RPM

Upper Mounting Bracket for Champion Radiator?

What are you guys with aftermarket radiators with a wider (actually thicker I suppose} top tanks using for the mounting bracket? I've already made two lower brackets from strap steel and 1/4" rubber cushions. Since the upper bracket is visible, I'd rather not resort to my Rube Goldberg ancestry.

Ya, I seriously thought of doing that. But with the shape of the edges being rolled, and even if I spliced in a section of an original bracket, I didn't think I could make it to my liking.

post-5441-0-15955100-1462681403.jpg

post-5441-0-02873500-1462681455.jpg

I also made mine from aluminum . My tank is 3" thick and I found that 64-67 GTO bottom insulators will work on the bottom and top. Of course you have to modify the bottom brackets tho.

Dave 

Ya, I suppose this is another project I'm over thinking. I even caught some grief from my 30 year old engineer nephew. If I don't make or buy a brake in the next few days to replace my stolen brake I'll hit you up Bob. Thanks guys, good info as usual.

Me neither. You funny guy!

Top 3 Aluminum Alloys For Bending

1. 3003. This would be the best solution for most application. This alloy exhibits medium strength, the best cold workability together with high elongation such as 25% and one of the biggest differences between yield and tensile strength of 14 Ksi (Kilo-pound of force per square inch) at 0 temper – annealed, followed by the H14 temper which is partially annealed and strain hardened.

2. 5052. 5052 is a close second. At the annealed temper, it has an elongation of 20% and the difference between yield and tensile strength of 21.5 Ksi. It is the highest strength alloy of the more common non-heat treatable grades. It has excellent corrosion behavior and in the annealed condition has better formability than 3003 or even 1100 alloys, with 21.5 Ksi of difference between yield and tensile strength and up to 20% of elongation.

How bout using an aluminum beer can . Don't need a brake to bend that.

If the rad has a flange on the sides, you could bolt it to the sides of the core support and use rubber grommets . if it has no flange, you could still trap it with a simple bracket on the side with a rubber insulator if you can keep it from lifting up but that really isnt a prob cuz it wont lift up under normal conditions.

this way, you will not have any bracket on top, which imo is cool looking and i have done this before.

Boeing 777

If the rad has a flange on the sides, you could bolt it to the sides of the core support and use rubber grommets .

this way, you will not have any bracket on top, which imo is cool looking and i have done this before.

You been spying on me??? About a year ago I made up a couple of adapter brackets using the side flanges of the radiator to bolt to the existing hole of the radiator support opening. I thought the side flanges wouldn't be strong enough over time.

post-5441-0-65079200-1462753913.jpg

Ya, I suppose this is another project I'm over thinking. I even caught some grief from my 30 year old engineer nephew. If I don't make or buy a brake in the next few days to replace my stolen brake I'll hit you up Bob. Thanks guys, good info as usual.

I have a box&pan brake I am going to sell as well if you need one

Bob

I have the Champion 4 row rad in my car. I took 2 upper rad mounts and cut them where it goes over the rad and welded them together, filed, and sanded them smooth so it looks like original then had it powder coated black. I ordered 2 sets of upper rad rubbers from CJ's and cut them to fit the bracket. looks like original but wider. I will post a pic later.

Here are a few pics of mine. I could have spent a little more time smoothing them out. There aren't perfect but my car is a driver that gets shown once in a while not a show car. It's a little dusty in the pics but shines nicely when wiped down. Also i used this fan controller for the dual fans. it is a nice piece and easy to install.

http://derale.com/products/electric-fans/fan-controllers/high-amp-controllers/7-25-standard-thermal-fan-clutch2013-10-18-11-52-51874872-detail

post-13052-0-64630500-1463437681.jpg

post-13052-0-28961300-1463437704.jpg

post-13052-0-10377900-1463437731.jpg

post-13052-0-48800200-1463437887.jpg

Cool, thanks Kevin. I just picked up a second oem bracket and may do the same. This one isn't doing much for me.

You don't like that aluminum bracket?

I think it looks quite decent and much better than a modified stocker.

Overthinking it!  Buy a repro bracket.  Now you have two.  Cut pieces from one of them to splice on to the second one that you are making wider.  The shape should be correct.  If the repro doesn't exactly match, buy two of them.  End result is an original looking part.

When I was in undergraduate school for mechanical engineering instructors always drilled into us, K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid.

I'm not calling anybody names.  Just saying, it's best to keep it as simple as possible.  It's only a bracket.