emorybritt

What Roller Rocker arms for Ford 302 Crate?

I recently dropped in a ATK HP06 Ford 302 base engine 300hp. I want to do some mild/cheap upgrades nothing serious or a real project. I was wondering what would the best roller rockers be? Also, what would some similar upgrades be? I'm looking to make the most hp out of this but on a small budget and also without having my car off the road for long. Here are the stats: 

• Horsepower: 300
  • Torque: 336 lb/ft
  • Block: Seasoned OE Roller Block 
  • Bore/Stroke: 4.040 x 3.000
  • Year Range: 1987-1995
  • Displacement: 302 C.I.D.
  • Crankshaft: OE Ford Cast 3.000" Stroke 1 Piece Seal Externally Balanced 50oz.
  • Connecting Rods: OE Steel Rod 5.400" Stock Bolts
  • Pistons: Hypereutectic
  • Piston Rings: Moly Rings
  • Compression Ratio: 9.1:1 Compression
  • Camshaft: Hydraulic Roller
  • Camshaft Specifications: 219/219 @050 .498in/.498ex 112LSA
  • Camshaft Bearings: Installed & Clocked to OEM Position
  • Cylinder Heads: OE E5TE/E7TE 62cc 1.77/1.46
  • Freeze Plugs: Brass Installed & Sealed
  • Rocker Arms: Stamped Steel 1.6 Ratio
  • Oil Galley Plugs: Installed & Sealed
  • Oil Pan: OE 5qt. Dual Sump �Fox body�
    Weight:400

clear1x1.gif

I went with these (or something very similar) on my engine. Mine's the original 302 with a retrofit roller cam. My specs are very similar to yours, my cam is a little hotter but maybe a 300 HP engine on a good day. I would think they would work for you and won't break the bank.

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CC&Product_Code=1431-16&Category_Code=MagnumRoller

I went with these (or something very similar) on my engine. Mine's the original 302 with a retrofit roller cam. My specs are very similar to yours, my cam is a little hotter but maybe a 300 HP engine on a good day. I would think they would work for you and won't break the bank.

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CC&Product_Code=1431-16&Category_Code=MagnumRoller

So with my limited knowledge, any rocker with a 3/8" stud and 1.6 ratio will work? Just making sure because I've been browsing craigslist and want to make sure. Also, have you or anyone noticed any gains? Or just a more reliable engine? 

No, not a any 1.6 ratio arm will work.

There is ratio but there are also dimensions too.

It has to be for a ford small block like you have.

If your engine came with a mild cam, I would agree with the 1.7 ratio giving it a little bump.

Some people prefer to put the 1.6 on the intake and the 1.7 on the exhaust to give the ford small exhaust side a little help

Someone used to sell the rocker sets like that

Also, do,you have adjustable or bolt down rockers?

Bob

No, not a any 1.6 ratio arm will work.

There is ratio but there are also dimensions too.

It has to be for a ford small block like you have.

If your engine came with a mild cam, I would agree with the 1.7 ratio giving it a little bump.

Some people prefer to put the 1.6 on the intake and the 1.7 on the exhaust to give the ford small exhaust side a little help

Someone used to sell the rocker sets like that

Also, do,you have adjustable or bolt down rockers?

Bob

As far as I know they are bolt down. And as far as milling the heads, what all does that entail? Remember, I am on a low budget and can't have my car off the road for a long period of time. I currently do not have 3.25 gears I have 2.80 with a T5 tranny but if I was planning on re-gearing would it be bad to run the 1.7 ratio rockers until I upgraded the gears?

As far as I know they are bolt down. And as far as milling the heads, what all does that entail? Remember, I am on a low budget and can't have my car off the road for a long period of time. I currently do not have 3.25 gears I have 2.80 with a T5 tranny but if I was planning on re-gearing would it be bad to run the 1.7 ratio rockers until I upgraded the gears?

dont worry about the heads with your budget.

if you have good stock rockers, i would use those then buy the 1.7's after you change the gears.

You do not need to mill the heads for roller rockers, you just need to order the correct stuff for your application.

If running stockish hydronic cam you can use the bolt down roller rockers no problem.

There is also a stud kit that avoids milling.

You can run what you have for now and add the roller rockers later, no issues

Where are you located? Perhaps you can do some swapping with a member for a gear set better suited to what you want

Bob

Personally I wouldn't waste my money on just roller tip rockers like the ones suggested above without some other engine modifications.

True performance  Roller Rocker have needle bearings at the fulcrum point on the stud as well as a roller at the tip.

Most of the friction (loss) gain is at the fulcrum point not the tip.

An upgraded cam for the 302 is not that expensive and with the addition of true roller rockers you should then see a performance kick....just my 2 cents.  

SCORPION

If you want more power, buy 1.7 ratio but you should have a least 3.25 gears.

You can also mill the heads to increase compression but will need to use thinner head gaskets to improve the quenc clearance.

+1  with Scorpion roller rocker arms.  I've have Crane Gold Race roller rocker arms on one of my vehicles.  On my Mach 1 I have had Comp Pro Magnum roller rocker arms and now Scorpion roller rocker arms.  Of these three the Scorpion's are by far much better quality, and the Comp Pro Magnums were the worst, in my opinion.

Well the reason I am asking is because I want to do some upgrades and get a little more power. So if I can't do rocker arms until I Re-gear, what would be some similar upgrades. Going with the cam idea, what would be a suggestion for a new camshaft? And would I have to do anything else when swapping the cam? 

I am in charlotte, nc. I have a 9" housing sitting at home just waiting for a gear set as well. Im unaware of the pricing of gears? Also I've heard that rear ends aren't a novice job and if so I would have to factor in the price of a mechanic putting that together. 

Any other ideas on how to get the most out of this setup on a budget? 

In general, the "bigger" the cam is, the numerically higher the gears need to be, so you are limited with what you can do with your current gear ratio, and the only real "budget" way to get more power out of it is set the carb secondarys so they open at the optimal time and set the timing curve so it is optimal for your setup.

There simply is no "budget" way to making a significant increase in power.

If you want roller rockers to get a noticeable increase in power, save your money because they will not do that.

Higher ratio rockers will, but again, it's better if you change your gears if you go to higher ratios.