Sign in to follow this  
Lil John SVT

Power Steering Pump With Borgeson

I ordered a ton of parts getting everything ready to restore my mustang. One part is the Borgeson power steering box. I've read countless post about the stock pump not being able to supply the needed pressure for the new box. But my car doesn't have the original pump. Honestly I don't know what pump is on it. Maybe somebody can chime in and tell if this pump is gonna work or if I need a different one. Thanks.

post-36221-0-36915000-1463348601.jpeg

post-36221-0-61561200-1463348614.jpeg

I read most of it. I have stock exhaust on my 351w but I will be installing headers later on. Instead of looping it around the shock tower, I wonder if you could make a small hole in the shock tower and loop it around back to the pump. I know making holes in the towers would be frowned upon, but if it'll be simpler and easier why not. You could reinforce the holes with a patch panel to keep the strength. Just a thought

running hoses through holes and into an unprotected area seems like a bad idea. and if you have seen these hoses, they arnt that small in diameter. If i was to make my hoses this is how i would do it:

make the hose from the pump go straight down to go under the car. then run the hose against the sub frame under the headers but above the steering components. the house can then go back up to the box. if there was a draw option on here id do it 

the problem with the borgeson hoses is the end that goes to the box leads you right towards the shock tower. lucky this end is AN hose compatible and you can buy fittings to adjust, but that just adds to the cost to cobble something together. then as you can see with my pics, the pump end leaves you very litttle option other than to buy a bracket to move the pump out, or to buy fittings, or make a new hose. also the return hose was way to short as well, so i had to buy a longer piece. by the time i was done, i was well over $100 in hoses and fittings to get it to work. making new hoses would've been a little cheaper, and made for a cleaner/easier set up. 

here is a crappy quick paint drawing showing how i would run the hose if i made new ones. all the other pictures arnt mine

post-39227-0-89453300-1464012369.png