henkster

Which parts supplier should I go with??

Guys,

I have a 1970 coupe

I am looking to get some input on these following parts suppliers.

www.cal-mustang.com
www.macsautoparts.com
www.mustangsunlimited.com
www.cjponyparts.com
www.scottdrake.com
www.aapd.net
www.npdlink.com

What I am looking for is which supplier has better deals and are good to work with or completely stay away from.

The other thing is how is availability with the supplier? and do they take care of back orders in a timely manner.

If you have better experience with a supplier not listed please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Henk

Henk,

I have had good experiences with NPD and CJ Pony.

Had an issue with the chrome quality on some door handles, NPD stood behind their product no issue.

I would use them for everything but their freight costs are higher than CPJ usually.

Purchased some dynacorn fold down seat trim from CJP, and initially had some issues getting it sorted, but they came to the party eventually.

Wouldn't purchase from Laurel Mountain Mustang again, poor quality grille trim and basically told me that's as good as it gets.

Currently having an issue getting Mustang Project to stand behind their product, but have heard good things about Vintage LED's if you are looking at products like that.

Thread on these products in the technical section.

I had a good transaction with Mustang Depot. If you order on Wednesday they have a coupon code for 5% off. I forget what it is, but if you call them they will give you the code. They didn't have much of it in stock, but they filled the order pretty fast.

I bought a majority of the stuff I needed from CJ Pony Parts and NPD.  If you are not in a rush and can buy parts well ahead of time, buy them from CJ's only when they are running a sale and you will almost always find the lowest price across any of the companies.  Outside of a sale, they tend to be on the higher side.

When I needed something quickly, I usually went with NPD to avoid any potential backorders from CJ's..

-Mike

NPD - 1st choice

CJP - 2nd choice (or if I'm only ordering a single inexpensive item, since shipping is free)

I've received dozens of orders from both of these vendors over the past few years.

From early 2013 thru early 2015 I purchased approx. $19,000 worth of parts for my car. I would estimate that about $12-14,000 of that was from CJ Pony. They were most helpful and fair. I don't know about price but with their shipping included I found it easier to keep track of. Rarely did they not have what I needed. I did buy some shaker pieces from Mansfield Restoration. Positive experiences there also.   Dave R.

I prefer NPD for their 24/7 toll-free lines and superb customer service; everything is in stock..  Right behind them is one company not mentioned: VA Classic Mustangs.  Again, superb customer service, reasonable prices, almost always in stock.  Only drawback is a non-toll-free phone line and Sundays off.  For shelby specific stuff, Cobranda.com is good.  These are about the only three companies I consistently deal with.

California Mustang 4 Stars - Great location if I need to pick up parts for same day projects. Are slightly more expensive but they did price match a set a 4 magnum500s that I wanted.

Mustangs unlimited 5 Stars - Probably my favorite so far. Very inexpensive, tried them for the first time when NPD had the spindles I needed on back order. They also have the best customer service reps I have come across.

NPD 4 Stars - Great all the way around, I have had great success from them so far

#1.  NPD usually has everything in stock, and Rick, the owner, is a Mustang guy and

tries his best to get good quality, and if something has fit problems the catalog lists

the steps necessary to make it fit. Bonus, their Michigan warehouse is only 10 miles

away from me!!!

#2.  CJPP - Have always gotten good parts...   FREE SHIPPING!!!

#3.  Kentucky Mustang - Great Customer Service!!!  

TMI Special Orders, NO PROBLEM!!!   And at a GREAT PRICE!!!

Dido on all prior post, used CJ for my 70 vert, 68 J code, and now my 69 Mach. NPD will have lower prices but shipping sky rockets the total cost in comparison. Will order what they do have in stock on one ticket, then turn around and order all b/o items so entire order isn't help up.
I recently heard about Mustang Market for door panels, upholstery, and carpet, all licensed Ford repops, lower price including shipping.
Order all parts needed on Sun evening, receive that week, install, and order more for the following weekend.

John's Mustang in Houston Tx is who I used for most of my parts.

He's easy to work with, has good prices, will meet all the other guys prices if he is higher, and always has stuff in stock.

If you do like I did and make one big order then drive down and get your parts you can inspect everything, and get a cash discount long as you pay cash :P plus save on shipping LOL.

Don't know your location but if your within about 4 hours its worth the drive.

NPD for me ,i would order right over the phone and they would hang in there no mater how large my orders were ,and some of them were very large .Built several cars through them ,and they knew who i was when i called . For my 69 shelby parts i still use Branda .I usually order by email and Karl is always a big help .

NPD for me ,i would order right over the phone and they would hang in there no mater how large my orders were ,and some of them were very large .Built several cars through them ,and they knew who i was when i called . For my 69 shelby parts i still use Branda .I usually order by email and Karl is always a big help .

Why would you buy the 69 Shelby parts from Branda, when you made all those parts for Stangoholics ?

I actually make parts for several companies ,some for Stang-aholics ,some for Precision off road racing ,some for 91 Octane classic restorations and a few well known i can't mention .I like branda for their grills ,hood peak moldings ,Bumpers ,bumper brackets and several other Shelby pieces .

I use NPD, CJ, and Branda most of the time.

Don't mean to hijack but do you make the Stang-Aholics fiberglass parts?  We drove to their shop back in 2012 and picked up their '69 Shelby kit and made our clone. 

IMG_1290_zps869c3b78.jpg

For everyday random stuff, I just use NPD.

A few years ago I did a down-to-the-metal full restoration, and had huge spreadsheets with lots of parts listed. The rub is this, NPD has a great buyer who is very focused on quality, and if there are multiple manufacturers for an item, you can count on NPD to have the best ones. When you are doing a large resto, and discounts starts to add up, there is an argument for CJPony. Also, when there is only one manufacturer for an item, then you may as well shop price, because if it all comes from Drake, there is no need to pay for quality as they are all the same. It really adds up when spending over 10k on a resto.

I had two spreadsheets, one for CJ and one for NPD. I bought all the NPD stuff where I thought there would be quality variations, and I bought CJPony when I knew it was all Drake or a single manufacturer, because they were cheaper and had free shipping. The challenge was in guessing if it was a single mfg for the part or you were going to get better quality, there was an element of guesswork. Backorders are an issue with CJ, and you can't always tell when you are going to get BO'ed, which can be frustrating.

I am a manufacturer and I have sold to most of these people, and with very few exceptions, all are good at what they do. I feel NPD goes the extra mile in quality, and CJ goes the extra mile in discounts.