RCE1313

Muffler Options

Hey guys, I'm in the process of wrapping up my build and I'm at the spot where I need to determine my muffler choice.  I know this is a subjective topic but was curious on what others are running.  Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Borla, Dynomax? 

My setup is a 351W with Cleveland heads stroked to a 408.  I have hooker long tube headers and pypes SS 2.5" x-pipe.  Any suggestions? 

any turbo muffler would sound great. i don't like the volume of baffled or how restrictive they are. if you want loud then get a perforated tube style muffler, still quieter than baffled at cruise and loud at wot. my $.02

single chamber 10 series flowmasters are the most obnoxious mufflers in the world . you will get the most power with straight thru mufflers like magnaflows . the magnaflows that have fiberglass filled are not very obnoxious inside the car.

Dynomax Super Turbo's Out Flow Slowmasters and are not obnoxious at cruising speed and there is no drone in the car, AND they are about 1/2 the price.

Magnaflows are awesome and sound deep and throaty..They flow better than slowmasters and don't drone at Cruise speed.

Lastly the Borla Pro XS mufflers sound and look good but are louder than the Magnaflows at Idle and Cruise but not as loud as the Slowmasters... These are what I am running right now but am going to swap them out to either Dynomax Super Turbos or Magnaflows because I want my car just a bit quieter.

Dynomax Super Turbo's Out Flow Slowmasters and are not obnoxious at cruising speed and there is no drone in the car, AND they are about 1/2 the price.

What's the point in using the Dynomax's then . hysterical.gif

I despise Borlas and Cherrry Bombs but that's besides the point.

You can hear several mufflers in this video and on other youtube video . Simply type in the name of the muffler.

Here's a bunch of "slowmasters" . At 3 minutes into the video, they test the series 10 with two baffles and it is the only muffler that you can clearly hear the can lope at idle with . They are also louder than all the others . The single chambers mufflers are even louder, lol.

Rather than start a new thread and since I believe it is germane to RCE1313 query, what type of inlet and outlet have y'all been using with the long tube hooker headers and oval mufflers? I.E., Center/Center, Center/Offset, Offset/Offset, Offset/Center, ect.?

BT

Hey guys, I'm in the process of wrapping up my build

First up, what is this "wrapping up my build" thingy of which you speak? That would be a phrase of which I'm not familiar.

Second, 11 posts and you're finishing a build? Dang, I'm jealous. I searched for your posts but found nuttin. Any chance you can post some pics please?

Barnett Im getting old and like to hear the radio in the car sometimes and not the muffler drone Hehe hence the Dynomax Turbos...Plus they flow better and sound better at WOT than the Slowmasters

sorry, can't hear what you said, just got back from driving my 427 with series 10 slowmasters.

Don't forget, in that video, there is an X-pipe in the exhaust.  The X-pipe tends to smooth out the exhaust note so lopey or choppy idles are a little less noticeable.  I am happy with the Borla's on mine.  But keep in mind that as the packing inside a straight through muffler wears, burns, whatever, the turbulence of the gasses passing through the perforated tube increase, Thus, increasing the resistance to flow.  So the natural wear of the packing a drawback to a straight through muffler.  For that reason, I don't run straight through mufflers on my daily drivers.

Don't forget, in that video, there is an X-pipe in the exhaust.  The X-pipe tends to smooth out the exhaust note so lopey or choppy idles are a little less noticeable.  I am happy with the Borla's on mine.  But keep in mind that as the packing inside a straight through muffler wears, burns, whatever, the turbulence of the gasses passing through the perforated tube increase, Thus, increasing the resistance to flow.  So the natural wear of the packing a drawback to a straight through muffler.  For that reason, I don't run straight through mufflers on my daily drivers.

the magnaflows wrap the tube with steel wool to eliminate this problem . also, if a car is not a daily driver, even the mufflers without the steel wool wrap will last a very, very, long timewiy

One reason I chose the Borla's on my Mach 1 is because they use a layer of standed Stainless Steel mesh around the tube to help stop the packing material from burning out.  I just don't know how long the packing lasts, 50K, 100K, 200K miles.  Its so gradual I'm sure most people would not notice it.  I know Borla advertises a 1 million mile warranty, but what does that really mean?  The way my mind seems to function, on my daily drivers I didn't want to spend a couple hundred dollars on mufflers, then 50K-75K miles later start wondering what condition they were inside, or do they now sound different.  So, for those I use Stainless Steel "Slowmasters", as you guys call them.  But versions with Delta Flow and certainly tail pipes.  May not be as great a flowing muffler as others but unless a baffle comes loose inside it should always function the same.

First up, what is this "wrapping up my build" thingy of which you speak? That would be a phrase of which I'm not familiar.

Second, 11 posts and you're finishing a build? Dang, I'm jealous. I searched for your posts but found nuttin. Any chance you can post some pics please?

RPM, Well its been a 4 year build but should be finishing up in 2 months (fingers crossed).  I posted a few pictures on my profile of the first few pictures of my car when I picked it up 4 years ago and a few of the pictures as it stands this week. 

I was really leaning toward the Borla mufflers and reading everyone's post about liking them confirmed for me to get the Borla's.  I went with the XR-1's which I know will be loud but I rather be too loud then too quite haha.  Thanks everyone for the advice and info. 

HaHa... Yeah Wrapping up a build is a term I heard once, then I started driving my build and it started needing more building HaHa.

I like the Borla's but just to loud for me still, altho it also has a lot to do with the Headers, or manifolds you run as well as the type of pipe and size.

My car actually seemed a bit quieter with the Shorty headers I built than it does with the Stepped Long tubes I now have LOL, funny thing is it seemed to have more power with the Shorties over the stepped long tubes...

Plus the material your exhaust is built from will have a bit of an effect as well.

I'm running Hooker Aerochambers.  Love em.  They aren't so loud that you can't carry on a conversation in the car at idle or at cruise.  When you stand on it though, they wake up and sound great.

V

I posted a few pictures on my profile of the first few pictures of my car when I picked it up 4 years ago and a few of the pictures as it stands this week. 

Wow, that's quite the transformation. Very nice!

I have a 392w stroker with Magnaflow x pipe 2.5 kit, never had experience with the other exhaust brands except for flowmaster. Right now, Im in love with my magnaflows. 

rwcstang, your exhaust sounds bada**!  I hope my turns out similar to that sound.  Your exhaust resembles the sound of a new mustang and I like that.

V

Wow, that's quite the transformation. Very nice!

Thanks RPM!  I know it will never be a complete wrap up on the car but I'm ready to be driving it again and messing around with little things again haha. 

rwcstang, your exhaust sounds bada**!  I hope my turns out similar to that sound.  Your exhaust resembles the sound of a new mustang and I like that.

hahha Thanks, if you have a decent cam it will sound close to it.