Philitup

Compression test! Help!

Hey guys I ran a compression test on my motor today. I bought the car with a swap, it's either a 68 289 or a 69 302 im not sure and neither was the previous owner. I have some smoke coming out of the tailpipe and when I removed the driver side breather had a little blow by coming from the valve cover. The plugs were covered in oil and the 8th cylinder was reading 65 psi and the 1st cylinder was reading 90psi. Do you think the cause is bad valve stem seals, bad piston rings, or both? Money is very tight right now so trying to figure out what to do. Also if there is any temporary fixes for atleast a short time to reduce the smoke and help boost compression please let me know as money to rebuild a new motor is not really feasible right now. Thanks a bunch

The loss of compression would either be rings, or valves. Stem seals won't cause compression loss. If the plugs are covered in oil and the compression is low you have a tired engine. I wouldn't bother with trying stem seals (although they are probably bad too). If the plugs are so oily that they don't fire properly you can try using plug foulers, along with a tired engine oil additive, but you are running on borrowed time, sorry.

Hey guys I ran a compression test on my motor today. I bought the car with a swap, it's either a 68 289 or a 69 302 im not sure and neither was the previous owner. I have some smoke coming out of the tailpipe and when I removed the driver side breather had a little blow by coming from the valve cover. The plugs were covered in oil and the 8th cylinder was reading 65 psi and the 1st cylinder was reading 90psi. Do you think the cause is bad valve stem seals, bad piston rings, or both? Money is very tight right now so trying to figure out what to do. Also if there is any temporary fixes for atleast a short time to reduce the smoke and help boost compression please let me know as money to rebuild a new motor is not really feasible right now. Thanks a bunch

How did you conduct your compression check? Did you do a wet and dry test?

How did you conduct your compression check? Did you do a wet and dry test?

It would take a lotta wet to fix 65psi.....LOL!

Seriously, valves not seating very well will cost you compression, but not contribute to oily plugs.