Raven R code

Not a technical question but........

Does anyone have a Detailed Marti report on a 1969 Mach 1 with a 428(4-speed) that is Black in color? Curious how many were made that way. Having a tough time deciding whether to go with the original color, which is Raven Black or stray to Gulfstream Aqua. I know Black was special order for Mach 1's ( paint code A5)

Thanks,

Dave

I'll say what was said to me when I asked the same question. If you plan on selling it the original color is always more desirable. If you're keeping it, paint it whatever color you like best. The Gulfstream Aqua is a nice color.

I liked gulfstream aqua so much I changed the color of my car (from Winter Blue) when it was restored.  But if I had a marti report telling me it was originally raven black with a 428... there would be no question.  I would definitely keep the color.  That would be a great looking car.  How can you pass this up??

138465_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

Might have found my answer......

Very Rare 1969 Mustang Mach 1 Restoration!

Back in ’69 Ford produced less than 6000 Mach 1 Mustangs powered by a 428 Cobra Jet engine/Ram Air and 4-speed transmission and only 237 of those muscle cars had the Black on Black color combo. Out of the 237 Raven Black 1969 Mustangs only 184 were ordered with disc brakes and this beautiful example restored to its original glory by the Kult Cars shop based in Germany is one of those.

http://hot-cars.org/2016/02/10/fabulous-1969-mustang-428-cobra-jet-by-kult-cars/

Might have found my answer......

Very Rare 1969 Mustang Mach 1 Restoration!

Back in ’69 Ford produced less than 6000 Mach 1 Mustangs powered by a 428 Cobra Jet engine/Ram Air and 4-speed transmission and only 237 of those muscle cars had the Black on Black color combo. Out of the 237 Raven Black 1969 Mustangs only 184 were ordered with disc brakes and this beautiful example restored to its original glory by the Kult Cars shop based in Germany is one of those.

http://hot-cars.org/2016/02/10/fabulous-1969-mustang-428-cobra-jet-by-kult-cars/

My Marti report says 6473 were built in '69 with 428 Ram Air with close ratio 4 speed.   Dave R.

I had a black black 69 428 r code.

i restore cars and can tell you that the mustang black looks like crap because it is not a dark black and almost looks very dark gray from some angles . all black paint has some white in it . if you go with black, i would buy two thin 12 x 12 sheets of metal from home depot in the electrical or heating and cooling section [the last ones i got were next to the gardening department for some reason]and have your painter shoot the orig color on one and then have him make the same color with 10% less whte in it then look at them from different angles and several feet away around 1 hour before or after the sun is directly overhead.

the black toner is pure black but oddly enough, it would look like crap if you painted it with pure toner also . it seems that some white is needed to get a nice shade of black on a mustang.

i would also use base coat with clear coat solvent based PPG or Glasurit paint.

I'd go with the original color.  But I'm more of a purist.  For my taste I wouldn't start tinting to create something different.  I think the way your Mach 1 is optioned it's a little more rare than most.  My thought is changing the color would reduce its value.

You can not duplicate the exact orig color, therefore, the only Mustangs of any color that look correct are museum quality original ones and they look like crap next to a good two stage paint job that has been color sanded and polished..

To even get close to the original color and finish you must use single stage, then spray it on so it has a rough finish and not color sand and polish it and you can probably even save around $500.00 by doing this.

When mine was painted the painter suggested an acrylic enamel and no clear coat because it was closer to what was originally used.  It was however color sanded and polished.  I'm happy with it.  It's glossy but doesn't have that clear coat appearance.

If the 69 door tag calls out a ' 3A ' interior and paint code ' A ' then the Marti  MUSTANG... by the Numbers  book pg. 39  says; 0 HT, 1,559 FB and 0 CV.  No listing for a  A5  paint code.  Brian

My Marti report says the following: A5 Raven Black Paint, Ford #1724-A

I can't find any reference to paint code A5......does the 5 mean anything?

The black out on the hood is a flat black with texture added.  Sole purpose is to cut down the glare you would get from a normally painted hood and a subtle difference when applied to a black car.  This is a repaint, acrylic single stage, on my car and it came to me this way.  Brian

Yeah, the black out hood paint seems to be a bit tricky. I've only seen a few cars with it and they are all different. I have an original 69 Mach 1 hood with the original flat black. It seems to be a hard finish to keep clean. Just wiping your hand on it seems to leave a chalky mark on it. Then I've seen hoods with a little more sheen to it and it looks fine and is easier to clean. Regardless , It is one of my favorite features on a Mach 1. I guess that feature was inspired from the P-51 mustang cowl paint. I think the side scoops came from the P-51 as well.

Yes, if it's a single stage paint (no clear coat) flat, semi gloss, satins, etc. will get that chalky haze you mention.  My car was painted single stage acrylic enamel with hardener to be a more original paint type so the painter used a gloss black on the hood.  At the time I wasn't aware but his reasoning was the chalkiness after time that I would constantly be fighting.  I wanted the original type of hood paint so it took me a while to decide between original finish with eventual chalkiness or non original gloss finish.  It looks good but is not an original finish. 

Regardless , It is one of my favorite features on a Mach 1. I guess that feature was inspired from the P-51 mustang cowl paint. I think the side scoops came from the P-51 as well.

p51_E2S.jpg

Huh I never associated the Stang with a P51 Mustang, but dang you could be right.