Ridge Runner

A trip in time back to 1969 at the drag strip

Thanks Ridge, that's a nice trip back down memory lane. About that time my brother-in-law was running a 390 in a chassis he built,  stuck a Metropolitan body on, and then put a velvet paint job on it- the Fuzzy Red Metro! He even talked my sister into driving it.

Yikes! That 69 looked a bit light in the arse at speed. First time I went to a drag race was early 70's out in Raisin City. There were only a couple of funny cars for some reason. One car was the Whipple and Mr Ed f/c, don't remember the other, and one of the drivers was Ed McCullock. Heck, I thought the drags was pretty dang cool.

Thanks, Ridge. My first trip to the drags was 1974, Englishtown, NJ. The 351 Clevelands were dominating Pro Stock around that time, one of the reasons I still like Fords... I wonder how many of those 427 SOHC's are still around.

Thanks, Ridge. My first trip to the drags was 1974, Englishtown, NJ. The 351 Clevelands were dominating Pro Stock around that time, one of the reasons I still like Fords... I wonder how many of those 427 SOHC's are still around.

Thanks for the video Ridge.  My first trip to the drag races was a little drag strip out in western NJ called Island Dragway in Great meadows, NJ in 1979.

I know a guy that has a few ,he was a racer and sponsored by ford in the 60s .They are new ...never used and he will not sell .He has several parts ,heads ,blocks timing covers ,you name it .

Wow, how cool would it be to build a period-correct hot rod around one of those engines.

Never used and he will not sell...

No one lives forever and many times family's don,t have the same love for an old piece of metal sitting in the corner.

Cleaned out more than one so called gold mine in my life and have one to go..

Much of it looked worthless to me...

Supercharged Alky 427 SOHC cranking out 1500 HP! I love it.

Now just think about cars like the Hennessy Hellcat Chargers and Challengers cranking out 1,000+ hp for the street these days. Zero to 60 in 2.7 seconds? My, how times have changed.