Sign in to follow this  
maleah

Power brake booster installation

Going to be buying and installing a power brake booster on my 69 convertible.  What parts are exactly needed and can I piece it together with my current parts?  I currently have front disks, rear drums and the original break/clutch pedal combo.  I have the correct master cylinder with no proportioning valve.  Any drilling needed in the firewall? Any input would be appreciated.

Wont need to drill anything.

Just get the correct master and Booster.

Also going to probably have to swap to a different brake pedal arm, as the power Vs non power pedal have different mounting holes.

Your car should have a distribution block which will do what it is supposed to as long as its working

Are you getting some kind of kit or just a booster?

If its just a booster..... pedals and push rods will be different..as mike has already posted....break lines wont line up..and maybe the line fittings thread size will be a different   also..

Having already replaced mine let me tell you its a very

tight fit..........Mine was born with power breaks.

If your lucky your car has no motor or dash installed...That would make life much easer.. 

Im guessing a kit would probably be best since I only have the correct master cylinder and distribution block at this point.  Will a kit offer a pedal for a manual transmission?  The car originally  had drums all the way around.  i put discs on the front and have drums on the back so the car should have the original brake/clutch pedal for a drum brake set up correct?

forgot about the firewall cutting sorry LOL.

Look at a Pwr Brake package from CSRP... Price is Good and Hardware and Parts along with directions are top notch.

My Granada Power Kit I got from them will stop my car on a dime... I was actually VERY Surprised at how well it stopped

You do NOT need a kit. This swap is easy

Get the power pedal. If you can only find the power pedal for an automatic you have two choices. Cut the pedal pad down or remove the manual pad from your old pedal and weld it to the new pedal.

I have several pedals and if you cannot weld you can send me the pad from your old pedal and I will weld it to the power pedal if you buy it from me.

The pedal is not hard to put in, you turn it 90 degrees and put it up then then twist into position. Done it many times.

Go buy a replacement booster. Or you can buy a new booster. I put the Tuff Stuff booster on my 69. It is the came booster as used on the boss429 cars and gives a little more room in that area. Power brakes work just fine and the booster was around $200 from summit

You have to oblong the large round hole and drill a hole below it. Easy to do with the engine will in the car unless you have a 390-428.

You also have to drill out and break out the captured nuts in the pedal support but that too can be done with it in the car

You will also need to replace the brakes lines from the prop valve to the MC as the ones you have current may not be long enough

You need the vacume port that screws into the back of the intake for the booster vac line

Bob