edwards54

Front speaker replacement

I've read around about this, and I haven't heard of anyone doing much of anything with the center dash speaker.  It's kind of surprising, but most audio people say you need pairs of speakers and separation.  So, my impression is people aren't utilizing this speaker position.  I completely refurbed my dash and I wound up just leaving the speaker out.  It seems like it would be a good place to have a sub woofer, but I don't know of anything that would fit.  So in the end I did nothing for this speaker position.  I'm interested to hear other ideas/recommendations too.

I installed one of these with an AM/FM stereo out of a 1974 Ford. It fits the stock location and works ok for my needs but hardly high fidelity. It would complement door or rear seat speakers ok I think.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/custom-autosound-dash-speaker-dual-voice-coil-1967-1973/p/SPK37/?year=1969&gclid=CIz30qva2cwCFQ6oaQodeFYBSg

61xhCvQcL7L._SY355_.jpg

Wouldn't the one from CJ's fit an A/C car? It doesn't look much different from stock.

I've got the dash apart in my 70 A/C car. I'll see what kind of distance there is between the the panel and the center A/C vent and report back.

It looks like there is 3.5 inches of available space due to an indentation on the center vent. Given that the magnet on the stock speaker and the magnet on the CJ piece look to be about the same depth, I'm willing to give it a shot.

I don't know if I'll get flogged for saying this but LMC truck (in the 73-87 Chevy truck catalog) has a dual voice coil single speaker for the dash of those trucks and I believe it is the same size. (3.5").

Edited by 69FB

Custom Auto Sound claims they sound the best as replacements. I know they kind of have a dog in the hunt since they make them, but they do have higher priced options.

I imagine that double speaker tilted towards each-other would sound bad no? battling frequencies or what ever?

Not always....yorkville audio uses this configuration in their very popular low end cabinets for commercial audio..the real concearn would be the lack of baffles surrounding the speakers. Waves coming off the front and back would mingle causing a loss of low frequency. It also contributes to serious loss of power handling capabilities

It actually sounds quite good, and I was not concerned with low frequency loss mainly because I wanted to use those speakers as more of a mid/high freq speaker since I have 6x9 in the rear, and 2ea 4" drivers in the driver and pass seat with a powered 10" tube in the trunk.