69mach1build

Anyone running 4 wheel disc brakes without power brakes?

I'm finishing up my install of wilwood disc brakes all the way around on my fastback and I am currently planning on keeping the brakes manual.  It is not a daily driver, wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has this setup and what the pros and cons are?

I have manual drums right now that are in good working condition.  I can tell you that in an emergency it takes a lot of leg strength to exert enough pressure on the pedal to stop quickly.  I often wish I just had the correct brake booster because I don't drive the car hard enough that brake fade makes much of a difference.  Anyways I would never have brakes without a booster again whether they were discs or drums.

david

I wish I did. Several guys here have them and will probably jump in. The important thing is to use the correct bore master cylinder. Which M-C does Wilwood recommend, and which M-C are you using?

I wish I did. Several guys here have them and will probably jump in. The important thing is to use the correct bore master cylinder. Which M-C does Wilwood recommend, and which M-C are you using?

I don't have a MC yet.  I will most likely go with a wildwood model that they recommend.

I have 4 wheel disc manual brakes on mine. x2 on what rpm said. They have a couple of different bore sizes and (if i remember correctly) the smaller is what you want with no booster. I have found that as long as you have a properly bled mc and lines, you stop just fine.  Sure, it's more pedal effort, but if you stop all the same, I'm happy. The convenience would be nice if it's a daily driver, but i guess that's a matter of preference as well.

I don't have discs on the rear, but I do have manual brakes with a Wilwood master cylinder that they recommended for the application.  They work great. Make sure you use the proper manual pedal.  The leverage point is very different for the manual brakes.  If you use the power pedal, you will not like your brakes!

Mustang Steve has the info on the pedals on his site.

Usually 15/16 or 7/8 bore but depends on what calipers because of volume requirements.

Yep. My understanding is the smaller diameter, the higher the pressure but less volume of fluid.

I converted to 70 spindles w/ disc in front and 69 drums on back. I'm using what Chockostang sent me, a Manual MC from a Maverick which has the bigger bore (right now I can't remember what size) and a rear proportionate valve.

The main reason I went manual was that my vacuum is 10* and I didn't want to lose anymore going to a booster.

The car stops fine when I'm not on it, but racing and stopping is a different story and I do feel brake fade.

I like my Magnum wheels and if I go rear disc, they wheels won't fit on the larger disc.

If I should ever fine a nice set of 18" wheels then I would jump on rear disc and maybe a power booster.

I converted to 70 spindles w/ disc in front and 69 drums on back. I'm using what Chockostang sent me, a Manual MC from a Maverick which has the bigger bore (right now I can't remember what size)

74 Maverick manual disc was 15/16 bore.

I have Front SSBC  Discs with their Manual Master Cylinder and Equalizing Valve, and I have a 8.8 Inch Rear out of Ford Explorer in the rear with the stock disc brakes. Works great.