Sign in to follow this  
Sean D

69 deluxe/mach 1 - glove box light switch

I am looking for a glove box light switch for my Mach 1. It works with the map light that is in the clock bezel and turns the light on when the glove box is opened. It is the switch that protrudes through the glove box opening on the left side under the rubber bumper. Anyone have one or have a good idea to make one?

post-45378-0-06854800-1463507940.jpg

Well, not so fast there young man. Welcome to the forum! We (I) like to get acquainted just a bit, so a little about your car, you and your location is nice. We're mostly a friendly bunch here and wish you luck on your build.

Back to the light. I guess this means I'll need to try and locate mine as I don't recall removing it, 17 years ago. You'll get an answer soon, hang tight.

The Convenience Group option included the map light, trunk light and parking brake light.

The map light is surprisingly rare, most Mustangs didn't get them. I think they were standard on Cougars, though..

Looked thru my wiring and didn't see anything resembling that light switch. Checked my Instructions from MidLife and there was no mention of a glove box light or switch. Hmm...

Well, not so fast there young man. Welcome to the forum! We (I) like to get acquainted just a bit, so a little about your car, you and your location is nice. We're mostly a friendly bunch here and wish you luck on your build.

Back to the light. I guess this means I'll need to try and locate mine as I don't recall removing it, 17 years ago. You'll get an answer soon, hang tight.

Thank you for the warm welcome RPM!

I am not knew to mustangs...as I have owner plenty over the years. A 68, two 69s Mach 1s, some 90s models, and a 2013 Boss 302. Now on my 69 Mach 1, I am restoring everything in the from steering wheel to the firewall, and this is my last part that I am missing. This switch is located in the glove box opening under the left bumper and it will turn on the map light that is located in the clock bezel. This lights up the glove box contents when opened. West Coast Classic Cougar currently does not have any, and was wondering if anyone had any laying around. BTW here are some pictures of the progress. Some may not like the carbon fiber wrap, but it doesn't hurt and I can remove it without hurting the wood grain. We will see over time if I leave it. The prior owner had replaced all the mach 1 interior that was worn out with some 70 standard interior....crazy I know, but I am now taking it back to what it should be.

post-45378-0-74218300-1463694202.jpgpost-45378-0-08789900-1463694206.jpgpost-45378-0-11383100-1463694212.jpgpost-45378-0-90092500-1463694214.jpgpost-45378-0-80070700-1463694223.jpg

Thanks for that info Sean, it makes sense now. I noticed the hole for the switch, and didn't even think about the map light providing illumination. 

I ordered this hoping it would work but it would require enlarging the hole in the glove box where the plug inserts.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/glove-box-light-switch-without-bulb-1965-1968/p/HW1603/

Having gotten to that project yet.

There is also the map light but I have a standard clock and the map light is not long enough to attach to the screw posts.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/deluxe-interior-map-light-assembly-with-switch-1969-1970/p/DLL10/

There is also the map light but I have a standard clock and the map light is not long enough to attach to the screw posts.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/deluxe-interior-map-light-assembly-with-switch-1969-1970/p/DLL10/

Yeah, the light assembly for the standard interior is different than the deluxe interior.

What you need is the glove box light switch for a cougar. The cougar uses a light above the glove box for the glove box light.

The first CJ link you have is for the stock standard one

Bob