Drews93fox

How to start the build

Might have had the front clip grafted on, check the vin on the upper aprons as suggested maybe. Wrap arounds came on Boss 302's and CJ cars. Some 351's came with sometimes one random one on either side. I also saw a totally original 351C 4spd Mach 1 over there with wrap arounds. Someone may have added them also.

Good luck with the project

All big block cars have the reinforced shock towers.

All good answers....

Excellent that you have the ability and time to take body shop classes...I wish I did. My theory is that if you buy these cars right and can do the body work/paint, you can probably break even on costs. I also know that any restored Mach1 brings a lot more than $15k.

I don't know the answer to this but I would also check the frame to make sure that whoever had it before and started repairing it, didn't realize that it was out of square and decided to sell it to you.

Sounds like you are in good shape skills wise and this forum is a good source of info.....the only fear is that after a couple of years looking at it sitting on jackstands and balancing your CC statement you don't get discouraged. I have to remind myself of that right now. I have another convertible car that I am having to completely re-do the brakes and currently waiting on parts as I sit outside in the nice 70s degree TX weather.

Good luck

Might have had the front clip grafted on, check the vin on the upper aprons as suggested maybe. Wrap arounds came on Boss 302's and CJ cars. Some 351's came with sometimes one random one on either side. I also saw a totally original 351C 4spd Mach 1 over there with wrap arounds. Someone may have added them also.

Good luck with the project

All 351 and bigger engine cars are supposed to have the wrap around towers.

Bob

If the body were a '70 to match the radiator support, hood, & taillight panel ... it should then have the vents in the door jams above the striker plate (pic of drivers door opening, this car does not).   Unless some 70's were without these vents, I doubt anyone would have replaced the door jamb.

As far as the shock towers, I don't think the image is large or clear enough to really see if they are the wrapped BB type or not ... at least my eyes can't see it !!

Doug

If the body were a '70 to match the radiator support, hood, & taillight panel ... it should then have the vents in the door jams above the striker plate (pic of drivers door opening, this car does not).   Unless some 70's were without these vents, I doubt anyone would have replaced the door jamb.

That's a good observation and only a through check for panel date codes and factory spot welds will determine exactly what has been done . Inquiring minds want to know.

Either way, if it happens t have a front clip off a 428 car with 428 numbers, I might toss a 428 in it then.

As far as the shock towers, I don't think the image is large or clear enough to really see if they are the wrapped BB type or not ... at least my eyes can't see it !!

Doug

What is the wrap that everyone is taking about? I don't have a clue and can't seem to find anything online about it. Also, thanks for the heads up with the vents in the door jam!

That's a good observation and only a through check for panel date codes and factory spot welds will determine exactly what has been done . Inquiring minds want to know.

Either way, if it happens t have a front clip off a 428 car with 428 numbers, I might toss a 428 in it then.

I want to know as well! haha  With everything that has been said these last couple of days, I am ready to know the story on the car. Unfortunately the PO can't tell me anything more than I already know.

With the 428 comment, are you saying that the vin under the fenders would tell me if it had a 428 in it? 

With the 428 comment, are you saying that the vin under the fenders would tell me if it had a 428 in it? 

If the vin is under the fenders it will tell you the year and plant it was built in and the engine it came with and the order number.

My first time seeing this thread.  That is an odd mix of 69 and 70 parts on that car.  Plus, at least from the pictures, it looks like the wrong motor in the car for a Mach 1.  Maybe its the photo angle but engine looks small, like a 302 would be.  I've seen people take a 69 or 70 Sportsroof and install Mach 1 interior, badges and stripes.  I may have missed this, but I'd take a close look at the VIN.  It looks like a small block car so the 5th digit should be an H or M for a 351W 2 barrel or 4 barrel respectively.

My first time seeing this thread.  That is an odd mix of 69 and 70 parts on that car.  Plus, at least from the pictures, it looks like the wrong motor in the car for a Mach 1.  Maybe its the photo angle but engine looks small, like a 302 would be.  I've seen people take a 69 or 70 Sportsroof and install Mach 1 interior, badges and stripes.  I may have missed this, but I'd take a close look at the VIN.  It looks like a small block car so the 5th digit should be an H or M for a 351W 2 barrel or 4 barrel respectively.

The car is a Mach 1, I ended up getting a marti report for the car. Everything matches the car as it looks. The PO "built" the motor, it is a 351 windsor, 4 barrel. The code in the vin is H, he did the work to the motor.

What is the wrap that everyone is taking about? I don't have a clue and can't seem to find anything online about it. Also, thanks for the heads up with the vents in the door jam!

They technically aren't called "wraparounds", I have never heard that phrasing until this thread, they are referred to as reinforced shock towers. On all big block cars and Boss 302s, there is a distinct 2nd layer of metal attached to the bottom half of the shock towers.

Here is the standard tower for all small block and 6 cylinder cars:

tower2_zpsa7jmo2jk.jpg

And here is the reinforced tower:

tower%201_zpsulu51yix.jpg

I have never seen 351 cars with reinforced towers that came that way from the factory. Not saying it's never happened as it was Ford assembly in the 60s, but I have looked at hundreds and hundreds of cars and never seen it. Matter of fact, when you see a 428 Mustang at a car show, and the vin is obscured, you can tell it's a swap by the shock towers.

They technically aren't called "wraparounds", I have never heard that phrasing until this thread, they are referred to as reinforced shock towers. On all big block cars and Boss 302s, there is a distinct 2nd layer of metal attached to the bottom half of the shock towers.

I have never seen 351 cars with reinforced towers that came that way from the factory. Not saying it's never happened as it was Ford assembly in the 60s, but I have looked at hundreds and hundreds of cars and never seen it. Matter of fact, when you see a 428 Mustang at a car show, and the vin is obscured, you can tell it's a swap by the shock towers.

Very good, thank you for the information!

Andrew 

Okay, so for the update on the vin. After the DOT checkout out the car, I decided to take the fenders off the can and take a look at the vins. On both sides, the vin matches! I'm very happy that it does. Like I said, the car was crashed on the drivers front, the first part of the inner finder was somewhat straightened and the radiator support has been changed out.

The car does have "wraps" on both shock towers. They look to be factory as well.... so I'm not sure on that one.

I have about a month until I get my bonded title and then I will be able to start on the car

Thank you for all of the input, I am glad that the car is original and has matching vins.

Andrew