be worth a look.

One other thing to look at -- the tail lights each have a single wire spade lug connected to the bulb socket for ground. If that falls off, the buckets aren't grounded because they're insulated from the body by foam gaskets and the light stops working

Might be worth a look.

Good idea, but that doesn't explain why the front left turn signal isn't working.  My thoughts are that the turn signal switch is going bad.  One test is to use the e-flasher (four way flasher) and see if the left side bulbs work.  That system bypasses the turn signal yet uses the same wiring to the front and rears.  If the left side flashes, then it's the turn signal.  If not, the problem is in both the front and rear wiring.