RPM

Mystery Chingadera

I'm sure this won't be the last time I ask all y'all for help identifying parts as I put this car back together. I'm guessing something to do with electrical? The short end the brass ribbon spring has a male terminal, the other end has rub scratches on it. I can't make out the part number below the 5/16 bolt head. I know as soon as it's identified I'll reply with a DOH! Nice cell phone pics huh? Muchas gracias.

post-5441-0-68929100-1459303397.jpg

post-5441-0-98974900-1459303419.jpg

post-5441-0-96914700-1459304138.jpg

Goes on the emergency brake assembly.  It's the switch to control the brake light in the dash when the emergency brake is applied.  That feature was optional in 1969 but the switch was installed regardless.  The light it would operate is the same brake warning indicator light controlled by the switch on the pressure differential/proportioning valve.  My Mach 1 has that switch on the emergency brake and no wiring to connect to it so my car did not have that optional feature.

I know this is an old post, but someone might know here.  If the car originally came with the switch, but it was no longer there, (so no wire was connected) would the dash brake light come on?  

Just did a complete restore of a Mach 1.  New drums front and rear, new lines.  I bleed the system but I still have the dash warning light on.  I'm going to try to re bleed the system and see if it balances out.  Its not driveable yet so I don't have an idea how well the brakes will work.  

The dash light you are seeing is illuminated through a switch on the distribution block under the hood. It's meant to indicate a pressure imbalance between the front and back brake lines. It can be a bear to extinguish under the best circumstances and in bad circumstances it freezes up and won't go out without a rebuild. If you're confident in your brakes you can simply unplug the 2-pin connector on the brass distribution block and it will go out. Otherwise you must bleed each circuit (front and back) alternately until you get the slug in the distribution block to center itself and open the switch.

The switch on the e-brake pedal lights up the brake light that was part of the "convenience group" option package. On cars without the convenience group, I don't think you get a light for the e-brake.

ParkBrakeLamp2.jpg

On 4/18/2018 at 9:51 PM, 69RavenConv said:

The dash light you are seeing is illuminated through a switch on the distribution block under the hood. It's meant to indicate a pressure imbalance between the front and back brake lines. It can be a bear to extinguish under the best circumstances and in bad circumstances it freezes up and won't go out without a rebuild. If you're confident in your brakes you can simply unplug the 2-pin connector on the brass distribution block and it will go out. Otherwise you must bleed each circuit (front and back) alternately until you get the slug in the distribution block to center itself and open the switch.

The switch on the e-brake pedal lights up the brake light that was part of the "convenience group" option package. On cars without the convenience group, I don't think you get a light for the e-brake.

ParkBrakeLamp2.jpg

Thanks for the picture.  That eliminates one issue.  Going to have to work on the bleeding and see if I can balance it.  I did rebuild the distribution block, new switch and seals.

I found an old spec book and it shows this light as being a dealer installed option in the convenience group.  Looks like they had a number of dealer installed items.