michael2938

Bad day. Who wants to play name that part?

I guess I am not a fan of the shortcut method, I would rather save my shekels and do it close to right rather than have to do it again in a couple of years.

Yeah, I understand.  The problem is that I would otherwise be out of a car for a majority of the nice weather months, not to mention spending at least $2k+ I don't have.  I don't expect it will take more than a couple hundred dollars and 3-4 days sometime in the next few weeks to get back up and running.  This way I can plan out a longer term build and do it the way I want rather than be rushed into it.

I did get a chance to tear down the '74 engine a bit.  It's dirty, but so far no real issues as far as I can see.  The only thing I am not sure about is these pistons.  I'm assuming these are lower compression than the stock '69 351w 2V pistons I have. I haven't actually pulled my engine out yet, but I know for a fact at least one of those pistons and rods is destroyed.

zyTabKv.jpg

c64cN1o.jpg

That 74 engine looks awful but often they are not as bad as they seem.

How much ridge can you feel at the top of the cylinders?

Do you see any cylinder scoring?

If things look decent you can throw rings and bearings in that and likly be good reliable for 30k miles.

Based on what you are saying, if I was in your position I would pull that engine down and have it tanked so you get the passage ways cleaned out. Get it back together and running in the car.

Then I would go on the hunt for a good 69-70 block to base a rebuild on. That way you could build the replacement engine over time.

When I got ready to swap engines again I would sell that 74 engine as a you can here it run engine, and take a deposit before you pull it out

Bob

That 74 engine looks awful but often they are not as bad as they seem.

How much ridge can you feel at the top of the cylinders?

Do you see any cylinder scoring?

If things look decent you can throw rings and bearings in that and likly be good reliable for 30k miles.

Based on what you are saying, if I was in your position I would pull that engine down and have it tanked so you get the passage ways cleaned out. Get it back together and running in the car.

There is a slight ridge... enough you can catch your fingernail on it a little, but otherwise didn't seem too bad.  I didn't see any scoring, but I'll give it a closer look once all the pistons are out.  Probably in a couple weeks when I get back out to the shop.  My father in law will be helping with this, as he has rebuilt plenty of engines before.  I expect we'll clean the block, hone the cylinders, replace bearings, rings, clean the pistons, and if there is no damage to my heads they will get a valve job to make sure everything seats well.  Along with anything else I am forgetting.

30k miles would be a lot for as little as I drive it.  But yeah the search will be on after this for another block to build over the next few years.

-Mike

Honestly, do you live in a metro area or something where you can find a used 69-70 complete engine in running or almost running condition? It would probably be cheaper than what you will be spending on this one. Looking at the gunk inside, the engine you have wasn't taken very good care of. You will have $500 into the heads alone if you get hardened seats.

I have a 69 351W out of my Cougar, I'm going to swap in my 306/T5 out of my Ranger since it's strong and running great.  I might be interested in selling it, although I was going to rebuild it and put it in my other Ranger later down the road. It was a 2bbl  and had 82K miles and ran without smoking when I took it out. I did discover a bent push rod after I took it apart. I think it could be just honed a little and new rings and bearings. Also have a newly rebuilt FMX i don't need.

I'm in Birmingham, Al. 

Thought I'd give you guys an update.  Turns out the guy who had the '69 351w actually had a 302, so that didn't work out. 

With memorial day off this week, I was able to get 3 days to work on the car with my father in law.  We brought the car to his shop on Monday, pulled the engine, rebuilt the '74, and had it back in and running last night (Wed).  I finally got to see what the inside of my engine looked like, and it was an absolute mess.  As far as we can tell, it looks like a rod cap nut came off somehow.  In the pile of broken parts I found a bolt without a nut and no damaged threads, so this is likely the culprit.  Of course, I have no idea how that happened as when the engine was rebuilt it was torqued to the right specifications using a torque wrench.

Anyway, here are some pictures.

IMG_7722_zpslkml4wsq.jpg

IMG_7727_zpsgo9mzq4c.jpg

IMG_7751_zpsd2iewght.jpg

IMG_7755_zpsgzc9qjjd.jpg

IMG_7750_zpsruptxtsk.jpg

And here are pictures of the cleaned up and rebuilt '74 and going into the car.  Fired up pretty easily last night. 

IMG_7502_zpsmtmv91lx.jpg

IMG_7507_zpsqrx6sms2.jpg

IMG_7772_zpsov2nzjqh.jpg

IMG_7793_zpsrflujy5f.jpg

IMG_7818_zpsfv0mqaja.jpg

That 74 cleaned up pretty well. Holy dish on those pistons! What are those, 6 to 1? LOL!

Car looks good.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I did some research a while back and figured this came from a '74 Galaxie, but I can't be 100% sure.  And I forget what the compression was rated at, but it will work for what I wanted right now anyway.

sounds great. have you been to either of those shows before (w/ car or as spectator)?

Small correction, the Falls City club show is in Sellersburg, Indiana. I have never been to this one but I know someone who has. And then Queen City show I have stopped by as a spectator a couple of times over the years. This one just seems like an ok show. I just realized the Nuxhall Miracle fields show is that weekend so maybe I will take the car there instead.

Any recommendations on your favorite shows or cruise ins in the area?

not sure i have any particular favorites. although i personally think some of the best are the ones located downtown in a small city (like in sharonville, franklin, lebanon, glendale, etc). those attract a lot more spectators and feel like they have a lot more happening.

i went to the early spring event in sellersburg (falls) and it was ok.  that wasn't their feature show though.

sorry to say, the queen city event is a snoozer (wish more people would get their old fords out). i don't know if its simply a fact of people leaving their old cars at home and driving the new ones or what (i have nothing against the new cars and think they look great). it seems there may have been 25 or so pre 80's cars and barely any spectators.  they seem to have an award for every car that comes though....

...and if any member of Queen City mustang club reads this, please wake up and have the rule to have windows up for judging removed...

Yeah I agree about the ones in a downtown or more populated area. The Madison, Indiana Riverfront Run car show is another good one like that. It was the last weekend in May.

The times I stopped by the Queen City show it was not great weather so I was hoping it was just due to that. Being in a school parking lot away from people doesn't attract many spectators. I do agree about vintage cars though, it's too bad because they are out there.

That's strange about the windows up... Are you saying they require people to roll up their windows in order to be judged? I have never heard of anything like that.

Yeah I agree about the ones in a downtown or more populated area. The Madison, Indiana Riverfront Run car show is another good one like that. It was the last weekend in May.

The times I stopped by the Queen City show it was not great weather so I was hoping it was just due to that. Being in a school parking lot away from people doesn't attract many spectators. I do agree about vintage cars though, it's too bad because they are out there.

That's strange about the windows up... Are you saying they require people to roll up their windows in order to be judged? I have never heard of anything like that.

when you register they give you a slip of info.  one of the items indicates the windows are to be rolled up for judging (don't know the exact wording).  so of course a large percentage of the cars were there with the windows up (this is your typical show, not a concours type judging) and makes it annoying to just look at the inside of the car as a spectator.

same thing at a mustang club of ohio event (i think queen city was supporting this event).  so i'm not sure if it's some flowdown from the MCA or what.  for these types of events, it makes no sense. the few who i asked gave me either a garbage response or didn't know.

when you register they give you a slip of info.  one of the items indicates the windows are to be rolled up for judging (don't know the exact wording).  so of course a large percentage of the cars were there with the windows up (this is your typical show, not a concours type judging) and makes it annoying to just look at the inside of the car as a spectator.

same thing at a mustang club of ohio event (i think queen city was supporting this event).  so i'm not sure if it's some flowdown from the MCA or what.  for these types of events, it makes no sense. the few who i asked gave me either a garbage response or didn't know.

I agree that would be annoying if most of the windows were up.  Seems pointless to me since if they were going to do a concours judging on it, they ought to be opening the doors and really getting up close with the car anyway.  So yeah, for a show like that, whats the point?

I'll have to keep an eye out to see if I come across any shows like that.

i went to the early spring event in sellersburg (falls) and it was ok.  that wasn't their feature show though.

I went to this show today -- it wasn't too bad, but I was disappointed in the vintage cars there.  I counted 99 total cars at the show, and 20 of them were '73 and earlier mustangs.  There were two '69's and 3 70's. The best of show winner was the other '69 - a Boss 429 in perfect condition.  It was the best Boss 429 I had ever seen in person and very deserving of the win.  Of course when you don't drive the car, it's much easier to keep in that condition.

Of course when you don't drive the car, it's much easier to keep in that condition.

Zachary! But I'd probably be too skeer'd to drive any B9 regardless of condition.