po51

408W stroker

So I ended up with this engine to settle a debt did not have much choice it was this or nothing. The engine has never run since the rebuild. I got a few notes with the engine that's about it, can anyone interpret the following:

- ALL NEW CNC ALUMINUM CYLINDER HEADS POWER MAKING FEATURES!!. Bowls blended,full 
severe duty 2.05/1.60 valves plus ... 1.45 springs 70 degree super locks comp cam parts..good porting..7/16 studs guide plates.gasket match p.c seals.chrome moly retainers
110 center line 587 - 597 lift 1.6 ratio = . 248/250 dur @ 050 

Basic settings 12 degree @ 1000 rpm and 36 total at 3000 rpm no vacuum advance
Jets 70 using 750 holley vac sec. idle about 1000 rpm . For the dist use only a mechanical advance model

The guy I got it from claims the builder said the engine would produce 517+ hp @ 4400 RPM 459 ft. lbs torque 4500 RPM but who knows!

I know it’s not a lot of info and it’s not real clear. Any thoughts on this or opinions about this would be a great help!

Steve

What opinion are you looking for?

How much it is worth?

Should you keep it?

Should you give it to me......that one would be yes....

Should you stuff it in a car and run the hell out of it.....yes

Bob

Sounds like a nice engine...with that cam I'm thinking it might be low on idle vacuum which will give you no power brakes  and poor shifting with a standard  automatic valve body.....I would jet the carb up to mfg specs and go 2or 3 numbers up...I would also shoot for 15 degrees initial and 34 all in at 2500 rpm...check with cam mfg to spec proper springs....   it should sound great and develop the power stated.......3pedal

i think they meant 500+ at 5400rpm.

the description of the distributor sounds like a manufacturers out of the box description.  i can't imagine a good cylinder head wanting 36 degrees on a SBF.

what cylinder head?  that shouldn't be too hard to figure out.  if it's not a very well respected cylinder head, then chances are they took short cuts inside...

i personally would tear it down and have it gone over (especially if you have no other documentation).

or just sell it and plead ignorance to the next buyer.

One of the cheaper brand aluminum heads "Patriot" actually is a pretty damn good head.

My good friend has had a set on his 408 with mild hyd roller cam for 5 years now and the car puts down 410 hp to the wheels through a TKO500.

So don't discount some of the cheaper aluminum heads.

I wouldn't thing that the motor would require much over 32 degrees total timing tho, but once again its engine dependant I suppose and cheap heads can have an effect on this LOL

So once again Buckeye Is correct :P

There are no markings on the heads, So I don't know who made them. I was told that additional work was done on the heads, it's all a mystery!

most likely a china head, I have avenger heads that FPS installs on their engines, but its bare head and they assemble everything in house. not sure about the parts though, its not a bad head but im seriously leaning to a new head and rocker arms.

I pulled a set of Aluminum heads off a friends mustang when he started having problems with it and couldn't find a name on them anywhere, just a few numbers.

I went to 3 of my favorite shops locally and they all had different guesses as to what they were...I finally stopped by an old friends house who is a Ford nut and as soon as I pulled the head out of the truck and said what kinda heads are these, he said "DAMN where did you get those old ass Trick Flows" They were cast aluminum, and so I called TF to verify and they said the heads were some of the earliest SBF heads they had made, so I had them reworked and flowed and Ill be damn if they didn't flow almost exactly as much as a Brand new set of TF Fast As cast heads LOL.

Don't discount the old stuff LOL.