42ITUS

Please offer your opinion on color

I have my 69 Fastback about ready for new paint in the next few weeks. I was pretty much set on Ford Magnetic Gray, and going black on the headlight buckets and taillight panel. I am also planning to paint the hood black in the same design as a 69 Boss.

I have at least a couple of weeks before I decide on the paint, but lately I'm considering going with Lexus Atomic Silver. I love the way that this paint reflects light and gives it a darker tone around the curves. So please chime in with your opinion. Lexus Atomic Silver or Ford Magnetic Gray?309029d1387667774-atomic-silver-owners-o

Dusold-Designs-Project-6G.jpeg

Thanks.

My car is moon dust silver (Chrysler new yorker color)

and will be the next time it gets paint...I like the look..

I do love the Acapulco blue it just looks good..

Its Your car paint it any color you want... You are the one that has to live with it.

I have strip the paint off my car 24 hours after being painted I hated it so much..

Thanks everyone for their input. I feel like I'm going to love whatever color I go with. I'm leaning towards the silver because I like how the black will pop against it. I also feel like the silver will tie everything in together. The chrome, my wheels, etc. 

Thanks again and feel free to chime in and make my decision that much more difficult! But it's like picking between the hot blonde or brunette. Can't go wrong!

I recently just got my 69 coupe done in new Ford "Ruby Red Metallic" (deep red metallic color on late model F-150/Explorers/Expeditions).  It's a huge change to the medium blue metallic I used to have, and it's not an "original color",  but I am especially thrilled with it - perhaps more everyday, including after the first month or so of settling in with it.  

post-14729-0-67717200-1464776771.jpg

post-14729-0-99794800-1464776808.jpg

This red would not play well probably with black as a secondary color (either stripes or headlight buckets/tail panel) because it is so dark, so probably not an option.  Of the colors you mentioned, I prefer the Atomic Silver.  It's a stronger color, and if you are into the silver/grey, it will be stronger, and contrast better with the black.  

It is hard to tell if the atomic silver is glossy or flat.  If glossy, even better, but if not, I'd go with the ford color which clearly is glossy.  That's a personal personal preference... but I'm not a fan of the flat, and I think it kills the sparkle of a muscle car.

Good luck.  Be sure you get something YOU like, and you're not picking a color that someone else thinks is cool.  Be your own dog, and enjoy.

I am a bit of a Luddite when it comes to colors, not only do I only really like factory colors, I only like them for their original model year. 69 Mustangs in Calypso Coral in anything other than Boss models just seems weird to me. It's like an Olds Cutlass with Buick Rally wheels. It just doesn't look right.

It's your car and you should paint it whatever you want, but the last two decades have produced a jillion black, grey, silver and white cars. It's like the mfgs are allergic to an actual color. Look at a parking lot these days and tell me a black and white photo would look much different than a color photo would.

For that reason, I am not a fan at all of painting vintage muscle in the same colors of all these sterile new models.

What was the original color of your (the OP) car?  Was it a decent original color?  Did I miss that or was it never posted?  I use to always want a color change thinking it would look better.  Anymore, in my mind, a color change looks different and not necessarily better.  Then down the road, if the car is ever for sale, I think most buyers prefer a car, regardless of what kind it is, in its original color.  I know at the time the car is being painted you might be thinking that will never happen, but you never know.

Thanks again everyone. Love all the comments!

I love the Ruby Red!

Lots of cool metallic reds out there.

House Of Colors color samples . The fine metallics look way better then the old school heavy metallics.

Adding pearl tends to make the paint look a little dingy/dirty.

http://www.houseofkolor.com/kolors/

CANDY APPLE

hqdefault.jpg

BRANDYWINE

hqdefault.jpg

Lots of cool metallic reds out there.

House Of Colors color samples . The fine metallics look way better then the old school heavy metallics.

Adding pearl tends to make the paint look a little dingy/dirty.

http://www.houseofkolor.com/kolors/

CANDY APPLE

hqdefault.jpg

BRANDYWINE

hqdefault.jpg

These are indeed some good options Barnett!  I thought by getting the "production paint" option from Ford that it would be cheaper than the other "candy" colors, but it wasn't.  The shop showed me legit receipts for the paint (over $2K in paint supplies!!  ACK!)  The ford color is (to me) a nice mix of making the red dark enough to be pretty, but the metallic and pearl coats make it shine brilliant in the sun (it is maybe a bit too dark on a cloudy day).  The ruby red was shot as a 4-stage paint.  Ugh - no.  I never wanted to pay for all of that....  That said, I love how it came out.

One of the best "car makeover reveal" scenes I have ever seen is here: 

Amber Heard's color is Brandywine (mentioned above) as painted by Foose and his crew.  Beautiful.  The ruby red is a little brighter I guess, and so I am still happy with it in comparison.   One thing I have found is that these colors DO NOT photograph that well.  The pearl and metallic record poorly on the digital cameras I have used on my car.

Anyway, I understand about the silver/grey options.  I thought about them, but I wanted a bright color, as I agree that far too many car's these days pick, black, grey, tan white colors.  I really like the paints that mini-cooper is putting on it's scooters these days - those guys have some good paint-taste.

Best of luck 42ITUS!!  Paint is fun!  Get what you like! (it was really hard for me to figure out exactly what I really wanted - I had to try and silence all of the "advice" I was getting.... picking a color is not a "logical thing")

Jay

One of the best "car makeover reveal" scenes I have ever seen is here:  Amber Heard's color is Brandywine (mentioned above) as painted by Foose and his crew.  Beautiful.  The ruby red is a little brighter I guess, and so I am still happy with it in

That's pretty cool especially with that color . We were actually asked by Chip to help out on his blue BOSS 302 project so that was fun . One of my friends painted some of the cars for that show too.

boss302.jpg

These are indeed some good options Barnett!  I thought by getting the "production paint" option from Ford that it would be cheaper than the other "candy" colors, but it wasn't.  The shop showed me legit receipts for the paint (over $2K in paint supplies!!  ACK!)  The ford color is (to me) a nice mix of making the red dark enough to be pretty, but the metallic and pearl coats make it shine brilliant in the sun (it is maybe a bit too dark on a cloudy day).  The ruby red was shot as a 4-stage paint.  Ugh - no.  I never wanted to pay for all of that....  That said, I love how it came out.

One of the best "car makeover reveal" scenes I have ever seen is here: 

Amber Heard's color is Brandywine (mentioned above) as painted by Foose and his crew.  Beautiful.  The ruby red is a little brighter I guess, and so I am still happy with it in comparison.   One thing I have found is that these colors DO NOT photograph that well.  The pearl and metallic record poorly on the digital cameras I have used on my car.

Anyway, I understand about the silver/grey options.  I thought about them, but I wanted a bright color, as I agree that far too many car's these days pick, black, grey, tan white colors.  I really like the paints that mini-cooper is putting on it's scooters these days - those guys have some good paint-taste.

Best of luck 42ITUS!!  Paint is fun!  Get what you like! (it was really hard for me to figure out exactly what I really wanted - I had to try and silence all of the "advice" I was getting.... picking a color is not a "logical thing")

Jay

Hi Jay,

I forgot about that episode. That is possibly the most gorgeous red I've ever seen on a car. Thanks for throwing that into the ring!

Tom

I went with a Gray and black color scheme.  I also blacked out the headlights and rear panel.  I would do it all over again and don't regret the choice.  My daughters want me to repaint it pink and I stopped saying over my dead body because I don't want them driving a pink mustang to my funeral!

24505_424420066080_1231427_n.jpg?oh=1f13