RCE1313

Muffler Options

So here is the final result after we routed the tailpipes under the rear axle instead of doing turndowns under the car.  I believe it came out great and I shouldn't have any issues with the tailpipes hitting the ground. 

post-39106-0-68357600-1462368241.jpg

post-39106-0-08276800-1462368248.jpg

post-39106-0-29959200-1462368256.jpg

Very nice, you're giving me muffler envy! I notice you have coil overs- can this be done with leaf springs? Seems like it might work if they went straight back instead of dumping behind the wheels. I wonder if the axle would hang down more with leaf springs when it is up in the air?

Very Nice Job sir, and good choice going under the axle and building it with the suspension unloaded so that even if you jack it up on the frame the axle will always clear the exhaust.

BTW did you just order a bunch of Mandrel bends and do this or what?

Also what 4 Link kit you running?

I had Flowmasters on my 69 when I bought it but changed them out to Magnaflows because I liked the sound of them better and it eliminated the drone at cruising speed.  Love the turn downs when I get my build in the "wrap up" stage I might turn mine down as well cleans up the back nicely.

Yea MikeStang it was a few mandrel bends to get it done.  I'm running the Ridetech Coilover Level 2, 4 link kit.  Should be night and day from how the car handled before. 

69FB, I almost went with Magnaflows but decided to try out the Borlas first.  Might change them out if I decide I don't like the sound.

My brother is running Borla's on his Shelby and it sounds great.  Love the look of your 4 link.  I decided to go with Total Control Products setup on mine.  Working on getting the car back together to drive till I can get the money together to start on the suspension and brakes.

I know this thread has served its purpose for the OP, posting this up for others who may come along trying to decide what mufflers exhaust to go with.

Dr. Gas X pipe (3" into 'x', 2.5" out to mufflers)

Spintech Sportsman series mufflers

2.5" over the axle & out the back

https://youtu.be/ps97RWlf4d0

P.S. -- if anyone knows how to embed video on this site, please let me know

i have the 3" long tube headers, x pipe, and Borla Pro XS Mufflers currently dumping down before the rear axle. 

sounds... very meh (But still loud... like.. just a lof of engine noise / air loud)  - untill above 3k - then it sounds AWESOME and throaty / angry.    Thinking about adding resonators and have it go out the back.