bryonbush

rear brake conversions

So ive read through the older threads and i think it just made things worse. I've been looking at doing a disc conversion for the back brakes and exploring all options. any times the threads ive read over on the VMF covered stangs but not the 69/70. So here's where im at: ive been looking at the wilwoods and others but my biggest concern is the parking brake lines as i dont want to create a new line set up. what have you guys used with good results? 

I have Wilwoods, with the drum parking brake. I just used a Lokar cable kit. I see that you don't want to create a new cable setup, but that's what I did, and it has worked flawless. I like it better than the original setup.

Lokar has hardware to make a kit yourself.  Wilwood now offers a kit that's ready to go, assuming you have the internal parking brake style kit.  It's here - http://www.wilwood.com/Hardware/HardwareProd.aspx?itemno=330-9371 You can get it from your favorite Wilwood supplier. 

330-9371-lg.jpg

vintage venom is also an option. similiar to mustang steve's.

they went out of business a while back, went to look at the site cuz i was wanting to do a cobra/GT conversion to my dads 68 convertible...Mustang Steve is the only one selling these kits now.

they went out of business a while back, went to look at the site cuz i was wanting to do a cobra/GT conversion to my dads 68 convertible...Mustang Steve is the only one selling these kits now.

No kidding. Good to know. Did you want the vintage venom kit specifically, or just any kit? reason I'm asking is I may switch to the mustang steve kit when i decide to switch my rims up.

No kidding. Good to know. Did you want the vintage venom kit specifically, or just any kit? reason I'm asking is I may switch to the mustang steve kit when i decide to switch my rims up.

I wanted to go with VV specifically cuz they had their spacer between the rotor hat and hub, so I like that it cleaned up a little and made it look like I did no mods to the wheel or brakes. also, when VV was up, I read on their site that the FRPP brembo Cobra R caliper was compatible, so I wanted purchase the brembo caliper and re-use my cobra calipers on my dad 68. let me know if you are willing to sell the kit.. i still may be interested. 

I wanted to go with VV specifically cuz they had their spacer between the rotor hat and hub, so I like that it cleaned up a little and made it look like I did no mods to the wheel or brakes. also, when VV was up, I read on their site that the FRPP brembo Cobra R caliper was compatible, so I wanted purchase the brembo caliper and re-use my cobra calipers on my dad 68. let me know if you are willing to sell the kit.. i still may be interested. 

Tried to send a PM, but your inbox is full.

has anyone here went from the stock single piston rotor to a wilwood 4 piston?

Are you asking if anyone has used a Wilwood caliper with stock hubs and rotors? While it's possible that someone has I am not aware of any that have. Even if there was a caliper that would fit the stock rotor you would then have to machine a custom mount.  Wilwood does not offer a 'replacement' caliper for these cars.

Are you asking if anyone has used a Wilwood caliper with stock hubs and rotors? While it's possible that someone has I am not aware of any that have. Even if there was a caliper that would fit the stock rotor you would then have to machine a custom mount. Wilwood does not offer a 'replacement' caliper for these cars.

Yes. Their website shows a kit that uses the stock rotors so was seeing if it was possible to buy that kit without the rotors since mine are new. But wondering if going to a 4 piston is worth the money over stock. I've always had pretty crappy brakes even though everything is new except for the cylinder and booster.

Yes. Their website shows a kit that uses the stock rotors so was seeing if it was possible to buy that kit without the rotors since mine are new. But wondering if going to a 4 piston is worth the money over stock. I've always had pretty crappy brakes even though everything is new except for the cylinder and booster.

Are you referring to the 'Classic Series' brake kit, # 140-13476?  That front kit is designed to fit inside a factory Disc Brake style 14" wheel.  It uses a stock STYLE rotor in that the hub, hat, and rotor are integrated. However, it is not a Ford piece.

brake_kit_140-13476-lg.jpg