Sign in to follow this  
MN69Grande

Rant Alert - Shop prices for basic work

Ok I'm really just writing this post to commiserate.  I had my wife take her Daily into a shop we've used for years to get estimates on the 100,000 and 120,000 service for our Honda.  I'll admit we change the oil on a regular basis but are mostly late on the rest of the scheduled maintenance.  But I fear the timing belt going out and killing the motor (nice little 3.0 V6). 

So they said we should do the water pump at the same time as the timing belt.  Ok no biggie.  The rate was what I expected.

But then they got to the Brakes, Plugs, and S-Belt.

Rear Pads and Rotors more then $400

Spark Plugs $350

S-Belt $120

So about $900 for basic maintenance stuff.  As much as the Timing Belt. 

I did what I think most of you guys would do and went to NAPA.  Total parts in hand About $170.

The breaks took me 2 hours because I didn't know how to use a certain tool.  I expect a real mechanic could do it in 1.

I'll do the other 2 jobs this weekend but expect to spend maybe an hour to complete them.

Can someone explain to me what I would have gotten for another $700 at the shop?  Even if I double the cost of the parts that's more than $500 in labor for what should be 3 hours of work.

END RANT

someone has to pay for those Mac tools and boxes! i've always had the thoughts that ill try anything myself and worse case scenario, i end up paying for it to get fixed anyways. But yes, some of the shops around here want $80+ an hour for their work is stupid high. then they look at you funny when you look under the car and point out that they didnt hook up the speedo cable to the trans and there's loose wires they left hanging... sometimes its like the Mcdonalds kids wanting $15 an hour to wrap a burger a computer processed!

I can tell you what you would not have gotten.....your hands dirty

You may also not have the piece of mind associated with knowing it was done right

Bob

I do like getting my hands dirty, but I have a list so long on the stang I'd rather be messing with that.  But yes it is nice to know how it was done.  Also I got to buy a new tool.  So I got that going for me - which is nice.

Price quoted shows they don't want to do the job is what I see..  not unless their labor rate is $150+ per hour...   plugs $350?  takes 45 min at best. 

Took me 50 with 2 breaks to help my daughters with whatever they were doing.  I only have the Serp belt left.

Now here is the kicker I didn't even pay attention to.  They suggest replacing the water pump at the same time as the Timing belt.  This seem reasonable (besides the price) on the face of it.   Well folks.  Just so you know the water pump is on the other side of the engine no where near the timing belt.  On top of that it is the easiest part to get to after the spark plugs and battery.  I guess I will just choc this up to when good shops go bad.  We used to get good service at fair prices.  Oh well there are other places I guess.

So that new brake tool of yours, is it the little cubic tool you need to push the pistons back in by turning them?

G

Actually it impact screw driver.  I never used one before.  there are 2 retaining screws on the rotor.  Wish I had know such a thing existed before. 

Impact screwdriver? That's interesting. Does it work with air?

No it's the strangest thing.  And I used it wrong for the first 90 min!  Basically you set it to the direction you want, in or out.  Then you put slight to medium twisting pressure on it with your hand/wrist.  Then smack it with a hammer.  It keeps the rotor from spinning as you twist the driver and keeps you from stripping the head of the screw.  The Honda's have these shallow counter sunk retaining screws.  They are impossible to the get off with a normal screw driver, or even a driver attached to a ratchet.

Now I thought it would be spring loaded and do the twisting for me.  IE change the swinging force of the hammer into rotation.  But it didn't or I broke it with the first couple swings.  So I pretty much just banged on the rotor for and hour swearing while my wife looked on with bemusement. 

I got one at O'Reilly's but couldn't find the link.  Here is something similar from Northern's site:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_36882_36882?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Hand%20Tools%20%3E%20Screw%20%2B%20Nut%20Drivers&utm_campaign=Northern%20Industrial%20Tools&utm_content=15825&gclid=Cj0KEQjwvOC5BRCb_8yNmZ_ls9IBEiQACTz8vgbvB4il_5HwitVZCyOF2EFn5g_NHMmiK4xCYi_97MAaAuje8P8HAQ

someone has to pay for those Mac tools and boxes! i've always had the thoughts that ill try anything myself and worse case scenario, i end up paying for it to get fixed anyways. But yes, some of the shops around here want $80+ an hour for their work is stupid high. then they look at you funny when you look under the car and point out that they didnt hook up the speedo cable to the trans and there's loose wires they left hanging... sometimes its like the Mcdonalds kids wanting $15 an hour to wrap a burger a computer processed!

In my area, shop rates are $95 to $120 per hour.  So I do all my own repair and maintenance work.  And yeah, most of the toolboxes in those shops look like they need a trailer hitch to move them.  I can't imagine how they ever pay for those huge tool boxes.  It was much different when I was younger working as a technician.  Everybody purchased the tools they needed and nothing extra.  A couple of the the best technicians I worked with had toolboxes from Sears.

I had a similar experience with a shop I've used for 15+ years. They charged my wife a small fortune for some basic work. Now I have to find a new place.

I also suddenly have a need for an impact screwdriver.

I had a similar experience with a shop I've used for 15+ years. They charged my wife a small fortune for some basic work. Now I have to find a new place.

I also suddenly have a need for an impact screwdriver.

The 5lb maul style hammer is also needed if you are trying to get a point across...  Though I wouldn't use it on a car.

Actually it impact screw driver.  I never used one before.  there are 2 retaining screws on the rotor.  Wish I had know such a thing existed before. 

I bought one circa 1999 to remove the door striker phillips head screws, and had the same results that most have. Can't remember ever using it again.

I bought one circa 1999 to remove the door striker phillips head screws, and had the same results that most have. Can't remember ever using it again.

Kind of like my line Flaring kit.  Used in the mid Nineties again 10 years after that.  Now it sits in the tool chest 'in-case'  I need to make my own lines or I twist of a flaring while changing a Caliper or Brake Cylinder.   One more time... Just one more and it paid for itself over renting.  Not including the time value of money of course!

Yeah I almost have a stroke every time I hear what friends are charged to have their cars worked on.

What really gets me is the Tire places...

You go in to buy 4 new tires and get an alignment and they tell you oh it will be about 4 hours because the alignment guy or tire techs are doing another car...WTF really?

I can clearly SEE the alignment machine has NO car sitting on it and I know for a fact that the alignment tech isn't on a test drive LOL..And the tire techs oh my what are they doing ?

I worked in a tire and alignment shop and if I couldn't dismount, mount and balance and install 4 tires in under an hour I wouldn't have had a job, and then I helped the alignment guy install all the sensors and cables and assisted with the alignment which took about 30 min if he didn't have anything major to do, so in under 2 hours we could do 4 tires, and an alignment EASILY and Bob was a Slow ass alignment guy but he was probably one of the best in town.

I have an impact driver. I use it mostly for old motorcycles, where the phillips head screws semi-weld themselves to the aluminum cases. It's very handy.

I recently started having brakes hanging up on my 2011 Regal, and feared a caliper failure. They have the screw pistons in the caliper as well, so I didn't have the tool or the desire. Took it to the dealer and the hang up was just corroded sliders, but they said it needed pads and rotors on all 4. Estimate was $900. I had them do the rears since I already had money spent, but damn, that normally about a $250 job for me, depending on the rotors that I buy.

I know they gotta make their money, and I know these brake jobs make up for the warranty work where the take it up the arse, but no way am I spending near a grand for basic brake work. I will be buying that special tool for the rears and doing it myself in the future.

Yeah I bought that cube thing back in the 90s that was 20 bucks that paid for itself a hundred time over. I also have a press that expands between. Where the pads go and the piston for the ones that don't screw out.

Yeah I almost have a stroke every time I hear what friends are charged to have their cars worked on.

What really gets me is the Tire places...

You go in to buy 4 new tires and get an alignment and they tell you oh it will be about 4 hours because the alignment guy or tire techs are doing another car...WTF really?

I can clearly SEE the alignment machine has NO car sitting on it and I know for a fact that the alignment tech isn't on a test drive LOL..And the tire techs oh my what are they doing ?

I worked in a tire and alignment shop and if I couldn't dismount, mount and balance and install 4 tires in under an hour I wouldn't have had a job, and then I helped the alignment guy install all the sensors and cables and assisted with the alignment which took about 30 min if he didn't have anything major to do, so in under 2 hours we could do 4 tires, and an alignment EASILY and Bob was a Slow ass alignment guy but he was probably one of the best in town.

Funny I did a summer at tires plus. An hour would have been a luxury to do 4 tires. Our alignment guy was also the 30 point sell unneeded repairs value check/inspection guy. So of course he was always busy! He was telling some poor soccer mom that the front wheel felt loose and thet needed to do some work so she wouldn't crash with all 6 kids in the car.

Ok now I have to add plumber's to the list as well.  Scheduled in advance to come to our house at 9am.  Showed up at 1pm for 10 min and said he wouldn't be able to do the job call someone else.  Thanks for wasting my time bud.....

And don't get me started on the cable guy...!!!

I grew up with an impact screw driver.  Started with the motorcycles too.  It's the first tool I grab if I have tight screws to deal with.  The trick is to get it out the tool before you figure out you need it.  Dam stripped out heads....